***spark Plug***

Ahbengdriver

Legendary 10 Years
1. how often should SP be changed

2. What is a good spark plug to use on our BMWs

3. What is the effect of using a SP which is not in good conition.

Re: ***spark Plug***

1. How often? That depends on what plugs you are using. If using normal copper plugs, should be around 20-30,000KM. If iridium ones, it will be longer. Some have claimed to use them over 100K.

2. Good plugs? Denso/NGK plugs are good. Bosch IR fusion is another good one.

3. Engine stuttering, misfiring....are common issues associated with worn out plugs.

Why not use original BMW spark plugs? i recently reverted back to originals and i do feel the difference. Should be able to last you 60,000km...

When it comes to spark plus, I also advocate using OEM ones. They are the most reliable to me.

what is the brand and type of the oem plug?

Jason8822;403946 said:
what is the brand and type of the oem plug?

good question. BMW always 'white label' one:lol2: . Do they use Bosch?

BTW, i recently experience jerking in my 335 when I WOT on a few occasions. Its been suspected that I have a fuel pump problem which is gonna cost me some $$ to replace:( . Was wondering if spark plugs could also be an issue. Car has done 22000 km, could any of the spark plugs be an issue?

Ahbengdriver said:
BTW, i recently experience jerking in my 335 when I WOT on a few occasions. Its been suspected that I have a fuel pump problem which is gonna cost me some $$ to replace. Was wondering if spark plugs could also be an issue. Car has done 22000 km, could any of the spark plugs be an issue?
Mis-firing? Possible with cylinders 5 & 6. Gotta drop by BVO to verify.......

kenntona;403957 said:
Mis-firing? Possible with cylinders 5 & 6. Gotta drop by BVO to verify.......

pls elaborate WTF is mis-firing as I ve never heard this term since after I ROD from national sevice:lol2: .

How come yr cylinder 5 n 6 ok, or are they more tuakee?:)

Read from Denso and NGK website that misfiring could be due to worn plugs.
Try going to their website for some idea what is misfiring. IA IA ... haha

DENSO SPARK PLUGS

This jerking is quite obvious misfiring because the aircon cutting out and in does not cause such big respond neither does the change in the cam setting etc.

I experience such jerking recently while waiting at traffic light and my plug is 45k now, but PML told me its due to change only at 100k.
Anyway, i will be going PML before CNY for oil change after which will change my plug to denso iridium with slightly colder heat range (IK-22) at outside workshops.

Ahbengdriver;403955 said:
good question. BMW always 'white label' one:lol2: . Do they use Bosch?

BTW, i recently experience jerking in my 335 when I WOT on a few occasions. Its been suspected that I have a fuel pump problem which is gonna cost me some $$ to replace:( . Was wondering if spark plugs could also be an issue. Car has done 22000 km, could any of the spark plugs be an issue?

Only way to be sure is to remove your plugs to check. But its possible for plugs to foul esp. by carbon or overheating if its not of the correct heat range.

T6;403941 said:
When it comes to spark plus, I also advocate using OEM ones. They are the most reliable to me.

Jason8822;404003 said:
Read from Denso and NGK website that misfiring could be due to worn plugs.
Try going to their website for some idea what is misfiring. IA IA ... haha

DENSO SPARK PLUGS

This jerking is quite obvious misfiring because the aircon cutting out and in does not cause such big respond neither does the change in the cam setting etc.

I experience such jerking recently while waiting at traffic light and my plug is 45k now, but PML told me its due to change only at 100k.
Anyway, i will be going PML before CNY for oil change after which will change my plug to denso iridium with slightly colder heat range (IK-22) at outside workshops.

how much is the DENSO ? u changing all 6 plugs?

Ahbengdriver;404202 said:

From what I have experienced so far, OEM is by far the most reliable ones. DENSO ones are not designed for our rides because there are issues with gapping which causes the misfiring. Also, the OEMs to me, have a better reliability rate than after market ones. Thats just my personal experience.

Ahbengdriver;404202 said:

Got a quote at $128 for 6pcs IK-22

totoseow;404268 said:
anyone here heard or use brisk plugs?

Snowdog of J4C introduced it to me but i'm not quite confident of the Russian product.
Its got a unique ground electrode shaped like flower petals.

But since some reputable workshop dare to sell us this product, it must have passed their confidence test. Right?

i have no idea.....700 bucks for 10 plugs is crazy price. i was tempted but i stuck to OEM.

elmariachi;404209 said:
From what I have experienced so far, OEM is by far the most reliable ones. DENSO ones are not designed for our rides because there are issues with gapping which causes the misfiring. Also, the OEMs to me, have a better reliability rate than after market ones. Thats just my personal experience.

Omar,

I tot the gap are predetermined with each model of plug with specific heat range?
Have been checking out aftermarket plug for quite some time but totally missed the gap issue.
What plug have you used in your car other than oem?
Because its my first set since taking delivery of my car, i have no experience with Denso on BMW.
My confidence with Denso comes from the improvement and gains i had from fitting them on toyota and lexus in my family only.

Jason

totoseow;404286 said:
i have no idea.....700 bucks for 10 plugs is crazy price. i was tempted but i stuck to OEM.

toto...!!!!

you mean $700 for 10 pcs of brisk ???
then i die die will not let them change my plug liao.
btw, maybe M5 use plug with some special characteristics la.

jason

toto,

you referring to 10pcs for your lambo or which car?

jason

As far as i know at that time, Denso plugs require manual gapping of 0.5 or something like that for the E46. Which is why I went for the Volk plugs for the e46 which was nothing short of fantastic. It performed and took alot of beating. Zilch problem. Paid kinda high for the Spec 2's but they were well worth the price IMHO. For newer cars, I suggest keeping it stock untill at a later time where it is safer to do. As engines become more technically complex, it takes similarly a longer time for a product to stand the test of time. Just my 2cents.

Cheers!

Jason8822;404288 said:
Omar,

I tot the gap are predetermined with each model of plug with specific heat range?
Have been checking out aftermarket plug for quite some time but totally missed the gap issue.
What plug have you used in your car other than oem?
Because its my first set since taking delivery of my car, i have no experience with Denso on BMW.
My confidence with Denso comes from the improvement and gains i had from fitting them on toyota and lexus in my family only.

Jason

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back