Some 'woo woo' sound when I accelerate my car.

Rexter

Hi all, these few days I notice my e90 320ixl '2007 having some kinda sound as if plane taking off. The sound was quite mild/soft but I could notice it. It only happen when I try to accelerate the car. It happens at speed of 40 > or i should say while I try to step on my accelerator to accelerate. Anyone have this problem/ issues. I don't have any warning light at all.

It sound like ....woo woo....

Any expert can advise

Re: Some 'woo woo' sound when I accelerate my car.

Could be a your wheel bearing.

Rexter;1109756 said:
Hi all, these few days I notice my e90 320ixl '2007 having some kinda sound as if plane taking off. The sound was quite mild/soft but I could notice it. It only happen when I try to accelerate the car. It happens at speed of 40 > or i should say while I try to step on my accelerator to accelerate. Anyone have this problem/ issues. I don't have any warning light at all.

Any expert can advise

May be wheel bearing or rear differential or both.

Did you do anything to yr audio system recently?

i notice not woo woo sound from my E90 but it sounds like a tank at times when im driving along highway....and when i accelerate, the steering vibrates...not pretty sure whether is it tyre or alignment issue....hope some bros can advise....

chandu;1114883 said:
i notice not woo woo sound from my E90 but it sounds like a tank at times when im driving along highway....and when i accelerate, the steering vibrates...not pretty sure whether is it tyre or alignment issue....hope some bros can advise....

It could be a number of things, but with steering vibrations; chances are, it could be the bearings or the control arm. These are normal wear and tear issues and can be easily fixed.

It could also be a simple alignment issue but you haven't said that your steering is not precise.

Lastly, the "woo woo" sound, or sound like a tank, is quite typical. With the older straight sixes/Inline Six (I drive a E30), I akin it to a tamer sounding super car :p

noctua;1114885 said:
It could be a number of things, but with steering vibrations; chances are, it could be the bearings or the control arm. These are normal wear and tear issues and can be easily fixed.

It could also be a simple alignment issue but you haven't said that your steering is not precise.

Lastly, the "woo woo" sound, or sound like a tank, is quite typical. With the older straight sixes/Inline Six (I drive a E30), I akin it to a tamer sounding super car :p

:( can the bearing and control arm wear and tear be visible by naked eye? i'm not sure whether my tyre is the one causing the steering vibrate issue, my steering doesnt eat to either side(left or right) when driving on a highway....it just vibrates around 80-90kmh....

for the woo woo sound, mine sounds more like a tank roaring(woooooorrrrrr wooooooorrrr) then woo woo....lol

chandu;1114888 said:
:( can the bearing and control arm wear and tear be visible by naked eye? i'm not sure whether my tyre is the one causing the steering vibrate issue, my steering doesnt eat to either side(left or right) when driving on a highway....it just vibrates around 80-90kmh....

for the woo woo sound, mine sounds more like a tank roaring(woooooorrrrrr wooooooorrrr) then woo woo....lol

If you think your tires are the cause of it, then they are severely unbalanced tires.

I imagine when you say, the steering does not eat means you do not have to compensate when your car moves either left or right on a straight?

I don't think the control arms and bearing wear are visible to the naked eye per se. You'll have to hoist. The 3 times I have had to change those was because I felt very bad vibration and the steering was not precise.

I have copies of the Haynes repair manual for the BMWs that I have had and your symptoms are usually associated with the control arms and bearing.

Though, in my current E30, I had the same issue but it was because the power steering fluids had either leaked out or somehow, not present when I bought it (I didn't check when I bought it). Was only when I brought it to the workshop, did I find out (quite silly actually).

So, this is a long shot, but totally possible, go check your power steering fluid levels?

noctua;1114889 said:
If you think your tires are the cause of it, then they are severely unbalanced tires.

I imagine when you say, the steering does not eat means you do not have to compensate when your car moves either left or right on a straight?

I don't think the control arms and bearing wear are visible to the naked eye per se. You'll have to hoist. The 3 times I have had to change those was because I felt very bad vibration and the steering was not precise.

I have copies of the Haynes repair manual for the BMWs that I have had and your symptoms are usually associated with the control arms and bearing.

Though, in my current E30, I had the same issue but it was because the power steering fluids had either leaked out or somehow, not present when I bought it (I didn't check when I bought it). Was only when I brought it to the workshop, did I find out (quite silly actually).

So, this is a long shot, but totally possible, go check your power steering fluid levels?

maybe i should check on the power steering fluid level first... BTW, i notice that this car is "very" sophiscated (without any dip stick as compared to other models of car).... how do i check for the fluid level??? :lol:

chandu;1114892 said:
maybe i should check on the power steering fluid level first... BTW, i notice that this car is "very" sophiscated (without any dip stick as compared to other models of car).... how do i check for the fluid level??? :lol:

I am not familiar with the E90 but I am sure there is a dip stick somewhere.

For the power steering fluid, I think you will just need to uncap the container and the dip stick is inside, afixed to the cap.

Mine was easy, there was no power steering fluid.

If you still have fluids in your container, it is unlikely that it is the Power Steering giving you issues.

Sounds to me it's the front bushings on the control arm.. I had the same issue at 90kph.. Power steering fluid can only be checked with naked eye . Simple check if it the bushings put the car in D and let it roll forward then hit the brakes hard , if u hear a knock it's confirm the bushings

gd74;1114903 said:
Sounds to me it's the front bushings on the control arm.. I had the same issue at 90kph.. Power steering fluid can only be checked with naked eye . Simple check if it the bushings put the car in D and let it roll forward then hit the brakes hard , if u hear a knock it's confirm the bushings

just did that last night....no knocks...maybe it's really alignment issue...

Rexter;1109756 said:

Any expert can advise

Hi Bro,

Sounded like a turbo spool maybe? Cause i recently replaced my cooling coil where they had to take out the dashboard. After collecting, i could hear like a turbo spool sound similar to what you are describing. The faster i accelerate the louder it became. Went back to the workshop, the mechanic adjusted something near the steering wheel with a screw driver and it was okay. Don't know if its a similar issue for you.

Rexter;1109756 said:

Any expert can advise
i have the exact same scenario as you, its the axle!

noctua;1121020 said:
Can elaborate more on this? Thanks!
the bearings in the axle are wearing out, i have mine check and double confirmed with 2 workshops. Cost for replacement 3k, recon axle is 2k. I tried the differential fluid changed, spent 180 dollars for 0.5L x 2 useless, still have the whining sound.

allaboutstraps;1121021 said:
the bearings in the axle are wearing out, i have mine check and double confirmed with 2 workshops. Cost for replacement 3k, recon axle is 2k. I tried the differential fluid changed, spent 180 dollars for 0.5L x 2 useless, still have the whining sound.

Thanks! Consider this a noob question but couldn't you just change the bearings?

noctua;1121028 said:
Thanks! Consider this a noob question but couldn't you just change the bearings?
nope, i wish they do. Most ws will tell you change the onglai! Just the same most of them would not advise you to change the differential fluid...:sleepy:

allaboutstraps;1121042 said:
nope, i wish they do. Most ws will tell you change the onglai! Just the same most of them would not advise you to change the differential fluid...:sleepy:

So what you mean is that while the bearings can be changed, the ws will tell you to change the whole part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red123bet
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back