My exhaust journey...

chickenbackside

Legendary 10 Years
Hi folks.

I know I'm a late bloomer in the exhaust department, and most people would have already modded their exhausts, but this may be helpful to those who are still thinking about it.

My quest for an exhaust muffler has been a long one. I am very particular about my exhaust not being too loud, especially the droning in the cabin irritates the hell outta me.

I was happily using my stock exhaust and was on the lookout for a rear muffler that would give me the extra ommph in terms of sound without being over the top. In my search, I found that Remus droned too much and so did Sebring. The only one that appealed to me was Supersprint, but unfortunately nobody was letting go of theirs.

Sometime last year, I was at J4C when Amos said he had an almost new Hiop rear muffler. Apparently, the ex-owner put it on and took it out upon starting the car. Amos assured me that it wasn't too loud and that the ex-owner had very sensitive ears. It looked well-made but unfortunately, it didn't have staggered tips, which to me is a must in order for it to flow with the car's lines. Wilman2772 said it looked like "steam kuku bird" when hot and expanded, which I agree. Anyway, I decided to take a chance and bought and installed it.

This was how it looked like:

RearLeft.jpg

Rear.jpg

Tips.jpg

Unfortunately, I had even more sensitive ears. It proved to be too loud and droned like no tomorrow. Everywhere I went, people would turn and look becos my car was so loud and bassy (hated that). It was also impossible to enjoy music in the car becos the frequency of the drone altered the harmonic content of any music I played. Being a musician, it drove me nuts. I lived with it for as long as I could (a week) and sold it off.

So, it was back to my stock exhaust. I decided to just weld the biggest tips that could fit onto my stock muffler. Man did an excellent job in making it look like an Eisenman muffler. He angle cut two 3" stainless steel tubes and welded them on in a staggered manner.

This was the result:

Ex1.jpg

Ex2.jpg

Ex3.jpg

And now, after many months of stalking the bazaar section, I finally came across a LTA approved Supersprint muffler being put on sale by PG7170 (an all round nice guy!). Today, I spent 2 hours at Man's taking out his muffler on his gorgeous 325 cabriolet. Here are some pics of it after I washed it with some soap...

Nice and shiny
SS1.jpg

Very, erm, masculine
SS2.jpg

Horses engraved on the large, staggered chrome tips
SS3.jpg

Stickers add at least 20bhp!
SS4.jpg

In a few hours, I shall head down to Man's again to install it onto my car. I really hope that this muffler will be acceptable to my over-sensitive ears. Otherwise, it's back to stock forever...

Stay tuned for more pics and videos!

Re: My exhaust journey...

fantastic write-up as always. sigh, if only the e46 and e85 exhausts were exchangeable

xkrim3;189899 said:
fantastic write-up as always. sigh, if only the e46 and e85 exhausts were exchangeable

Bro, NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Time to change your nick liao....Maybe "horsebackside" :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

WAH...I REally like the custom-made pipe....looks fierce...!!!:evil:

haha.... welcome to the club ..... :)

33;189913 said:
Bro, NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Time to change your nick liao....Maybe "horsebackside" :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
alex, haven`t drink kopi yet ar ? quote me but reply to adam. i noe ur exhaust very atas :nehnehhh:

chickenbackside;190036 said:
Like Man said: "Can one. Just mop the brackets and hangers can already..."
yeah, dat`s his nike equivalent - just mop it. but i like the man. reasonable pricing and superb workmanship for pieces he mopped himself

Hi folks.

Ok, so I got the Supersprint muffler installed today. Ran into some problems but Man's "can one!" attitude and skills solved them. Here's the process:

The Supersprint muffler laid out on the floor ready to be put in
AllReady.jpg

Cutting the stock exhaust off
Cut.jpg

Off with the mounts and bending it to break it away
BendIt.jpg

And it's off!
Out.jpg

Strange. How come this is as far up as it can go? Feeling what's stuck up there
CantGoUp.jpg

Ahhh, this is the problem: the anti-roll bar is jutting out preventing it from clearing the muffler pipes!
Problem.jpg

Lots of head scratching going on now. Man suggested that my ARB's are installed backwards. A quick call to Ah Wee confirmed that no such thing happened as it can only be installed one way. He then said they must be UUC Swaybarbarians, and he's absolutely right. Apparently, UUC ARB's are notorious for not being able to clear some exhausts.

SO HOW??!! Are we just going to give up and put back the stock muffler?

Noooooo.... "Can mop one", Ah Man said...

Cut it off. Cut it all off!
CutOff.jpg

Ouch! My nice Supersprint pipes are cut...
Ouch.jpg

Holding it in place for measurements
InPlace.jpg

No pipes, definitely can clear the ARB's
CanClear.jpg

Notice the great design that allows adjustability of the position of the muffler
GoodDesign.jpg

A bolt goes a long way in helping to centre the muffler to the middle of the rear diffuser cutout
ScrewToCentre.jpg

Shorten the Supersprint pipes by cutting them
ShortenSS.jpg

Lengthen the pipes leading to the resonator
Lengthen.jpg

Tease pipe 1 into position
TeaseIt.jpg

And it's in place
Pipe1In.jpg

Tack on pipe 1 to the muffler
TackPipe1.jpg

Cutting down the length of pipe2
CutPipe2.jpg

Pipe 2 tacked on
pipe2Done.jpg

Ahhh, there's enough clearance now!
MuchoSpace.jpg

Check again to see if everything is in the right position
InPosition.jpg

Taking down the whole rear section including the tacked on pipes
TakeDown.jpg

Once free from the car, proper welding can be done to seal the gaps
ProperlyWeld.jpg

Hammer the reinforcing flap (that helps hold the 2 pipes securely) into position
HammerFlap.jpg

Reinforcing flap properly welded
WeldedFlap.jpg

Once again, the rear section goes back up
PutUpAgain.jpg

I start the car in great anticipation, and once fired up, "oh crap" came into my mind first. It was much louder than my stock exhaust! Drove around for a bit and wondered if I can live with the bass tones getting into my cabin. "Maybe a week is all I can take" I thought, much like my previous Hiop exhaust.

I would say it's not as loud as the Hiop, but nowhere near "subtle" (which I Iike). Definitely not as loud as Remus either. The timbre of the sound is at least the most pleasant of the usual suspects to my ears.

Here's a video of a comparison between the stock setup and the Supersprint setup. Footage includes revving the engine from inside and outside the car in the same positions, using the same camera phone, and a redline acceleration run shot from FiftyFive's car by FiftyFive himself.

Judge for yourselves.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQQIGR0-GU[/YOUTUBE]

** All pics and videos taken with the N95, except redline pull video taken with the N93 drenched in water...

That was a fantastic writeup!!! Hope you'll like it after going through so much trouble for it :)

Cheers for the vid too. And your stock exhaust sounds damm loud to me. Don't know whether it's because of the videos or the 3.2l blo.. i mean, air filter you put in.

Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetgenin

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back