life span of auto tranny?

snowman

hi, roughly whats the life span of a BMW auto tranny which is under normal driving condition?? 200000km sounds right???

120,000 - 150,000 km

snowman,

eh, that i'm not too sure. i've also heard that we shouldn't change ATF though... better wait for the lao jiaos to reply...

my old E36 went 225000 km... shifting was getting rough... did a poll on the web and got an average of 245000 km for the tranny life span...

snowman said:
louis said:
120,000 - 150,000 km
oh... so izzit advisable to change the ATF?? cos i understand that its not recommended to do so

I got mine changed at 60,000km on the recommendation of an independent workshop.

Juz to add that I changed ATF for abt $120 if I remember correctly.

snowman said:
any difference after changing ATF??

I did it with my regular servicing where engine oil etc aslso changed so can't tell if smoother gearshift due to what. Sorry can't be more helpful on this point.

I know for volvo they change ATF at 75k. Will probably change mine sooner than that as preventive maintenance.
Didnt know BM didnt recommend change at all.

ATF oils in BMWs are life long which means there is no need to replace the oils at oil, unless you choose to replace every 40k km then please do so coz no one in PML will remind you.

Cost to replace a tranny for E39 would cost 4k plus excluding labour in PML. It is not a new gearbox though, RMFD only.

Modern trannys have a span of 200k to 280k so don't worry until your gearbox light shows. :)

I can't understand why BMW says that their box are non serviceable. If so...why they bother to make a drain hole and ATF filter parts ??

I dun buy that...but since mine is a old car E34...I basically got nothing to lose if my box kaput on me.

FYI....BMW beside using ZF tranny boxes...they also have a japaness maker that does for BMW in Japan. I can't remember the name....but I know its the same maker that makes boxes for Nissan too.

For me...20,000km change ATF and see if filter is dirty....my pro active way of prolonging the life span of my box.

they have a drain pipe to effect repairs in times of tranny failure. basically they designed the TC in such a way, and also gave instructions, that it wouldnt ever be opened for servicing, simply coz it's a very delicate pressurised system. and anyone who's not trained to handle it will damage it, and then it could become an additional cost to BMW should it still be under warrenty.

I heard someone told me that the BMW unit is a use and discard unit....no repair is possible as its a sealed unit....which makes it sounds a bit tacky...cos if no servicing is possible...then why are there parts for it ?

-OT- BTW...can CHANGE SIGGY OR NOT !! I on a diet leh !! Makes me feel hungry leh....

Gonna report your siggy as offending liao. -end OT

Ghostrider said:
I heard someone told me that the BMW unit is a use and discard unit....no repair is possible as its a sealed unit....which makes it sounds a bit tacky...cos if no servicing is possible...then why are there parts for it ?

-OT- BTW...can CHANGE SIGGY OR NOT !! I on a diet leh !! Makes me feel hungry leh....

Gonna report your siggy as offending liao. -end OT
Bro. Look closely. There's a dead rat in the box. You sure you wanna eat it? :whattheh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dangnhapfun88

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back