Replacement Roof Lining

jinooi

any of you experiencing a sagging roof lining?

this is the layer on the interior of your roof. experienced this in my previous e36 and just happened on my e46. suppose it happens to cars more than 5 years, due to the hot weather. the 'sponge' layer disintegrates and the fabric separates from the roof. makes your roof look like drapes. 'bubbles' forrm and in more serious cases, the entire fabric falls out and you look like you have curtains.

couldn't stand it anymore, even though only a small portion in front (near the sunshades) was affected.

i sent my car in to 8 Cushion in bkt merah lane 3 (behind alexandra village. it's at blk 1001, #01-59.

they did it really fast. stripping the old roof lining out and installed the new layer of neoprene within 2.5 hours. not expensive either. it's cost me only $240! much cheaper than PML. and you get to choose the texture and colour of the fabric too!

now i've got a brand new roof liner! yippee!

Re: Replacement Roof Lining

Woo.... then we can change the entire roof lining to black at a fraction of PML's price!! :)

Good lobang bro!

Haha Alcantara the bugger!
BTW do they do interiors? Am thinking of leather CF on my trim

jaskin;396003 said:
Haha Alcantara the bugger!
BTW do they do interiors? Am thinking of leather CF on my trim

Yah man! Dunno why in th eE92, when you remove belt buckle, always hit the arm rest trim! Now...JIT KANG JIT KANG Liao................NNB!:furious:

other reasons why the roof lining fall;

1. when u enter the car on a raining day, wet ur car etc & never dry it & u leave ur car under hot sun enclosed, water evaporates & vapour went into the lining, after long exposure to moisture, the lining becomes heavier & start to fall apart & come down - science say 1

2. when ur gf on top, her hand start to tear the lining to unleash her power while u giving her the best shot from below - milk say 1

3. when u torn it intentionally to find a reason to change leather one or other colour & ur wife never scream at u for spending - hitmee say 1

yup guys. based on the research i have done, this place can do it at the fraction at what PML charges.

and you can chose whatever material / colour you want (subject to availability).

I've got the same problem - thanks for the tip; i'll try them out and report back :)

tell the boss (it's a lady boss) that you've been introduced by bmw-sg.

she promised to give us a discount.

Its in there today :) Colour match with original is almost perfect. Looking forward to seeing the result - thx again for the tip, will report back on the rich smell of glue tonight

What about the other pieces like the moonroof sliding cover, the sunscreen and the little grey pieces?

I am keen on Alcantara for roof lining and A pillars. What is the cost we are looking at?

i was quoted about $280 for alcantara wrap of steering wheel. but that's only because boss said it's extremely troublesome to do. she didn't even want to take the job initially unless i had spare steering wheel (cos car would have to be parked in the shop for at least 2-3 days).

drop by and have a chat with them. son is trackie-seow too. friendly people with good quality workmanship. don't think it will break your bank to do the headliner and pillar. only thing is that for the pillar, you might have to leave your car in the shop overnight - will have to work around the airbag and make sure that they do not accidentally trigger it.

Yeah... I asked about Alcantara as well. No go. Janice said it was too heavy and would pull the roof lining down and sag quickly (not sure how much truth there is in that, but at $300 a pop, could try a few different colours... hehe)

Just got the call... car is ready, going to check out the workmanship. The A, B, and C pillars are $20 a pop, and the roof was quoted at $280. Including the sliding bit that covers the sunroof. Going down the straight at sepang with that bit flapping around was no fun, I can tell you :)

you've already done it! haha...

pls give us your opinion of the workmanship. (i've done mine and i'm loving it.)

OK, got it back, looks as good as new... really chuffed. There were a number of areas where, before, the fabric was rolling back (around seatbelt B post) etc. and these now have lovely finished rolled-edges. The roof is immaculate, and the sunroof cover even better. Even though the clips have all bust (common problem on e46 sunroof cover) the sunroof holds in place because of the renewed spongey covering. I won't have to hold on to the roof now as I launch from the lights :)

All the bits that were bubbled or sagging have gone. Proud once more.

I'll take a couple of pics and post them.

Pictures...

BTW the workshop was a mess, don't let that put you off :)

Looks real great! So they also order the black plastic pieces for you? Workmanship looks good too! How much did it set u back?

the black plastic is all original... just the fabric covering that was looking tatty. Cost $260 for the roof, and $20 for each of the ABC pillars so $380 all together. I'd already agreed price before i saw jinooi's note on bmw-sg discount. Still think its good value though.

Yeah, just remembered that the E46 M3 has all the plastic in black! If I'm not wrong, to change to black headliner from PML is more than S$1k.

Definitely a good deal though!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77betink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back