My review of the new X3 35i

Re: My review of the new X3 35i

Hi. I'm replacing my ageing SUV and tryng to decide between this car and the Mercedes ML300. Before buying the X3, did you also try other SUVs like Audi Q5 and the M-Class?

I just test drive the new X3 today. I also own a BMW 5series (2009 model). Compare to my 5 series, the ride quality feels distinctly less firm, a bit too responsive, if this is the right phrase for it. I find the new iDrive menu difficult to navigate and the control wheel/knob at the wrong position on the far left, not so convenient for right hand driving cars. The X3 also let in quite of bit of road noise.

I am also not too impressed with the sound system. It doesn't seems to convey finer sonic details like the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in the M-Class. Navigating between tracks is really cumbersome. Instead of up/down keys, there is now a scrolling wheel that you have to "feel and press". to switch tracks. To improve accuracy, Track names are displayed on the dashboard but this can actually be a distraction when driving. Why can't they just keep the Up/Down buttons for quickly changing tracks? Other than these complaints, ride quality, suspension and acceleration are superb. The salesguy told me the new X3 also comes with auto engine start/stop that supposedly converse fuel.

I will be test driving the M-Class next weekend.

ben123;642845 said:
Hi. I'm replacing my ageing SUV and tryng to decide between this car and the Mercedes ML300. Before buying the X3, did you also try other SUVs like Audi Q5 and the M-Class?

I just test drive the new X3 today. I also own a BMW 5series (2009 model). Compare to my 5 series, the ride quality feels distinctly less firm, a bit too responsive, if this is the right phrase for it. I find the new iDrive menu difficult to navigate and the control wheel/knob at the wrong position on the far left, not so convenient for right hand driving cars. The X3 also let in quite of bit of road noise.

I am also not too impressed with the sound system. It doesn't seems to convey finer sonic details like the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in the M-Class. Navigating between tracks is really cumbersome. Instead of up/down keys, there is now a scrolling wheel that you have to "feel and press". to switch tracks. To improve accuracy, Track names are displayed on the dashboard but this can actually be a distraction when driving. Why can't they just keep the Up/Down buttons for quickly changing tracks? Other than these complaints, ride quality, suspension and acceleration are superb. The salesguy told me the new X3 also comes with auto engine start/stop that supposedly converse fuel.

I will be test driving the M-Class next weekend.

Didn't test drive Merc as I didn't feel they make driver's car plus I was looking for a sub 6sec SUV. The ML is better benchmarked against the X5 3.0. The X3 is better benchmarked against the Merc R class. Never considered the Q5 as I wanted at least 3litre and want it below 6sec. The Q5 is very good looking SUV though, with very proportionate design and all the right curves. Not sure if you test drove the x3 28 or x3 35. I had no interest in x3 28 as I reckon high cc or turbo is needed to move a 1.8 tonne car. I was not disappointed. Acceleration is fast, smooth yet brutal. 5.7sec no mean feat but achieved quite easily.

As for the iDrive, I like it alot better than that in my ex e90 335. All the short cut buttons around the iDrive helps with greater access. It is just a matter of getting used.

Unlike you, I am actually impressed with the stock sound system. Couldn't benchmark against Harmon Kardon as my previous 335 was using stock system.

As for damping, it is way better than the 535i I tested.

But agree with you that there is a fair bit of road noise which could be attributable to the ride height.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your reply. The model of BMW X3 that I test drive is the X3 3.5i.

Actually for me, good interior, comfort and ease of use will take precedence over pure speed.

Hi T6,

I just test drive both the X3 and the Mercedes ML300 and decided to choose the X3 because of the far superior ride quality and more interior features. Turns out the audio wasnt that bad after all after I checked on a brand new unit. Must be the test-drive model was not properly set.

I need to check with you. Does your X3 comes with a 6.5" LCD screen or the larger 8.8" LCD screen?

5645541761_a6f22d7a4d.jpg

nice stance! lowering springs wld be cool. needz more cambers

ben123;648196 said:
Hi T6,

I just test drive both the X3 and the Mercedes ML300 and decided to choose the X3 because of the far superior ride quality and more interior features. Turns out the audio wasnt that bad after all after I checked on a brand new unit. Must be the test-drive model was not properly set.

I need to check with you. Does your X3 comes with a 6.5" LCD screen or the larger 8.8" LCD screen?

Congrats. As for the LCD screen mine has 8.8" one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mockngbrd;648206 said:
5645541761_a6f22d7a4d.jpg

nice stance! lowering springs wld be cool. needz more cambers

Agreed Mock. Am waiting for either BMW or tuner to come out with a wider replacement rear wheel arch like they have for the X5. Am also hoping H&R will come out with some lowering springs compatible with the factory EDC.

T6;648243 said:
Congrats. As for the LCD screen mine has 8.8" one.

Thanks! Does yours comes standard with your 35i or was it an op-up? Because in the brochure it was mentioned as an option. The test drive unit I tried comes with a 6.5" LCD.

I am still agonizing over which exterior color to choose. Can't decide between Space Grey, Deep Blue or Silver... They all look good. :errmm: :thinking:

ben123;648426 said:
Thanks! Does yours comes standard with your 35i or was it an op-up? Because in the brochure it was mentioned as an option. The test drive unit I tried comes with a 6.5" LCD.

I am still agonizing over which exterior color to choose. Can't decide between Space Grey, Deep Blue or Silver... They all look good. :errmm: :thinking:

My 8.8" came with the car. PML pre- ordered before I ordered from them. How about the signature mineral silver?

T6;648697 said:
My 8.8" came with the car. PML pre- ordered before I ordered from them. How about the signature mineral silver?

It's too common I think. Want something that stand out and more unique....

Past 7 months have been sheer driving pleasure with this SUV.

Very spacious, comfortable and highly capable. Soaks in 20" amazingly well. All good things must come to an end, after 7 months and 8000km, sadly this baby has to give way to my other car craving.

Just want forummers reading this thread to know in my view this is still the best bang for buck SUV at the moment and 5.7sec to 100km/h is just wow....

I do not consider Q5 or Evoque as direct competion. Yes I think they both look better than the X3 but there is no replacement for displacement.

Pls do not think less of this ride coz of my short ownership. Yes I owned the TTS roadseter for 7 months too but that is coz I really dislike the TTS.

But I am giving up the X3 only coz I am getting something better.

Sayonara X3 35i

Btw, have posted my 20" rims and tyres for sale in another thread. Pls contact me if interested. Tks.

Great review i can put this car as my consider list.
I dont like the previous x3 first gen, the car too small tight. Im 180cm tall.
And the ride is too harsh with sporty spring. Bumpier than my accord with 20" rims

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
888bnagoya

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back