Key in water and PML warranty period

fabsmiche

just wondering if anyone has encountered the same experience like me. my car key was submerged in water for a good 30 seconds, well it still works. i am thinking of sending it to PML to check if it's still under warranty. anyone knows how long the warranty period is ? (the previous owner lost his car key so he bought a new one, of which blur me kinda soaked it in water for good 30 seconds).

if it's not under warranty, is there elsewhere that i can get it checked ?

Re: Key in water and PML warranty period

fabsmiche said:
just wondering if anyone has encountered the same experience like me. my car key was submerged in water for a good 30 seconds, well it still works. i am thinking of sending it to PML to check if it's still under warranty. anyone knows how long the warranty period is ? (the previous owner lost his car key so he bought a new one, of which blur me kinda soaked it in water for good 30 seconds).

if it's not under warranty, is there elsewhere that i can get it checked ?

Hmm, I think if you bring it in to PML, they'll be happy to check it our for you at no charge. If indeed it requires repair, then whether or not it's still under warrenty won't matter, they'll still charge you.

I think modern electronics can tahan water OK. I once went swimming with my Nokia phone for about 5 minutes and it still worked after I left it to dry for a few days :lol:

eggz

For electronic devices that have been wet you need to wait for it to dry b4 switching it on...well thats what i was told...cheers

Re: Key in water and PML warranty period

eggz said:
I think modern electronics can tahan water OK. I once went swimming with my Nokia phone for about 5 minutes and it still worked after I left it to dry for a few days :lol:

:shock: :whattheh:

I reckon the thorough drying part is very important before switching on. Had the same thing happen to a pager.. However, I didn't dry it properly enough and the LCD had bubbles form inside.. subsequently died a few days later.. It went through the washing machine treatment..

keys

Your keys should not pose much of a problem and factory seals them up pretty well as there is no internal battery for consumers to change. Thus the water should not be able to make it way in. The new land rover discovery (made by BMW) also has a water proof key that can be immersed up to 5m or something like that.

The reason to remove the batteries immediately after immersion is to reduce the chances of galvanic corrosion. The potential difference from the battery provides the juice the pass currents between the copper tracks on the circuit boards and causes then to etch away and soon they no longer conduct electricity the way it was designed to.

Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
747liveapp
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back