question to ponder...

Cosmo

If u use a 12cm string to form a square n a triangle... wld the areas in both shapes be the same?

Re: question to ponder...

Cosmo;1067868 said:
If u use a 12cm string to form a square n a triangle... wld the areas in both shapes be the same?

you must be bored???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Cosmo;1067868 said:
1x 12cm string to form 1x square and 1x triangle = the shape will have 6x side, ea side is 2cm. The square is 4cm sq while triangle is half base (0.5*2cm) multiple by height... now u tell me would the area be e same :)

Promise i didn't search www and hope e above is entertaining enough.

0012 may be tonight's 4D number. HUAT AH!!

question to ponder...

Very thought-provoking, I had to dig deep into areas of my brain left untouched for decades. The area of the square bound by the 12cm string is 9cm2. Carrying out hypothesis testing of Heron's formula, it is mathematically impossible for a triangle with a perimeter of 12cm to form an area of 9cm2. I put it to the logic test as well using isoperimetric theorem and the maximum area bounded by the 12cm string is approx. 6.9cm2. Again, same answer. Hence, mine is a big NO, unless this is some trick question.

Please thankew me for quality effort yeah! Cheers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

seanskye;1067884 said:
Very thought-provoking, I had to dig deep into areas of my brain left untouched for decades. The area of the square bound by the 12cm string is 9cm2. Carrying out hypothesis testing of Heron's formula, it is mathematically impossible for a triangle with a perimeter of 12cm to form an area of 9cm2. I put it to the logic test as well using isoperimetric theorem and the maximum area bounded by the 12cm string is approx. 6.9cm2. Again, same answer. Hence, mine is a big NO, unless this is some trick question.

Please thankew me for quality effort yeah! Cheers!!!

Chim.... so No huh??

Orr...

Seanskye give me 1292. Thanks bro. If win I will split with u. HUAT AH!!

Baby1M;1067873 said:
1x 12cm string to form 1x square and 1x triangle = the shape will have 6x side, ea side is 2cm. The square is 4cm sq while triangle is half base (0.5*2cm) multiple by height... now u tell me would the area be e same :)

Promise i didn't search www and hope e above is entertaining enough.
Adding a picture for clarity...

Alternatively instead of half base multiple by height, we can use (a) half base multiple by Sin A-B-or-C... or (b) 2cm sq multiple square root of 3, then divide by 4... so now u tell me if area of the square and triangle is e same :nehnehhh:

View attachment 59252

Baby1M;1067924 said:
Adding a picture for clarity...

Alternatively instead of half base multiple by height, we can use (a) half base multiple by Sin A-B-or-C... or (b) 2cm sq multiple square root of 3, then divide by 4... so now u tell me if area of the square and triangle is e same :nehnehhh:

View attachment 59252

Very cheeeem logic. Limpeh catch no ball.
The diagram clearly shows that the area of the triangle is smaller than the square. Right?

LimPeh;1067966 said:
Very cheeeem logic. Limpeh catch no ball.
The diagram clearly shows that the area of the triangle is smaller than the square. Right?
If based on by TS's original statement below (highlighted bold and red)... where is it 1 single 12cm string forming a square AND a triangle....

Cosmo;1067868 said:

Yups u r right, definitely no equal... thus uploaded graphic to show the obvious.

Red_Bean_Bun;1067969 said:
But can arrange until both the same if the diagram is like that .....
Yes, as long as the square has shorter sides. So the question is kind of debunked because there are many variables, I presented 1 where all the 6x 'side' are equal.

Red_Bean_Bun;1067969 said:
But can arrange until both the same if the diagram is like that .....

Yah lor. On the same diagram, try a square with each side length of 1.477041cm. A triangle using one side of the square as its base of 1.477041cm and 2 equal sides of length 3.045cm. The area of both square and triangle will be 2.18165cmsquare.

LimPeh;1067974 said:
Yah lor. On the same diagram, try a square with each side length of 1.477041cm. A triangle using one side of the square as its base of 1.477041cm and 2 equal sides of length 3.045cm. The area of both square and triangle will be 2.18165cmsquare.

SIbeh chim lay... so simi si simi???

Cosmo;1067868 said:

If you are asking is it POSSIBLE for a square and triangle with same perimeter length (12 cm) to to have the same area then the answer is no. One way to understand this is to recall that for a constant perimeter the (plane) shape that maximizes the bounded area is a circle. So I reason that the more the shape departs from "circularness" the less wiill be the area, a square is always more "circular" than a triangle so its area will always be greater.

I simply cut the string. no strings attached is the best.

If the question is indeed 1 string = 1 square + 1 triangle to have equal area,

then there are two equations:

(1) square's width times 4 plus two sides of triangle = 12

4w plus 2s = 12

(2) area of square (w times w) = area of triangle (0.5 times w times h)

w square = 1/2 time width times height

Jammed here. How do I link s and h to solve for the 2 equations?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jun88gamevip

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back