Parking brake failure repair

marksim

Just some info for our 7series bro, parking brake failure is quite a common problem and below is what happens internally.

A trip to workshop to replace the motor can easily set you back about $1200-1500(depends where u go)

I did mine for approx half the cost. These are recondition units( where metal gears are used instead) which is a better replacement.

Re: Parking brake failure repair

What hte piece of shit, it's all plastic inside? For a brake mechanism?

job creation at its' finest. unless some mechanically inclined folks can justify plastic gears are better other than weight savings.

=(

Dun be too surprised... there are more plastic parts than you think there are...

Plastic impellers in stock waterpumps...:D

Women already have plastic boobs

One day you find out your guy have plastic kkj

detach8;983088 said:
Women already have plastic boobs

One day you find out your guy have plastic kkj

Too much info. Please keep your sexchange history private.

I bought a (CNC made) plastic gear and DIY changed it. It wasn't easy because there is a need to grind certain metal part down but it was worth it... At least it was fun (and messy).

Had a scare at from my car groomer just now. He called to inform of a likely gear or clutch failure in my car because he couldn't reverse the car. I was like wtf, and rushed back. I then found out they forgot to release the parking brake.

Heng, else it's gonna be a few K worth of repair.

Btw, I haven't used my parking brake for a long time already and couldn't remember. Will the parking brake auto release should there be sufficient forward torque? How about reverse?

The answer is ..... No.

I tried before ....... The burning smell will be there for days.

Great for drifting .....

nextreal;997913 said:
Had a scare at from my car groomer just now. He called to inform of a likely gear or clutch failure in my car because he couldn't reverse the car. I was like wtf, and rushed back. I then found out they forgot to release the parking brake.

Heng, else it's gonna be a few K worth of repair.

Btw, I haven't used my parking brake for a long time already and couldn't remember. Will the parking brake auto release should there be sufficient forward torque? How about reverse?

marksim;980563 said:
Just some info for our 7series bro, parking brake failure is quite a common problem and below is what happens internally.

A trip to workshop to replace the motor can easily set you back about $1200-1500(depends where u go)

I did mine for approx half the cost. These are recondition units( where metal gears are used instead) which is a better replacement.

Thanks for the info. For me, I heard a loud crack one day when I pulled up my handbrake too fast. Still working fine, but scared now... How do you know when the parking brake has failed/or is going to fail?

You use drifting method for parallel parking the other day :) ?

seanskye;998008 said:
Thanks for the info. For me, I heard a loud crack one day when I pulled up my handbrake too fast. Still working fine, but scared now... How do you know when the parking brake has failed/or is going to fail?

Red_Bean_Bun;998019 said:

Handbrake turn...!! Quite fun wan....

seanskye;998008 said:

It will display "electronic brake failure". No warning prior to that. At least this was what I encountered.

nextreal;998034 said:
It will display "electronic brake failure". No warning prior to that. At least this was what I encountered.

Any signs like the parking brake was less effective? or you had to pull the brake lever harder or further up to engage brake?

Red_Bean_Bun;998019 said:

Meek;998021 said:
Handbrake turn...!! Quite fun wan....

My current ride all stock. Guai driver now, no more 1++ G turns lol.

seanskye;998038 said:
Any signs like the parking brake was less effective? or you had to pull the brake lever harder or further up to engage brake?

Nope. It was a sudden death.

Autopsy of the parking brake module revealed nothing like the photo in the first post in this thread. Every gear, pulley and cable looked normal. Only the actuator died.

Btw, the E65/66 parking brake is not in lever form.

What was the consensus - use too often thus died from wear and tear or was it due to infrequent use ?

nextreal;998091 said:
Nope. It was a sudden death.

Autopsy of the parking brake module revealed nothing like the photo in the first post in this thread. Every gear, pulley and cable looked normal. Only the actuator died.

Btw, the E65/66 parking brake is not in lever form.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
df999today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back