squeaks when moving or braking to a standstill at low speeds

isjm

hi everyone, i recently change out a set of rims and now there are squeaks, especially at cold starts, whenever i brake to a stop at low speeds, eg parking in a car lot.
what would the first thing that comes to mind regarding this? i have no idea whether it is the new rims not installed perfectly or something happened to the brakes. before changing out my oem rims there was nothing like this.

Re: squeaks when moving or braking to a standstill at low speeds

I changed rims.

I also had same problem.

In fact going down car park spiral ramp on half brake will yik yik yik all the way.

Hearsay some people have it also and it is some resonance.

But I decided to fark care because I like my rims.

but is it brake or wheels? if its the fitment of the rim thats perhaps slightly incorrect, then its not that big a problem but if its the brake problem then i think need to get it checked thoroughly

PML says it's because of the rotor hub which is made of aluminum. SA say those hub which is steel will not have such problem. How true I don't know. Change rotors then will know SA got smoke us anot.

I faced the same problem too, after I changed my rims!

so how ah? is there no remedy to this?

Me too. Same problem after loaded with 20"...

isjm;1089783 said:
what would the first thing that comes to mind regarding this?

"I should get it checked at a workshop asap."

Either try changing rotors and test or to change bbk

i checked it at the ws 1 month ago, the technician mentioned that it may be normal for bmw to have this. he sprayed the brakes with some high powered airgun but it didnt help.
anyway, my car is less than a year old, rotor so fast spoil meh?

Its not spoil. Just that our rotor hub is made of aluminium so its lighter thus will create squeal sound. Its loud when u change to aftermarket rims which suppose to be lighter than oem. (PML say one)

Don't know what PML is talking about .......

TS - are the wheels toqued to spec ....... Use a torque wrench and see the data below from BMW.

Do not use air gun - usually over torquing happens.

Please make sure its hub centric - wheel centre bore and hub - tight fit with no gaps - please brush away rust etc before testing. If got gap - use hub centric rings to fill the gap.

Tighten the nuts in a way that don't cause any bindings.

1 series.

E81 = 120NM
E82 = 120NM
E87 = 120NM
E88 = 120NM
F20 = 140NM
F21 = 140NM

3 Series.

E46 = 120NM
E90/91/92/93 = 120NM
F30/31 = 140NM
F34 = 140NM

4 series
F35 = 140NM

5 series.

E60/61 = 120NM
F07 = 140NM
F10/11 = 140NM
F18 = 140NM

6 series.
E63/64 = 120NM
F06 = 140NM
F12/13 =140NM

7 series.

E65/66 = 140NM
F01 = 140NM
F02 = 140NM

X1
E84 = 120NM

X3
E83 = 140NM
F25 = 140NM

X5
E53 = 140NM
E70 = 140NM

X6
E71 = 140NM

Z4
E85/86 = 120NM
E89 = 120NM

bombom08;1089898 said:
Its not spoil. Just that our rotor hub is made of aluminium so its lighter thus will create squeal sound. Its loud when u change to aftermarket rims which suppose to be lighter than oem. (PML say one)

Last edited by a moderator:

RBB: U also beri cheem lei... r u saying the squeaks sound come from the gaps and bindings? If thats the case, is it the tyre shop job to fix them?

pardon my ignorant huh :shakehea:

Red_Bean_Bun;1089913 said:
Don't know what PML is talking about .......

TS - are the wheels toqued to spec ....... Use a torque wrench and see the data below from BMW.

Do not use air gun - usually over torquing happens.

Please make sure its hub centric - wheel centre bore and hub - tight fit with no gaps - please brush away rust etc before testing. If got gap - use hub centric rings to fill the gap.

Tighten the nuts in a way that don't cause any bindings.

1 series.

E81 = 120NM
E82 = 120NM
E87 = 120NM
E88 = 120NM
F20 = 140NM
F21 = 140NM

3 Series.

E46 = 120NM
E90/91/92/93 = 120NM
F30/31 = 140NM
F34 = 140NM

4 series
F35 = 140NM

5 series.

E60/61 = 120NM
F07 = 140NM
F10/11 = 140NM
F18 = 140NM

6 series.
E63/64 = 120NM
F06 = 140NM
F12/13 =140NM

7 series.

E65/66 = 140NM
F01 = 140NM
F02 = 140NM

X1
E84 = 120NM

X3
E83 = 140NM
F25 = 140NM

X5
E53 = 140NM
E70 = 140NM

X6
E71 = 140NM

Z4
E85/86 = 120NM
E89 = 120NM

iankaw;1089917 said:
RBB: U also beri cheem lei... r u saying the squeaks sound come from the gaps and bindings? If thats the case, is it the tyre shop job to fix them?

pardon my ignorant huh :shakehea:
What RBB is saying is that it might not be tighten enough. Get a ws with torque wrench & tighten up to the torque mentioned above.

squeaks when moving or braking to a standstill at low speeds

davidtch;1089921 said:
What RBB is saying is that it might not be tighten enough. Get a ws with torque wrench & tighten up to the torque mentioned above.

Absolutely correct. That's what makes RBB TYREWORKS different.

*runs away

davidtch;1089921 said:

Sometimes it's over-tightened ..... Then got lots of stress .... Worst case - snaps.

Dun think the place i bought the rims from will entertain me on using torque wrench bah. Most ws use air gun isnt it? By the way RBB is your method tested and proven?

The tyre shop I go to use torque wrench ..... Damn big size for 120nm. Having nuts and bots torqued right is best practice - that's why the bmw manual has a database just for torque specs.

You can use the air gun to speed up the screw in but use the torque wrench to tighten.

Check the hub centric fitment as well ...... Just make sure wheel is sitting nice and snug. Any gaps might create NVH.

bombom08;1089924 said:
Dun think the place i bought the rims from will entertain me on using torque wrench bah. Most ws use air gun isnt it? By the way RBB is your method tested and proven?

whoa ok. thanks for all the info. so what you're saying is the fella might not have put on the rims properly? will check it out at a friend's tyre shop. btw this info is in the car manual right?

bombom08;1089924 said:
Nowadays, cars are made out of non-steel metal. Using torque wrench is very important to prevent over/under tightening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sodo6789skin
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back