some questions to ask

des c

hello all, I am new to the forum and actually joined because I am seriously considering getting a second hand E90 320I, approx 2 to 3 years old and mileage around 50K. Just want to enquire about the things to look out for and the expected wear and tear replacements needed. Also, would like to understand some traits of the car cos currently driving a Japanese performance car and never really understood, "......conti cars are just different......", "...take a corner in a FR BMW and you know what i mean.....". Would really some answers and learn more, thanks a million to the bros here.......

Re: some questions to ask

firstly i think 50k for 2yr is pretty high mileage. Conti and Jap quite similar except when it comes to cost of owning and upkeeping,

yup the mileage is a bit high....when it comes to servicing lot of things will need to be change .. anyway good luck.

Dear Des
I made the switch from Toyota to BMW; in fact E90 320i
It is a pleasure to drive and no problem so far
In looking for any second hand car, things to look out for: service history (unless you buy from PML you will not find out until you are the owner), accident and repair records, any oil leaks, obvious interior and exterior damage (I saw a 2006 320i with really worn interior)
Importantly you must test drive many of the same car, and never buy the first one that you see
PML actually reduced by 5K what they said was fixed price initially for their used BMW when I walked away and kept calling for a week
Good luck

wat are some of the common wear and tear items on the E90 320I, when the mileage hits about 100k??? advice very much appreciated

Dear Des

I have not encountered anything major. I have read threads on noises, plastic door handle that peels off, and plastic guard to electronic seat that breaks; I had the last two. No problem with major bits like transmission, brakes, engine oil leakage.
However by 100K many of these things will be a problem with any car, and repairs for a BMW will be costly
So better get a BMW repairer to check it out before you decide to buy an older car
Mine only did 22K when I bought it, so I left it at the STA checks
My advice is to buy one still with warranty, so either less than one year with two years left, or more than one year but has extended warranty up to 4 years from PML

des c;376610 said:
"......conti cars are just different......", "...take a corner in a FR BMW and you know what i mean.....".

These statements are all relative. From a guy in an S2000, if he takes a corner in a FR non-M BMW then the BMW would be just different in the negative sense, but a VIOS driver would definitely feel an improvement (positive sense).

All in all BMW achieves a very good corporate average from the perspective of `good driving' cars with an above average level comfort.Do take a few corners in a BMW first.

Hey bro. My family owns a vios too. To me its quite a huge diff btw them in terms of power, stability and comfort

Hi Des, warranty's almost over. mileage's a bit high. usual, wear & tear parts like brake pads r borned by owner. maybe can try to read the service booklet to see if there's regular svc. as for bodywork, unless owner sends in to PML, or it won't be in the service history.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiabc8bot

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back