Shell98 gives smoother tranmission?

elginlye

Hi all,

Done about 7K mileage on 318i LCI.
Been using Shell98 since day 1. Recently tried Mobil98 for 3 weeks+, during which time experienced mild jolting during gear changes at speeds around 40-60km. And twice gear "slamming" into place when kick-down at speeds 40-50km ( 4th to 3rd gear?).

Switched back to Shell98 and no such issues.
Same style of driving

Checking here if anyone can share experience/advice?

Reason for Mobil98: Best upfront discounts@ 18%. with DBS-Esso card.
Shell upfront only 5% station discounts + UOB OneCard 5% rebates.

Thanks.

Re: Shell98 gives smoother tranmission?

Sounds strange but don't think type of petrol has any impact on gear 'jolting or slamming'.

Slamming is sympton of possible failure of mechatronic valve body.

elginlye;693927 said:
Hi all,

Done about 7K mileage on 318i LCI.
Been using Shell98 since day 1. Recently tried Mobil98 for 3 weeks+, during which time experienced mild jolting during gear changes at speeds around 40-60km. And twice gear "slamming" into place when kick-down at speeds 40-50km ( 4th to 3rd gear?).

Switched back to Shell98 and no such issues.
Same style of driving

Checking here if anyone can share experience/advice?

Reason for Mobil98: Best upfront discounts@ 18%. with DBS-Esso card.
Shell upfront only 5% station discounts + UOB OneCard 5% rebates.

Thanks.

SPC Revo 98 with Everyday card and SPC card upfront 15% plus 3% discount.

Tried Shell 98 and Mobil 98, mobil is the worse petrol, Shell burned very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petrol has no effect on transmission. Period.

pengful;700203 said:
Petrol has no effect on transmission. Period.

I disagree bro, cos petrol affect the engine and engine will affect the transmission.

The transmission system is a mechanical system. Is it not?

I kiasi - only feed 宝贝 with V-power... Dunno psychological or not, but car feels more powerful and smoother drive...

pengful;700230 said:
The transmission system is a mechanical system. Is it not?

You are right bro, engine smooth = transmission smooth, engine hiccup becos of petrol, transmission hiccup too.

openventure;700240 said:
You are right bro, engine smooth = transmission smooth, engine hiccup becos of petrol, transmission hiccup too.
How does petrol octane rating affect engine smoothness?

wobbles;700238 said:
I kiasi - only feed 宝贝 with V-power... Dunno psychological or not, but car feels more powerful and smoother drive...

same. i will do that too...i got 2 friends who also feed their Z4 only V-power since day 1 for the past 1-2years...

on my A4, i can't really tell the diff betw 98 and vpower. mileage wise Vpower seems to give me better result.

openventure;700240 said:

This is a generalisation.
- Fuel combusts well = no unburnt fuel thus no feeling of knocking, smooth delivery of power across the power band
- Perfectly normal transmission system = no gear engagement issues like jerks or noise getting the cogs into place

Assuming transmission system is ok, then the grade of fuel will determine if power delivery is smooth or "knocking". Fuel does not affect the mechanical parts of the transmission system. You are mixing both up.

pengful;700391 said:
This is a generalisation.
- Fuel combusts well = no unburnt fuel thus no feeling of knocking, smooth delivery of power across the power band
- Perfectly normal transmission system = no gear engagement issues like jerks or noise getting the cogs into place

Assuming transmission system is ok, then the grade of fuel will determine if power delivery is smooth or "knocking". Fuel does not affect the mechanical parts of the transmission system. You are mixing both up.

I did not mixed both up, my previous post indicated fuel to engine, engine to transmission, not fuel to transmission, nevertheless it's all link up to have a smooth ride.

davidtch;700383 said:
How does petrol octane rating affect engine smoothness?

can, its called "the Mind"

Puffer;700388 said:
...on my A4, i can't really tell the diff betw 98 and vpower. mileage wise Vpower seems to give me better result.

Same here, can't tell much diff on 98 & Vpower... And Vpower does give my F10 better mileage as compared to 98...

MW;700444 said:
can, its called "the Mind"

Not true. 92 gives me jerks, 95 was fine until I reflashed ECU from BOSS and 98 keeps it running smooth.

if you use 92 all the time, these jerks should not be happening since 92 is ok for our engines. Its the changing of RON types that create these funny reactions.

pengful;700489 said:
Not true. 92 gives me jerks, 95 was fine until I reflashed ECU from BOSS and 98 keeps it running smooth.
That's why i have nvr pump anything lower than 97. Not even in a Nissan Sunny.

MW;700494 said:
if you use 92 all the time, these jerks should not be happening since 92 is ok for our engines. Its the changing of RON types that create these funny reactions.

Can you try and let me know if the knocks will be gone completely? Unless you are already on 92...:thinking:

pengful;700503 said:
Can you try and let me know if the knocks will be gone completely? Unless you are already on 92...:thinking:

I used 98 last time and then switched to 95 cos boh lui and experienced sluggishness, which up till today I dunno whether is my mind or really the RON affected my car..but then after consistently using 95 for about 3-4 months, now the car no more "sluggishness" and drives same as when I was on 98.

I cannot use 92 cos Yam5 use 92 the petrol station chio minah cashier will laugh at me

cant feel any difference between 98 and v-power.. oni pump v-power when there's promotion :D

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back