Lowering Spring vs Coilovers?

Re: Lowering Spring vs Coilovers?

ok guys, my mod is very simple. Just to lower my ride to compliment 19" looks while not riding harsher than OEM 17 RFTs. that's all. I dont wanna do too much to the car as i'm just used to love the handling of my E90 for now. I dont wanna mod until like driving a Evo IX kind'a bouncing here and there while my wife screaming at me at the back seat and my 4 year old son throwing up on my new gray leather seat and carpet.......you know...! heheheeee

chickenbackside;155700 said:
There is only ONE type of Koni FSD. Just like there is only one type of Nokia N93.

They should be in the price range of $1400-$1500 for a set of 4. You can get them from BVO. You can also get KW's from BVO since I saw you post on the KW thread.

BVO Auto
Blk 15, Sin Ming Ind Est #01-111
Tel: 64551566

Some info/review on Koni FSD's:

Koni FSD. The first shock absorber offering superior road-holding without compromising comfort.

KONI FSD Dampers Improve Handling Without the Traditional Sacrifice in Ride Quality

aiyah....just called up BVO, they no longer carry Koni product lah......who else?

Gombat;155742 said:
if u just want looks, just cut your current springs...........ride comfort should be retained.

You ok not??.. you cut the springs... your spring rate gone, wear and tear on the shocks also wear out like no tomorrow, ON TOP of that, you're whole attribute of the car will change, it'll make handling worse than better...

Gombat;155921 said:
If you remember his first post he is only going for looks...................... for what u described, u have miss out one very important equation, strut bars.

Strut bars don't do anything but just helping the chassis to flex less.. hence stiffening it abit, but hardly can feel jackshit... nothing more, IF for looks..at least you lower the car, pple can see that it's nice and lowered, till now .. i dunno who wld buy a strut bar for looks.. cause firstly no one frm outside can see unless you open the bonnet at every traffic light to show off ur oh so wonderful strut bar.

wilman2772;155923 said:
Strut bars?? I don't think so....

Swaybars are the stuff to go for in terms of improving handling.

'The Great White'

I agree here with Wilson, this is something that has been proven to cause minimal roll and hence giving the car a much better handling ride, brands ranging from hanmann, UUC, H&R etc...

chickenbackside;155927 said:
I agree with Wilson.

No difference when I put in my strut bars. After I took them out, also no difference.

But SWAY BARS, you can definitely feel the difference. You car is much flatter in the corners. People say it doesn't change the ride comfort of your car, but from my experience, it does. The car will ride stiffer, especially during lateral movements.

correct brudder.

Gombat;155928 said:
Can explain your rational, interested to learn about handling and performance...........
This statement frm you abit off... cause frm the post you gave to tomting.. it sounded like you knew ur shit till i see u typing telling him " if for looks cut the springs, "not only that... cut only ONE spring??.. then the other 3 leh ??..

Gombat;155933 said:
I can feel the difference leh......... sway bars, my car come with front and rear as standard, now a days BMW's got no sway bars meh???

ALL freaking cars come standard with sway bars la, you buy thicker ones.. mostly also much lighter than the original ones...

tom_ting;155990 said:
aiyah....just called up BVO, they no longer carry Koni product lah......who else?

Dude, you can try asking BVO or telling them what you need.. they should noe, or if you're pretty set on em' Koni's i think J4C does carry them... anyways.. don't rush.. do abit more research .. who noes.. you might change ur mind and go for something else.

Shaaz.

Gombat
If u want a car to handle seriously good.... a good suspension set up is the way to go..Let's not talk bout race set up but for street application, an indepedently adjustable rebound and compression shock coupled with constant spring rate will impress you tremendously. The handling character of your will be re-defined.

U dont need those uprated anti roll bar nor strut bar at all...

TripleM;156016 said:
Gombat
If u want a car to handle seriously good.... a good suspension set up is the way to go..Let's not talk bout race set up but for street application, an indepedently adjustable rebound and compression shock coupled with constant spring rate will impress you tremendously. The handling character of your will be re-defined.

Very true brother.. by changing to a coilover set alone will already show alot of improvement, by adding an uprated/aftermarket thicker sway-bars... it makes it even better ...

:thumbsup:

Very very well said Shaaz!!

Gombat : I tink u need to spend more time in reading up 1st........cutting of springs was done only in the '70s when there ain't many aftermarket tuners with proper lowering sports springs kits.

'The Great White'

TripleM;156016 said:
Gombat

actually, my mind is set on Koni FSD + H&R, now you make me wanna think twice...
but coilovers is so much stiffer which i wouldnt want as coilover is mainly meant for tracking purpose.

Ahbengdriver;155925 said:
How long can the coilover last before u need a replacement. Or never need to?
The wear/tear component of any suspension system would usually be the dampers/shock absorbers. Powder-coated springs can last a very long time. Either the damper cartridges are replaced or the compression material inside the catridges can be replaced although I think it's usually the former. Replacement of cartridges is moderately labour intensive and could cost close to installing a new suspension (referring to labour cost). Bearing this in mind, a set of improperly matches springs/dampers may be just as costly in the long run with more frequent replacement and/or compromised handling.

As for duration of use, I guess it should last several years (3-4?) at least under normal usage, although it's not uncommon to hear people complaining about poor rebound after just 1-2 years of usage. Perhaps some of the members who've kept their suspension for a long time can enlighten. Even stock cars on stock suspension behave/handle quite differently after a couple of years at factory height.

The thing about suspension systems is that, after trying out a new/improved system, almost no one will revert back in their future setups.

Cheers.

tom_ting;156127 said:
coilovers is so much stiffer which i wouldnt want as coilover is mainly meant for tracking purpose.
Hi tom_ting, generally, any system with a significant drop look-wise is going to feel stiffer. If comfort is higher on your priority list - even lowering springs (with less drop and less aggressive spring rate) may accomplish your desired effect - all with improved handling over stock.

I reckon coilovers are popular because of the ability for adjustments. If you drop it to it's lowest setting as well as adjust it for aggressive damping, it will be very good for track use, but it would most certainly be uncomfortable as well. Setting to a conservative height and moderate damping can still provide reasonably comfortable rides - you do not need to set to the more aggressive setting just because coilovers have the potential to be uber aggressive.

Regardless of the route you take, It boils down to your application - there are many users with just lowering springs alone and it already accomplished 99% of what their owners require - looks and handling.

If you are still deciding, perhaps u can check the various configurations out during the gatherings, Determine if lowering springs handle good enough and on the opposite end, determine if coilovers are comfortable enough for u. You may be pleasantly surprised either way & do share ur findings with us. :)

tom_ting;156127 said:
actually, my mind is set on Koni FSD + H&R, now you make me wanna think twice...
but coilovers is so much stiffer which i wouldnt want as coilover is mainly meant for tracking purpose.

You really have to know what your specific requirements and priorities are first.

For me although I track and love the handling that coilovers give, I also gotta think that I only have 1 car to drive my old parents around and track at Sepang. 99% of the time, I'm driving in Singapore within the speed limit. I have my own comfort and the comfort of my loved ones (AND potential NAGGING) to consider, which far surpasses the need for my car to corner flatly at 120kmh. But this is changing as I track more.

Best thing to do is come for one of our meetups and ask for taxi rides in the many configurations that our members have on our rides.That way, your eyes would be open a lot wider rather than just simply reading and imagining.

tom_ting;156127 said:

FYG, most if not all coilovers that u get straight from manufacturers ( w/o customizing for higher spring rates ) are quite comfortable to be honest. And don't forget, ur car is E90, a modern car....the comfort and luxury are already built in for the car. Last but not least, car seats play a pivotal role too as far as comfort is concerned. The stock seats in your car absorb all the humps n bumps, unlike those seats used for track.

Seriously, take a taxi ride in a similar car like yours whose owners had already put on some coilovers or lowering springs and feel the difference.

Cheers

I have cut springs, ordered shortened springs, put compression kit onto stock springs, they all didn't do too well on my previous cars. Killed the stock shocks pretty quickly, some were noisy as you go round undulated road.

So far I have been pretty please with KW3 as far as comfort is concerned. There's quite a fair bit of tuning available on these coilovers, and I have yet to fine tune the suspension set up. However, I am pretty please with them. My only gripes being the $3.5k cost.

Tom Ting

I think you may also consider Bilstein's PSS series, can lower to your prefered height and can adjust comfort settings. I am on it, and I felt that it actually absorb all the bumps and humps much more composed than when I was only on Springs/stock shocks.

I would consider a coilover set to be a sound investment, for improving your car's handling, thus enabling you to enjoy ur car much better, and on top of it, looks good.. :D

KONI FSD, I believe J4C stock it, so maybe you can go over and check with them. As for Bilstein, u can PM Wilman lor... :)

Kiddy M;156558 said:
Tom Ting

I think you may also consider Bilstein's PSS series, can lower to your prefered height and can adjust comfort settings. I am on it, and I felt that it actually absorb all the bumps and humps much more composed than when I was only on Springs/stock shocks.

Kiddy_M, r u on PSS9? So its more comfy vs ur stock? I find the stock setup extremely bumpy. Initially I thought its the runflats but it still feels the same after changing to normal tyres.

hoks;156599 said:
Kiddy_M, r u on PSS9? So its more comfy vs ur stock? I find the stock setup extremely bumpy. Initially I thought its the runflats but it still feels the same after changing to normal tyres.

hoks,

if its just the bumpiness that concerns you, check your tire pressures first. perhaps they've been over-inflated. also, normal tires also come with sidewalls of different stiffness so this may be a factor as well.

Kiddy M;156558 said:
Tom Ting

I would consider a coilover set to be a sound investment, for improving your car's handling, thus enabling you to enjoy ur car much better, and on top of it, looks good.. :D

KONI FSD, I believe J4C stock it, so maybe you can go over and check with them. As for Bilstein, u can PM Wilman lor... :)

H&R can give me the height i want, so i probably go with FSD.
PSS is coilover series?

Bilstein's coilover for BMW street application comes in two variants:
PSS => Height adjustable only..Shock damping is pre-set for a specific application
PSS9 => Height + combined rebound/compression adjustability

louis;156628 said:
hoks,

if its just the bumpiness that concerns you, check your tire pressures first. perhaps they've been over-inflated. also, normal tires also come with sidewalls of different stiffness so this may be a factor as well.

Hi Louis,

I guess thats not the root cause as 2 sets of diff rims/tyres gave the same stiff ride. Anyways am now on Eagle F1 19" and tyre pressure are @ 250....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back