stroker kits for M20?

leowjulen

Hi all,

am currently driving an E34 520i with the M20B20 engine and was wondering if any workshop here does stroker kits for this engine?

I know in Malaysia you can do an E60 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre conversion for about S$10K but can't seem to find any similar service for an ancient engine like mine!

Cheers...

Re: stroker kits for M20?

You can try importing the hardware from VAC Motorsports in the US. They are hardcore race designers, machinists and assemblers with direct ties to top race component manufacturers. They'll do one offs too if you want.

leowjulen;166654 said:
Hi all,

am currently driving an E34 520i with the M20B20 engine and was wondering if any workshop here does stroker kits for this engine?

I know in Malaysia you can do an E60 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre conversion for about S$10K but can't seem to find any similar service for an ancient engine like mine!

Cheers...
Hi LJL,
Actually for e34 you can use the M20B25 .
Yes, In M'sia some of the w'shop using the stroker kit to upgrade their 2.2 to 3.0 for that kind of price. But they are not aware that their inlet cam-shaft, exhaust valve, inlet air-mass etc... are different. doubt they are enjoying their pure 231 bhp from the M54 3.0 for the amount paid for.

Cheersss

heheh...this is a job for Ronkovic...

calling ROnkovic...someone needs ur advice on stroking..:)

No offense to those who recommended Metric Mechanic, but may I suggest looking elsewhere for inspiration, information, parts. Somewhere that has been involved in real performance arenas within the last 5 years. Poisonous is the right word to use when there are consistently 2 major conceptual errors per short paragraph. Metric Mechanics may build engine that get the job done, at a low price, and that is great, but a very large amount of what they write and what they claim to be is false. When a company is dishonest or quick to promote error, then everything else they do is questionable. In other words, go expecting to get an ok engine at a low price. Don't expect a great engine (as the website self-defeatingly claims) for a low price.

There is nothing personal about this. Not trying to put my recommended company (VAC) over your company or anything like that. You could go to Dinan or Turner Motorsport if you want, assuming they have the parts you want - anything but Metric Mechanic unless all you want is a near stock street engine. I've never have come across anything ridiculous from Turner (plus they race Speed World Challenge), and Dinan always has written sensible white papers as well as currently and lately supplied a few current Grand Am Rolex Series teams with good result.

Peace

Dear all,

thanks for the advice and the discussion. Been doing a lot of online research; shaun, just curious to know, why do you reckon Metric Mechanic is bogus?

Anyway, looks like most stuff you can get from the US is for the 2.5-litre, so that rules me out! That said, this place does seem to sell engines pretty cheapishly: Bavarian Engine Exchange & Rebuilt BMW Parts. Anyone know if there are import restrictions on engines?

Also... kinda wondering if anyone's ever driven up to Malaysia for a long holiday in a 2.0 and come back with a car that feels very much like a 2.5? :p

The idea that the shortblock, determines one, and the heads, the other, is not accurate at all. The longer lever idea of increased torque is completely wrong for 3 reasons too long to get into under this topic. They have these absolute basics entirely wrong and still claim 20 years of R&D. It is like someone who writes and speaks badly broken English, claiming to have studied the psychology and sociology of English for 20 years, and in the process having earned a doctorate.

The replies (your own included) and links on the recent HP and Torque thread alone, provide concept to the contrary of what Metric Mechanic claims.

Chris Cab, a big texan driving a e30 cab stroked his m20 engine afew years back, still see his car around town once in a while. Got all the parts from the US but works done in KL. Also check out a chap Calvin Tan in KL, he runs a BMW part shop eurocarmotorsport.com and has brought in stroker kits for m20's. He actually runs a sweet 3.0l stroker e30.

This looks interesting..

G-POWER displacement-increased engine G5 2.8
Basis 520i, cubic capacity extension, motronic adjustment engine block
engine block modification to 2926ccm, 222hp (163kW), torque 286Nm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8kbet1biz