"P" = Park; Why need handbrake?

MapleLeaf

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
I noticed that when the gear-stick is at 'P', the car wheels are locked already. Is there a need to pull handbrake on a level-floor car park?

I always pull the handbrake lightly only. Isn't this as good as not pulling the handbrake?

Re: "P" = Park; Why need handbrake?

Hahaha! You should have gotten yourself a car with auto-park feature!

Here, just drive off; and when parking: auto "handbrake" comes on.

But for a car with a "manual" handbrake, it is still best to pull it up. In case, you are on a very steep slope and on occasions, even some auto cars cannot even hold on to the slope. Or if your keys are inserted and you are at neutral! That light pull on handbrake may just save a person or even an innocent child... standing behind the car... unless it is a cat *Joke*

Thus one word: Be safe then sorry or get yourself a car with the auto-park feature!

MapleLeaf;453889 said:
I noticed that when the gear-stick is at 'P', the car wheels are locked already. Is there a need to pull handbrake on a level-floor car park?

I always pull the handbrake lightly only. Isn't this as good as not pulling the handbrake?

MapleLeaf;453889 said:

Because lock mechanism will wear off. It should be cause a bomb to repair it (correct me if i m wrong). Hand brake pad wear off? Cheap cheap to change.

In auto car, handbrake is only for making handbrake turns :nehnehhh:

P is stopping your car from moving by locking up your gears. Handbrake is by clamping your wheels (either by your brake disc or the inside of your hubs). The former is not very efficient if the car's heavy, slope's steep, or accidental buanging from another car, and may actually spoil the gears. But in an enclosed carpark where the lot is flat, and you're next to the wall, it really does not make much of a diff if you pull the handbrake or not.

but if some mischievous person keeps pushing and rocking your car on your lot, he'll eventually spoil your gear locking mechanism i guess, if your handbrake is not on.

ok. This makes more sense.... one is locking the gears; the other clamps the wheels.

Racebred;454062 said:
P is stopping your car from moving by locking up your gears. Handbrake is by clamping your wheels (either by your brake disc or the inside of your hubs). The former is not very efficient if the car's heavy, slope's steep, or accidental buanging from another car, and may actually spoil the gears. But in an enclosed carpark where the lot is flat, and you're next to the wall, it really does not make much of a diff if you pull the handbrake or not.

but if some mischievous person keeps pushing and rocking your car on your lot, he'll eventually spoil your gear locking mechanism i guess, if your handbrake is not on.

actually I dun use the hand brake unless I am parking on a slope; in which case it is absolutely necessary. On a flat and level surface, I simply put my car to "P" - dun think there are any cows around to prod my car and damage the gears lock. Have been doing this for many many moons already - no problem so far

Since the lock pin is tapered to allow it to be disloged with some force, the "Park" locking mechanism is unlikely to be damaged if some cows decide to prod the car, right?

yeah but if they continue pushing the car to a slope, then its byebye car. In many crowded cities around the world, esp in europe, and also in the early days of spore, many people do not pull their handbrake, and also leave their cars in neutral, so that during parallel parking, your car can be gently nudged away, when space is at a premium. As long as everyone in the city, like paris for eg, observes this SOP, it's pretty safe. but your bumper looks ugly. In spore, when you double park in the olden days, you leave the handbrake off so that the car you are blocking can push your car away when he wants to leave. But nowadays this SOP is forgotten liao. people just honk you until you run out, or stomp you.

Racebred;454320 said:
yeah but if they continue pushing the car to a slope, then its byebye car. In many crowded cities around the world, esp in europe, and also in the early days of spore, many people do not pull their handbrake, and also leave their cars in neutral, so that during parallel parking, your car can be gently nudged away, when space is at a premium. As long as everyone in the city, like paris for eg, observes this SOP, it's pretty safe. but your bumper looks ugly. In spore, when you double park in the olden days, you leave the handbrake off so that the car you are blocking can push your car away when he wants to leave. But nowadays this SOP is forgotten liao. people just honk you until you run out, or stomp you.

That is so true!

when you engage the transmission into park, there is a prawl that moves into the transmission output shaft that locks on the 1st gear. At this time the input shaft is not coupled to the output shaft and you can start the engine. the prawl looks like a small section of a gear and the teeth mesh together to fix the output shaft.

Park should never be used as a replacement for the hand brake as the continued weight of any gradient will load the entire drive line. (Diff, couplings, guibos and drive shafts) Not to mention the prawl and 1st gear.

When you park on a gradient, put to park, pull handbrake and release the foot brake, you tend to get a lurch. When you leave and get the car out of park, there will be a loud thud which is the entire transmission unloading.

IMHO, Not recommended.

Cheers

Then what do you do if you park on a slope?

R2D;454341 said:
When you park on a gradient, put to park, pull handbrake and release the foot brake, you tend to get a lurch. When you leave and get the car out of park, there will be a loud thud which is the entire transmission unloading.
Arg, so that's normal. I thought something wrong with my car....

R2D;454341 said:
IMHO, Not recommended.
Just to confirm, what you mean is that we should pull handbrake even when in P, right?

The best way is put the car to neutral, pull the handbrake sufficiently until the car stops rolling when you release the foot brake then put the transmission into Park. that way, the car does not load the driveline unnecessarily.

Cheers

C3P0;454349 said:
Arg, so that's normal. I thought something wrong with my car....

Just to confirm, what you mean is that we should pull handbrake even when in P, right?

yes, the handbrake is the primary means to stop the car from rolling. Also to do drifts...

Which also discourage putting car into P gear when on slope during traffic lights........

R2D;454341 said:

Rod, you mean the above is not recommended?

Actually, leaving the gearbox in D at the lights is a good idea cos the ATF is continually being pushed through the torque convertor to cool it.

Think of it this way, at D, the engine is running, tranny output shaft not spinning cos stop and the input shaft also not spinning cos its locked onto 1st or 2nd gear thus the ATF will be pumped through the torque convertor, as the vanes within the TC go past each other. At P, the input shaft is free spinning and the oil just does not circulate cos the entire TC just spins along.

The drawback of leaving the car in D is slightly higher fuel consumption as the engine run slightly higher load. But comparing to a tranny fix, the cost is nothing...

cheers

Sigh, so I gotta engage handbrake from now on.... cos my porch got a slight slope. Got into the habit of not engaging cos I didn't like the brakes sticking when I released it after not driving a particular car for a couple of days.

Wah lao! There is even a science to parking? :)

Seriously, I have not been pulling my handbrakes for err..... 1 year? I guess it is probably due to a Top Gear show where Jeremy Clarkson mentioned that when your disc brakes are HOT from driving, pulling the handbrake to clamp the burning hot discs is just going to make the rotors and pads "fuse" together and might damage the springs keeping the pads apart under normal conditions. He further said that it is not necessary to pull the handbrake if the gear in in "P" position.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789wintoday

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back