SMG 6 Spd - When to change gears?

Alex Z

Hi,

I just got a SMG but find that changing gears upwards can be "jerky" or " pause feeling". So how to do it fast and smooth? What RPM for each gear shift? It is most obvious during gear shift from 1st to 2nd gear.

Re: SMG 6 Spd - When to change gears?

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]re your signature, yours is neither smg1 nor smg2 (sequential manual gearbox). it's the ssg (sports sequential gearbox). for z4, the ssg was released at about the same time smg2 was launched for the m3.

if you intend to travel for an extended period at 1st gear e.g. driving in carparks, go feather lite on the pedal.

if you are shifting through the gears, say to enter highway, you have to be decisive and step on it. the ssg computer will get confused when you are tentative. that's when u get all that jerkiness. wham and no looking back - that's the way.

in sports mode, i cruise at 2nd gear in urban areas e.g. orchard rd and rarely hit 5th gear on expressways. virtually never use the 6th. cruising rpm = 3k. normal gear shifting rpm about 3 to 3.5k. release a wee bit on the gas whenever you shift, just like a manual, for the 1st two gears.

have fun :)

Alex Z
Known in BMW's SMG and SSG are jerkiness in the gear changes at low gears (1 to 3 ) so there is not alot u can really do but u can try to alleviate the jerkiness to a certain extent.

When driving off slow from stationary, the jerkiness is less noticeable when changing into gear 2 and lesser into 3. However, when driven hard from stationary or from a slow roll, u feel all those punches in the low gears...To me, I think it's a sensational feel.... U may want to ease off the throttle real quick when doing the shifts else the punches are even more prominent.

Enjoy the ride. Next time if u dont like the gearbox, change to auto. It's bloody quick and... smooth obviously.

Xkrim3, TripleM,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I expected the jerkiness but just want to be sure it is normal and to find out the correct RPM to gear shift.

I am enjoying the ride so far, when I want smooth ride, go for auto car as you have mentioned.

My start off is still slow (Gear 1 to 2, due to the pause), as compared to other cars. Need more practice.

There is really no 'correct' rpm to shift. I normally head up to 4K on 1st gear and shift. but that's just me

I think the point here is Expectation....

SMG is definitely jerky compared to Automatic or DSG gearbox

Quote PML famous word..... "It's normal"

By the way, I think all non M cars should be called SMG where it stands for Sequential Manual Gearbox and on M cars, it's called SMGII where M in this case, is ///M which is Motorsports. SSG is used on the E36M3. Correct me if I am wrong but when i check ETK and even in my vehicle log card, it's stated as SMG, not SSG.

And oh..... if u really want a smoother shift, lift the right foot a little when shifting..... It helps... :)

some triviality on ssg, extracted from the z4 technology guide, 7th apr 2003 (www.bmw.co.uk):
z4-ssg.jpg

alex z, yeah... 'practice' is the keyword. after a while, you will luv the punch at each gear shift. :cloud9:

Thanks for the SSG write up.

SSG or SMG, I am happy. I just tried the Sports Mode, the pick up is much faster, no chance to go to 6th. You are absolutely right.

Anyone with SMG tried this before ?

When travelling over irregular roads, u tap the accelerator lightly till it gains momentum and u can completely lift off your right foot and the car maintains the right amount of input and keeps the going at a crawling speed without stalling...

Just like the manual BMW from factory, u go up a slope, tap the accelerator and slowly lift off the clutch, the car will maintain the speed and crawl up the slope without the engine stalling....

Piggy,
Havent experienced irregular road here so no experience like that yet.

you want irregular road I can tell you where got... you want?

Medan and Jakarta got a lot

Dear fellas,

I am interested in getting an Z4 3.0 SMG. Just wanted to find out more about the transmission. How do you find the car so far ? Any major complaints to the SMG ? How is the servicing and maintanence for the Z4 ? When do the major problems start to arise ? Pls advise. Thanks.

Pancreas;136417 said:
Dear fellas,

I am interested in getting an Z4 3.0 SMG. Just wanted to find out more about the transmission. How do you find the car so far ? Any major complaints to the SMG ? How is the servicing and maintanence for the Z4 ? When do the major problems start to arise ? Pls advise. Thanks.

Mine is 3L auto so I can't really tell u much bout the SMG maintenance. But I can tell you how it rides. Actually I will leave it to XKrim3 to tell you more.

As for the servicing n maintenance in general, they are pretty straight fwd like any other BMW. U can opt to go back to PML if u wish too or u can go to outside workshops like J4C n BVO, both of which are competent to do the work.

As for problems that might arise......My car is 2yrs old now and zero problem so far ( touch wood ).

Louis,
What problem u got ? So early?......Was it the Electric Power Steering thingy?

TripleM;136441 said:
Louis,
What problem u got ? So early?......Was it the Electric Power Steering thingy?

yup, then my notchy gearbox, then my rattling gearbox, then everything started rattling. now, when i go down ramps at multistorey carpark, can hear creaking, LOUD creaking "yee yee" like that when i turn at the foot of the slope.

told them liao, everything told them liao...... but sometimes can't replicate the problem when i send it in, and sometimes, fix already but rattle still comes back.

Pancreas,

if you buy the Z, either drive it top down as often as possible and/or get a F-ing loud exhaust and play your music loud.... or else you might just have to change your nick to Pancreatitis.

Touch wood, no encounter yet. But my mileage is still low at 8K+ though going to 2.5 yrs old liao

Alex, do you park your car out in the sun for extended periods of time? if you don't i suggest you do just to find out if you have this problem.

this is something you will want to fix under warranty. the owner of your previous interlagos blue Z also had his replaced, and he told me that the cost of the steering column replacement is somewhere in the region of the chery QQ without COE.

TripleM;136441 said:
Mine is 3L auto so I can't really tell u much bout the SMG maintenance. But I can tell you how it rides. Actually I will leave it to XKrim3 to tell you more.

so far so good. approaching 20k. sent for inspection 1. everything still swee x2 leh. so pretty much maintenance free to this point.

you forgot about your last track day already ah? what was your mileage then?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dongphuccongty

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back