PS2 v CSC2 v F1 v RE050A v AD07 v P-zeros & others

Re: PS2 v CSC2 v F1 v RE050A v AD07 v P-zeros & others

Was this assessment done under the local context? Cos I believe they still took some info from tire rack which is based in the US..

is this another review that says GS-D3 comes on TOP of the ranking?

SL2 said:
Was this assessment done under the local context? Cos I believe they still took some info from tire rack which is based in the US..

no. they ran their own set of tests. tire rack only helped out by providing the BMW 325s for testing.

Car and Driver is an American Magazine I believe.

Testing criteria -
It took three days to perform all the tests. On day one, we did wet and dry brake tests. We accelerated to 50 mph and then braked to a standstill. (We were unable to drive to our traditional 70-mph mark because there simply wasn't enough track.) There was a benefit to that lower speed: It ensured that we were measuring the braking performance of the tires and not just brake fade.

Over the next two days, when we performed the wet and dry autocross tests, we were joined by Spencer Geswein of Full-Lock Industries. Geswein and Brian Smith formed Full-Lock in 2001 and offer a variety of driving-related services that include instruction, testing, and racing (www.full-lock.com). Both men spent at least 10 years testing tires for Michelin, so we figured that kind of experience would uncover some subtle tire traits that we might miss. And in case you're thinking Geswein might play favorites, he asked that we not tell him which tires he was driving on, so his testing of the 11 brands was done blind.

Geswein drove three laps through the autocross course, and then we drove three laps—in dry and wet conditions. We averaged the six dry and six wet laps to come up with a time for each tire's performance on wet and dry surfaces. In the end, we had performance results for six tests: braking, autocross, and lateral grip—each in wet and dry conditions.

We gave the top-performing tire in each test a score of 100 and scored the rest on their relative performance. For example, the tire that had the highest dry lateral grip of 0.95 g scored 100 points, and the tire placing last with 0.88 g received 92.6 points (0.88 is 92.6 percent of 0.95). We then added the scores from all the dry tests to arrive at a dry-performance rating and did the same for the wet-test results.

Things were more complicated when it came to determining the finishing order of the 11 tires. In addition to factoring in the wet and dry scores, we gave points based on a tire's price (we used the typical selling price in our calculations) and tread-wear grade, which is a rough estimate of how long a tire will have usable tread. For the price and tread-wear ratings we used the same proportional method.

But the categories were not all weighted equally. Our test focused on measuring performance, so we decided that results in the dry—lateral grip, for example—would carry the most weight. Wet performance is important, but less so for the purposes of this test. The price and the tread-wear scores had nothing to do with performance, but who doesn't consider what something will cost before buying?

After a lot of debate, our scheme worked like this: The proportional weighting for tread-wear and price scores was cut in half, the wet scores were not changed, and we doubled the dry-performance scores. And that's how a tire's overall ranking was calculated for this test.

Where can I buy P-Zeros in Singapore?
Thanks...

darkavgr

Just like to let all know that I got my new F1s on from Poh Heng and I am enjoying running them in... 18 inches (from stock 16) ain't so bad and there isn't much tire howl from these rubbers. Will of course know how they really are after a couple more trips up to NS. Will keep you posted!

darkavgr said:
Where can I buy P-Zeros in Singapore?
Thanks...

darkavgr

Hurry Tires
South East Tires
Leong Seng perhaps

I would expect that the test results would apply in Singapore as well, unless we get a different compund to the Yanks.

I am keen on trying the F1 since they keep winning tests in US & Europe. But I have been told that they are very noisy. Apart from mingboy, has anyone else got feedback on the F1 especially on noise?

i just got a set of F1s installed. was looking at the AD07s but for the price difference, just didnt seem worth it.
still scrubbing them in. so far they are just a little noisier than my stock tires, but nothing intrusive. (although i hear the noise, if any, doesnt really come on till about 10k plus)

so far so good though in terms of performance. the wet performance is really quite unbelievable. i was taking corners almost as fast as in the dry in my old tire and even when the tires started to slip, it was very gradual.

in the dry the grip levels are also much higher than my stock tires. but i cant comment how they fare against other high performance tires.

kopi_o said:
I would expect that the test results would apply in Singapore as well, unless we get a different compund to the Yanks.

I am keen on trying the F1 since they keep winning tests in US & Europe. But I have been told that they are very noisy. Apart from mingboy, has anyone else got feedback on the F1 especially on noise?

I just wonder Y in s'pore we keep complaining the F1 is noisy?????????....from the US and Europe test result...it seem like F1 is more quiet than other brand.....

Does everyone really experience it....or just heard from fews person...then start spreading the concept of F1 is noisy.....

I have used CSC2 and now using F1, my gut feel is that F1 slightly more noisy than CSC2. May be I haven't run-in the type yet. This is my own feel anyway. No measurement done.

Forgot to add. The dry and wet performance for F1 is definitely better. It is a lot cheaper too (F1@240/pcs vs CSC2@380/pcs)

ykh1 said:
I just wonder Y in s'pore we keep complaining the F1 is noisy?????????....from the US and Europe test result...it seem like F1 is more quiet than other brand.....

Does everyone really experience it....or just heard from fews person...then start spreading the concept of F1 is noisy.....

True....if F1 really noisy, get F1 at a cheaper price and spend the difference to soundproof the car lah....

I am on F1 and I dun really find it noisy and I have close to 20K on it now. Maybe that's becos I am on the 5 series which has much better sound proofing than the 3 series.

I used CSC, S03, AD07 & F1 in my e46, F1 really that good ?

I think the tyre is ok la, now eyeing PZero, CSC2 or PS2. My frens strongly rec. CSC2.

check out the vagsg forums. they really dont care much for the CSC2. personally, i would stay away from the Pzeros too.

F1 ranked 1st in EuroTuner mag tyre review. I used CSC2 before, my feeling is F1 is better in dry and wet condition. CSC2 doesn't give me much confident when braking in the wet.

I too was rather confused. I was also comtemplating on F1s a few weeks back. Read some reviews on it and F1 seems to have topped the chart. Did price play a role?
The only thing between your life/car/$$$ and the tarmac is YOUR RUBBER. Don't go cheap on them.

However, talked to a few hundred bros and although F1 is no doubt good on wet roads - it sucked on the dry WHEN COMPARED with other performance tires. ie SO3, PS2 and Advan Neova etc...So why are the Americans saying F1s have outdone PS2 and SO3s????

For some reasons, I rather believe those sepang racers who have tried all those tires and came to a mutual conclusion that F1 was crap - again I must emphasise, when compared with other top performing rubbers.

Unless maybe budget was the main factor, I would not even consider F1 anymore with the tires mentioned above.
In the wet, except for normal wet road cruise holding, I won't advise anyone to go trying out how well the tires can hold in a corner...or speed for that matter. When it rains, i believe no tires are GODLY. Just drive slow.

Hence, in my own opinion:

I would chose

A) Solid unmatched dry performance tires / so so on wet roads

over

B) Excellent(Subjective when wet) wet performance tires / Not bad on dry roads.

With A, at least I have one solid category I can GUN into a corner with confidence. When it rains, I relax. The sun will always shine again.

With B, GUNNING will not exist at all on wet roads(where my tires are supposedly be best in)
And when the sun shines, I do not exactly have the best track proven performace capabilities as others. Neither here nor there!! Sian.

With this as my grounds in decision making, I chose to pay a bit more for SO3. Although Neova would suit what i have said above best... :(

heh im the opposite. the closest i have ever come to losing control of my car has always been wet roads. so for me , wet grip is always more important than dry grip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sodo6789skin
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back