LCD Screen behind the driver's seat

Puny

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi all,

I am doing my research on any aftermarket LCD screen to be mounted behind the driver's seat as a toddler pacifier :oops:

Because the application is for very short travel distances, I do not need a particularly comprehensive system. I would actually prefer USB/Flash devices for input (opposed to DVD due to the bulk), and ideally easily mounted onto the metal headrest stalks. Batteries would be fine as the power source.

Thus to summarize,
Nice-to-haves but not necessary:
1) DVD slot
2) Car-charger

I've seen sales carts selling portable video devices, but they are usually handheld or built like photo frames thus not really mountable.

Philips has a few such products that come with headrest mountable brackets in the regions of $500-600. Not exactly cheap and a little overkill.

PET830_00_webImage370.jpg

Alternatively, I may just go the easy way out and try to find some headrest brackets/harnesses and get the handheld ones.

headrest_mount.gif

Thanks for any leads and suggestions in advance.

Re: LCD Screen behind the driver's seat

my cheap and easy suggestion would be to give a PSP to the toddler and encode some of his or her favourite cartoons in a MS duo card and let her watch away.

Otherwise, something like a roof mount DVD like this Necvox unit PV AMERICA, INC. would also be OK.

My kid uses a PSP. 2.5 years old. PSP is about S$280 thereabouts and has TV output now for the new version, perfect for plugging into the hotel TV when you reach your destination.

caySman;267112 said:
my cheap and easy suggestion would be to give a PSP to the toddler and encode some of his or her favourite cartoons in a MS duo card and let her watch away.
My kid uses a PSP. 2.5 years old. PSP is about S$280 thereabouts and has TV output now for the new version, perfect for plugging into the hotel TV when you reach your destination.
Haha, I happen to be reading about the PSP as well!.. $269 from Seow Choon online. There are car mounts, but most of them are window mounts - against the glaring tropical sun, it would be impossible to view. ~4.5" is reasonably good. Audio out to the car aux system and everything's set.

If there is a proper head-rest mount, native DivX/mp4 playback, it would really be perfect, the price is half the Philips set and definitely less bulky. Not the mention the multiple capabilities to play games and view pictures.

P.S. I recalled the PSP being in the region of ~$600 @ launch, thus it didn't come to mind initially

Thanks!

whoa that mount is sweet....where can you get that :)

eldwin;267118 said:
whoa that mount is sweet....where can you get that :)

Griffin Technology: RoadDock PSP

Can you believe, they are selling the strap + detachable 360deg adjustable mount for US$4.99 (retail price was US$39.99).:yikess: Unbelievable - I gotta check my eyes. Not sure of the shipping cost, but at US$4.99, it's a steal. However, I reckon it only fits the non-slim version of the PSP since there's no mention of the PSP Slim.

Group buy??
1 piece = US$28.31 (UPS shipping) = S$41/pc
3 pieces = US$43.14 (UPS shipping) = $63 ($21/pc)
5 pieces = US$53.12 (UPS shipping) = $77 ($15.40/pc)

on..lets go for the group buy :)

how abt the psp? you got yours already? grp buy also :)

eldwin;267122 said:
on..lets go for the group buy :)
how abt the psp? you got yours already? grp buy also :)
About the PSP, 2 versions (from HWZ forums)
1) PSP Slim $280.
2) PSP "Fat" $250.

PSP Slim is newer, does it even make sense to get the bulkier version just to fit the strap? I'm checking to see if the Griffin Roaddock can fit the Slim version as well. There is a thread in HardwareZone regarding the purchase of the PSP

www.hardwarezone.com - WTS PSP Slim ALL Colours Local Sets at $280nett.

If there's sufficient interest on the strap, maybe we will do the group buy for the strap only (easier to make 1 time payment and distribute cash-and-carry). With PSP, savings is not significant and it's easier to get direct from the retail shops as the variance is too small.

Will start a new thread once I find out if the Slim version is supported. Cheers.

eldwin,

I've started a new Group Buy thread on the PSP mods.. hehe..

As for the PSP, I would recommend you search for 'PSP' in Hardwarezone. There are about a dozen threads with people selling the PSP non-slim version with prices ranging from $160-$200+. A good price would be $200 inclusive of charger, screen protector and USB dual cable (charge + sync). Memorystick card is often seperately sold ($30-40).

I may get a used set. The reason is because it seems like it's the bundled unit that has the charger, battery, memory card etc and costs closer to $300-$350. For a non-latest version of the PSP, it may not seem so worth it. Alot of them are lelong-ing for $200-$220 all inclusive for a unit that's a couple of months old.

This is due to the release of the PSP Slim, Sony had apparently cut the price down to $280 so that grey goods/export sets cannot match the low pricing. This inevitably pressed the price of the used sets down tremendously, esp the "fat" version.

I've got both the PSP and the PSP slim (well, my kids have them) and the Slim is better in terms of weight and performance, but much of the accessories including pouches, etc are still a bit scarce with most still catering to the bulkier original PSP.

This strap is cool though. I'll add my name in to the group buy.

P.S. The PSP Slim can be had for $315 including an original game. Without the game, it's only $280. PM me if you're interested in the shop's location. :)

ecoquest;267148 said:
I've got both the PSP and the PSP slim (well, my kids have them) and the Slim is better in terms of weight and performance, but much of the accessories including pouches, etc are still a bit scarce with most still catering to the bulkier original PSP.

This strap is cool though. I'll add my name in to the group buy.

P.S. The PSP Slim can be had for $315 including an original game. Without the game, it's only $280. PM me if you're interested in the shop's location. :)

Thanks for the advice. My reason for getting the PSP is the same Puny...toddler pacifier :) so if the mount can hold the slim version will definitely go for it.

Can PM me the shop location? Will go get a new set if I cant get a good deal from Hardware Zone. Kam Sia!

Puny;267128 said:
eldwin,

I've started a new Group Buy thread on the PSP mods.. hehe..

As for the PSP, I would recommend you search for 'PSP' in Hardwarezone. There are about a dozen threads with people selling the PSP non-slim version with prices ranging from $160-$200+. A good price would be $200 inclusive of charger, screen protector and USB dual cable (charge + sync). Memorystick card is often seperately sold ($30-40).

I may get a used set. The reason is because it seems like it's the bundled unit that has the charger, battery, memory card etc and costs closer to $300-$350. For a non-latest version of the PSP, it may not seem so worth it. Alot of them are lelong-ing for $200-$220 all inclusive for a unit that's a couple of months old.

This is due to the release of the PSP Slim, Sony had apparently cut the price down to $280 so that grey goods/export sets cannot match the low pricing. This inevitably pressed the price of the used sets down tremendously, esp the "fat" version.

thanks will check out hardware zone....look what fatherhood has done to us :)

Puny;267115 said:
Haha, I happen to be reading about the PSP as well!.. $269 from Seow Choon online. There are car mounts, but most of them are window mounts - against the glaring tropical sun, it would be impossible to view. ~4.5" is reasonably good. Audio out to the car aux system and everything's set.

If there is a proper head-rest mount, native DivX/mp4 playback, it would really be perfect, the price is half the Philips set and definitely less bulky. Not the mention the multiple capabilities to play games and view pictures.

P.S. I recalled the PSP being in the region of ~$600 @ launch, thus it didn't come to mind initially

Thanks!
LOL if you read about it in digital life, that's my baby...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rajabaji1
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back