Is it normal?

Nattsg

Hi all,

Just to check, I just took over a 316 2010, prob a E90 LCI. I noticed there was some steam/smoke after each drive and a smell (burnt/sweet) and I sent for a full check w my garage, was told to replace the valve cover gasket.

Did so on Thurs last week and noticed that the smell and steam/smoke sometimes still have. Popped the bonnet and see the newly cleaned tray has some fresh oil stains, not a lot but drops there.

Just to ask, is it normal?

Re: Is it normal?

if you see steam/smoke or smell burnt, 99.9% oil leak symtoms
if you had replaced the valve cover gasket ... go back to the workshop to check for other possible leak
i went back to the workshop to have the valve cover gasket replaced 3 times before the oil leak stop

Have a look while they do it next time ...... Make sure its properly sealed and there is no left over gunk over the gasket areas. Since the top would be off .... Have a peek at the top of the engine and see if can clean off any sludge ....

Check the oil filter housing areas as well.

The smell is likely due to leak.
And the fumes are typically white, and smell burnt/sweet because the leaked oil from engine drips onto your (hot) exhaust, therefore sizzles and turned to smoke.

It is likely other leaks and may require a change of seals....

Question, is it dangerous?
It is common but there were cases (on other car brands) about combusting due to excessive leak. (可大可小)

So please get it checked...

thanks all! will go back to garage on Mon and ask why still have since I paid more to do a comprehensive check

EO leakage is normal for E90, almost everyone here encounter that.
either u change parts by parts or thorough check like me and change every parts related.
total cost with parts (stockie) and labour SGD$900.

to have a safe and sound drive that's what I should do at minimum.

kudos Aaron (guru) who share his lobangs.

-change my solenoid
-fully changed all wear & tears (from water-housing to tubes, from gasket to valves)

Yeah, will be bringing it to the garage again tmr morn and tell them to find that leak. I posted some pics now to show how i deduce its leaking. The tray is cleaned up by me and after a drive u can see oil on the tray and prob thats how i get smoke and the smell after each drive.

View attachment 54991View attachment 54992

Is it normal?

Nattsg;1034528 said:
Yeah, will be bringing it to the garage again tmr morn and tell them to find that leak. I posted some pics now to show how i deduce its leaking. The tray is cleaned up by me and after a drive u can see oil on the tray and prob thats how i get smoke and the smell after each drive.

View attachment 54991View attachment 54992

My unqualified eye says vacuum pump seal is leaking, unless the gasket was fitted badly. Time to bang table. Cheerssss.

Popped the bonnet this am before drive the pool that u see got more accumulated oil. How much does a vaccuum pump cost for a bmw? im using Riverview garage cuz my past cars were w them but they were jap makes so I may have to switch to bvo if they are not that good

Add another possibility to your case - last time, i had EO filled up my spark plug recess till it overflowed. Forgot how the leak comes about.

Is it normal?

Nattsg;1034548 said:
Popped the bonnet this am before drive the pool that u see got more accumulated oil. How much does a vaccuum pump cost for a bmw? im using Riverview garage cuz my past cars were w them but they were jap makes so I may have to switch to bvo if they are not that good

Unlikely you will need to replace the entire vacuum pump. Just the seal IMO.

Now that you mentioned it, I had terrible experiences sending my bimmers to workshops that were otherwise awesome with my Jap rides (disclaimer - not saying RV is one of those as I've no experience with them). The design and hence repair methods are somewhat different. I only send mine to Rod's now. Other site sponsor workshops are great too. Most importantly, get someone familiar with bimmers.

if you have not replace the vacum pump gasket ... can consider replace it

my case is 3x worse than you
oil leak fill up the entire plate (the silver color)
it drip onto the exhaust manifold with smoke coming out each time i stop at traffic light
during that period, when i drive i was so scared i'm the next bmw kena stomped caught fire

i change the valve cover gasket 3 times until the oil leak stopped
replacing the valve cover gasket require precision workmanship to ensure 100% not 99.9% sealed

while replacing the valve cover gasket, the technician must scrap and clean the surface sibei sibei clean then put in the new gasket ... then put in glue/gum not too much not too little so that it sealed the valve cover sibei sibei sibei tight

in extreme cases, the valve cover screw and washer need to be replaced too. because of the screw and washer is not "air tight" ... oil will also leak out. the factory fitted valve cover is air tight precision. hence, it requires precision workmanship from the technician to make sure the valve cover gasket is replaced as good as factory fitted

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;1034579 said:
my case is 3x worse than you
oil leak fill up the entire plate (the silver color)
it drip onto the exhaust manifold with smoke coming out each time i stop at traffic light
during that period, when i drive i was so scared i'm the next bmw kena stomped caught fire

i change the valve cover gasket 3 times until the oil leak stopped
replacing the valve cover gasket require precision workmanship to ensure 100% not 99.9% sealed

Same here.... that's why must always get BMW experts.

Took my car back. Mech replaced a new gasket and told me he changed some vacuum pump o ring or something can't really make out cuz his Indian accent was strong.

Drove abit ytd and no smell no stain no smoke so far will monitor but hope it is resolved. Hope this thread will help others in the archives if they search for similar cases.

Congrats bro :)

Nattsg;1034824 said:
Took my car back. Mech replaced a new gasket and told me he changed some vacuum pump o ring or something can't really make out cuz his Indian accent was strong.

Drove abit ytd and no smell no stain no smoke so far will monitor but hope it is resolved. Hope this thread will help others in the archives if they search for similar cases.

Yup, do monitor and see the progress of it.. Best to check it in the morning before you drive off for work..

Just took in to WS and was diagnosed that similarly my Vacuum pump and Rocker Cover Gaskets need to be replaced. This apparently was the cause of my topping up of 1L EO every 1500km. No smoke and no other symptoms other than oil loss. Anyone else have this issue?

jetspeed88;1065103 said:
Just took in to WS and was diagnosed that similarly my Vacuum pump and Rocker Cover Gaskets need to be replaced. This apparently was the cause of my topping up of 1L EO every 1500km. No smoke and no other symptoms other than oil loss. Anyone else have this issue?

Very common problem, a lot of threads on this... just do a search.

seanskye;1065146 said:
Very common problem, a lot of threads on this... just do a search.

Yup... reading up on those and came across your trip to ws with Casper77. My symptoms much lesser but anyway my stuff off-topic for this thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8823

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back