Oil sensor problem

pengful

Does anybody have a problem with oil sensor?
- Last week, the reading was somewhere in the middle between "Min" & "Max".
- This morning, when I checked it said "Min", add 1 ltr.
- Then same afternoon, it said "Ok".
What is going on?:(

Re: Oil sensor problem

i supposed u r talking about engine oil?

if your engine oil is low, and the engine is cold, the indicator will come on. when the engine warms up and the oil is circulating, the sensor goes off because the circulating oil 'tricks' the sensor into thinking that oil level has gone up.

there is a right temperature to check oil level. and that's when your engine is warm, but engine is off.

and the correct oil level is indicated on the dipstick, not via the indicator.

learnt this in the army, when i was servicing my m113. not so different from cars.

Yes, I was referring to the engine oil. Problem is.... the 320 does not have a dip stick and detection goes purely by electronic means. I've looked high and low and finally concluded there isn't any. Am I right or am I wrong?

dunno bro, u'll have to check with the other e90 drivers here... anyone?

Hey Peng,

If I am not mistaken, the E90 bo dipstick.. so its all electronic. If the sign keeps popping out, could mean one of a few things:

I) The Oil Sensor pa jiao liao.. need to replace

II) *as was my case*, the gasket broke and engine oil was leaking.. so the sign kept popping up despite me topping the car up with engine oil.

III) If not just top up with a bit of engine oil and see how it goes?

My E90 is less than 3 years (

Mel and jinooi, thanks for the comments.

Today, the engine oil sensor appeared to be perfectly ok so I assume the intermittent false readings may be due to a faulty sensor. This is probably something I will replace the next time I send the car in.

Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mb66pcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back