New F20 118i - looking for advise to upgrade ICE

Shaynne

Hi All,

I had traded in my Golf Sport for the new 118i and have just collected the car last weekend. Had previously installed Focal speakers (165 KR2) and amp in the Golf, but realised they won't fit in the 118i because of size difference.

Just looking for a simple upgrade to improve the sound with the existing stock HU. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Done with the question, and now for a short intro:
Favourite hobbies: Badminton, sport climbing, roller blading, reading and of course travelling.

Re: New F20 118i - looking for advise to upgrade ICE

Shaynne;844010 said:
........ Just looking for a simple upgrade to improve the sound with the existing stock HU. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?......
Welcome to BMW-SG Shaynne,

OEM car stereo comes in 2-way and 3-way speakers and they do not come in specific speakers for high, mid and bass. Therefore, for a FOC imrpovement to your stock stereo, try the following adjustment;

- Adjust the Bass upwwards to near max (basically affect e rear speakers)
- Adjust the Treble upwards by 2 (affect all speakers)
- Adjust fade towards the front, max is 50% more

The above FOC way to ensure we better mid/high from the front and less mid/high from the rear while ensuring there's still bass coming from the rear.

Overall you should hear better 'stereo' w/o spending a single cent, of course cannot compare to few thousand dollar upgrades, enjoy :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaynne;844010 said:
Hi All,

I had traded in my Golf Sport for the new 118i and have just collected the car last weekend. Had previously installed Focal speakers (165 KR2) and amp in the Golf, but realised they won't fit in the 118i because of size difference.

Just looking for a simple upgrade to improve the sound with the existing stock HU. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Done with the question, and now for a short intro:
Favourite hobbies: Badminton, sport climbing, roller blading, reading and of course travelling.

Hi Sha,

welcome onboard...........................
no gardening???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

hi Shaynne, welcome onboard... Enjoy ur stay

I will be doing my ICE soon.
let me know if u wan to see see lok lok
msg me 93695808
I am on F20 116

how many speakers exactly does the 1 series have?

kelnalevin;844393 said:
4 infront
2 at the rear.

I'm thinking of adding a sub. Thinking if we can add on to just the current audio system?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Baby1M;844182 said:
Welcome to BMW-SG Shaynne,

OEM car stereo comes in 2-way and 3-way speakers and they do not come in specific speakers for high, mid and bass. Therefore, for a FOC imrpovement to your stock stereo, try the following adjustment;

- Adjust the Bass upwwards to near max (basically affect e rear speakers)
- Adjust the Treble upwards by 2 (affect all speakers)
- Adjust fade towards the front, max is 50% more

The above FOC way to ensure we better mid/high from the front and less mid/high from the rear while ensuring there's still bass coming from the rear.

Overall you should hear better 'stereo' w/o spending a single cent, of course cannot compare to few thousand dollar upgrades, enjoy :p

Hi Baby1M,
Already tried playing around with the stereo adjustments but still lacking the depth and clarity (although the stock speakers are already way better than in the Golf), do you have any other experience to share?

kelnalevin;844393 said:
4 infront
2 at the rear.

Hi Kelnalevin,
I was told it's 1 centre, 2 front, 2 underseat and 2 rear, total 7 speakers.

ac323;844184 said:
Hi Sha,

welcome onboard...........................
no gardening???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Hi ac323,
I have to be merciful to the greens........

Shaynne;844624 said:
Hi Kelnalevin,

Since you have gotten the car, won't you be able to personally verify what you see and what you are told? :lol:

Shaynne;844621 said:
Hi Baby1M,
Already tried playing around with the stereo adjustments but still lacking the depth and clarity (although the stock speakers are already way better than in the Golf), do you have any other experience to share?
Well you cannot get too much improvement when it is FOC right? Is it getting the best out of what is there :lol:

The next improvement you can consider is installing e 2 twitters on the joint of the side mirrors which is part of e OEM stereo via BMW.

To get good quality sound with depth and distinctive clarity of separating high. mid and bass, e below is compulsory;
- Dedicated twitters (2 front + 2 rear)
- Dedicated mid speakers (2 front + 2 rear)
- Dedicated woofer (2 or 4 rear)
- HU which can support upto 12 channels
- Of course Power Amps to support

Frankly, I find e above all is a waste of money especially since I have spend ~$10k on my 1st ride using American speakers + Japanese Amps + HU. Yes, did enjoy e impressive sound quality and clarity but... money better spend on a solid home entertainment sound system instead, that is my take since.

Shaynne;844624 said:
Hi Kelnalevin,

no centre.
i have added stock tweeter.
but still dun sound good.

Well, theres always the cheaper alternative to get better sound vis-a-vis stock setup. i.e.
a) simply changing component speakers - there should be quite a fair bit of difference liao...if got more budget, include b)
b) upgrade underseat sub - again this is 1 to 1 replacement without additional wirings and stuffz but bring bass to your music....if got more budget, include c)
c) add power amp to bring a) and b) to a different level

kelnalevin;845166 said:
no centre.
i have added stock tweeter.
but still dun sound good.

Got my ride from a PI, dunno if that makes a diff in the setup. Btw, where and what are you modifying for your ICE?

I think speakers should be the same.
I will be changing the front speaker and adding processor.

Hi there welcome onboard... Njoy yr stay ya...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otsobetme
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back