KW V1 vs V2 and V3

Terry

Legendary 10 Years
thinking of getting KW coilovers...

need review of how the V1 feels...

and is the extra rebound adjustable for the V3 over the V2 worth it?

actually.. whats the rebound adjustable for? can someone explain in layman terms of how it feels... and what kind of difference in feel it makes for daily driving..

thanks

Re: KW V1 vs V2 and V3

go for the best!!! kw3

Terry;584175 said:
thinking of getting KW coilovers...

need review of how the V1 feels...

and is the extra rebound adjustable for the V3 over the V2 worth it?

actually.. whats the rebound adjustable for? can someone explain in layman terms of how it feels... and what kind of difference in feel it makes for daily driving..

thanks

Hi Terry,

here you go:
http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

I on KWv1...

Rebound a bit hard but a non-issue. Just gonna turn on ur adaptive-driving-habits

got it for budget constraint, but if you ask me, if got tones of $$$ I'll still pick v1 coz... I lazy to adjust and adjust and adjust and adjust... hahahahahaha...

Unless you are tracking your car on a serious level, rebound settings are not very applicable (V3). Good to have the option to change bump settings (V2) though, so you can customise how much damping you really like. Also, I seriously doubt there are more than a handful of people out there who really know how to set rebound settings to your usage optimisation. So I would estimate, 90% of the V3 owners would have paid extra for a setting that nobody knows how to correctly set. Stick to V2, coz thats what I'll go for too. KW makes one of the better coilovers out there with really good high-speed damping (which is for absorbing small bumps on the road). It has okayish low-speed damping, but for most applications, is already very good liao. Many years back, V3 uses better materials for the damper body, which V2 doesnt see. If they are now all from the same construction, then there's really no advantage paying more for something that one doesnt use, or worse still, the installer set wrong rebound setting and royally screws up your ride.

Racebred;586829 said:
Unless you are tracking your car on a serious level, rebound settings are not very applicable (V3). Good to have the option to change bump settings (V2) though, so you can customise how much damping you really like. Also, I seriously doubt there are more than a handful of people out there who really know how to set rebound settings to your usage optimisation. So I would estimate, 90% of the V3 owners would have paid extra for a setting that nobody knows how to correctly set. Stick to V2, coz thats what I'll go for too. KW makes one of the better coilovers out there with really good high-speed damping (which is for absorbing small bumps on the road). It has okayish low-speed damping, but for most applications, is already very good liao. Many years back, V3 uses better materials for the damper body, which V2 doesnt see. If they are now all from the same construction, then there's really no advantage paying more for something that one doesnt use, or worse still, the installer set wrong rebound setting and royally screws up your ride.

Very good and informative write up. Thanks. You are right on the low speed damping on the V2...not very comfortable. I am on V2...itchy wants to change to V3...now no more itchy...hahaha.

wt_know;587077 said:
so V1 & V2 low speed damping is hard huh ?

dont think V1's damping is made to be hard. It should be around the middle setting of what you can get in V2.

V2' damping (bump, or compression, only) is adjustable. So if it is hard, adjust it softer.

Most likely to get my KW V2 by next 2 weeks. Any bro/sis keen in my Eibach pro kit springs please feel free to contact me through PM.

btw its currently on E92.

Thanks all...

Racebred;586829 said:

But what I read from the KW manual looks different from what you described -

V2 has rebound adjustments
V3 has rebound and compression adjustments

Rebound is for dampening - Comfort. Adjust it for hard on track. Soft for street.
Compression (low speed) - for handling like oversteer / understeer, steering response & grip.

And you are right about installers doing royal screwups - Discovered it only after the ride feels weird but was told spring settling in etc.

Ignored the installers and checked the settings myself and discovered they set -

Rebound

- 80% hard (FL)
- 20% hard (FR)
- 30% hard (RL)
- 70% hard (RR)

Compression

- 50% hard (FL)
- 70% hard (FR)
- 30% hard (RL)
- 75% hard (RR)

So I adjusted the settings myself according to the principles laid out in the manual and its fine now.

Lesson learnt for myself - check it yourself with the manual in hand and ask the installer to prove to you that the click and turns of the KWs are to your satisfaction. Even if you do not know what is optimal - its better than to have someone screw the settings like the way they did mine - look at those percentages listed - each suspension is totally different for each wheel.

OT - This also reminds me of another installer with a wrong installation of the shims in my brakes resulting in screeching noises for a couple of months. The amount of time I wasted bedding in, changing brake pads - quite a bit.

Finally, I printed out the Brembo schematics and after some research, realised that the shims were installed in the wrong direction - totally dumb. Changed that and it's quiet now.

Nothing like doing it yourself.............

Indeed V2 is only rebound adjustable and V3 is compression and rebound adjustable.

Separately, KW's recommendations on what to adjust for handling and comfort at the track or the street, do not really fit long established industry truth but that is not to say that what they advise is incorrect. It is Important to note that the recommendation that KW makes regarding bump and rebound are specific to its own dampers because it has only a single adjuster and does not separate low and high speed. The main reason the advice is the way it is, is due to the fact that while their bump adjuster affects almost only the low speed bump, their rebound adjuster affects both low and high speed rebound. It's the simplest summary, specific to their dampers only.

==

Red Bean, good work on checking your dampers yourself. There are many who have gone through the same ridiculous problems from other workshop. The excuse given is always kind of the same, but none of them make sense. Same goes for brakes, tires, etc.

Always check things yourself, always invest at least a little bit of time to understand the basics and if the product or service supplier does not even know what you as a private individual could learn in a few hours, then they are nothing but installers and any and all of their advice can be disregarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

nghenry;623337 said:
any indication on price estimate with installation for V2 and V3?

Hi Henry,

sms Wilson for a quote: 9690 5511

cheers

hitmee;623343 said:
can help me advertise my gigolo service too?

alamak, not car related...............but gigolo can drive ya............................(MTL)

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88vinlol
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back