Is F10 very noisy?

JLRolex

Just changed my E60 now got the 1.5 yr old F10. Can F10 gurus advise is the noise proofing for F10 very bad? The road noise seeps in so loud that it is unbearable. Can hear all road noise and even vehicles outside. New tyres just changed today. So noise cannot be from tyres.
My former E60 super quiet and very well sound proof by default.

Also realize the damn doors of the F10 feels like Japanese cars, like Milo tin can.

Is this normal?

Tks:huhhuh:

Re: Is F10 very noisy?

Mine the soundproofing is still ok

But I agree the door sounds suck. Cannot beat Lexus one.

The driver's door sounds especially like tin can

Mine so far is pretty alright albeit I tend to play music... Fairly loudly. But hearing other vehicles seem to suggest there's something else, loose fitment somewhere? Got accident before or not?

Agree on door, my view on it is plasticky and not the solid whoooom. And I would know, was driving non Lexus japanese car before f10 which also probably explains why I don't notice the noise because the f10 is an improvement, :)

Any suggestions which shop can do sound proof? Saw the boot areas top panel (the place where u can mount woofers) got no insulation. Maybe sounds seeps n through this panel.
Actually funny to ask for sound proof, BMWs supposed to be famous for sound proof. Damn it.

I find f10's soundproofing to be quite good. No complains about it.

Regarding the door, BMW has decided to go with aluminum alloy for the material to save weight. Previously E60's door is steel.

from steel to aluminium alloy ... euro ncap got affected or not?
seems like not ... 5-series achieved best executive ncap for 2010
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7450/topcelemaisiguremasinit.jpg

helbreath;802504 said:
I find f10's soundproofing to be quite good. No complains about it.

Regarding the door, BMW has decided to go with aluminum alloy for the material to save weight. Previously E60's door is steel.

Last edited by a moderator:

my e60 and f10 both quiet leh.
if u wana do sound proofing, start with single layer front doors, then double layers front door, then wheel arc, then floor bed, then rear door in tat order.
but i suspect maybe your tyre, ist RFT?

I'll disagree that F10 has any lesser sound proofing than E60.

Maybe you would like to test drive a unit from PML to compare any diff.

I think about the same as e60, but the soundproof in f10 is definitely not as good as what some reviews say. A good jap made car is quieter for sure. This is very evident when you are waiting at a junction and the sound of moving traffic starts seeping in.

On the move the rft roar drowns out most other sound.

I had a 05 e60 523I. Pretty quiet and solid
Now 2011 F10 I dont think is that big a difference, Still pretty quiet in the cabin, only noticeable Windnoise at the A pillars above 130kph ( NSHW)
Road noise are pretty much subjected to tyres, When I was on the default 17 inch RFT, ride was pretty cushy, then a loaner 18 inch RFT (While waiting for the 20s) ride become more choppy but still quiet.
20 inch cast wheels with Bridgestones S001... Pretty noisy tyres but better grip and miles better handling and ride compare to 18 RFT plus stock rim
After a few tousands Kilometers in, tyres seems " run-in" or my ear drums are muffled- seems ok on normal cruising..
P/S: Bridgestones S001 is not a Quiet tyre. Well discussed in international forum

F10 is pretty quiet with good soundproofing even with supersprint quad

U want quiet.... change to Michelin pilot super sports.... guaranteed satisfaction. My next tires.....

BTW, the only quieter Jap cars will probably be Lexus and the likes.

Owned an E60 and now F10 although not directy one after the another, I don't seems to have this problem. both on stock RFT 17" for E60 and 18" RFT for F10.

F10 is definitely quiet.. It might be your car had accident before, thus
the sound from everywhere..

The door i agree is lighter, due to light material used, but still are
strong enough to withstand accident..

Why dont you compare with other F10's and you will know it ?

My F10 is also more noisy than my previous E60.

Any1 did soundproofing? Any major improvemnt after that?

John

TS should try out other F10 .. cuz noise is relative.... If needed can do 2 layer of sound proofing on the doors, and also the tyre well. I've driven both E60 and F10 ... felt they are comparable actually.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daristan

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back