Surprise Insurance Claim - Need Advice

LuvMyUDM

Hi All Bros,

Need some advice from you guys or anyone encountered similar experience.

2 weeks ago, while sending my wife to work, i accidentally had a light contact into a Honda Odessey or Toyota Picnic (can't remember). The road was crowded as it was near a school, the driver came down and make some noise and i wind down my window and apologize and off we go.

From what i see, there is no damage to his car and he got back his car and i just drove off. I'm aware that when i drove off, he took pic of my car but no exchange of person particulars and etc.

Today, when i just got back from biz trip, i received a letter from my insurance company that a party has made a claimed on my insurance and my NCD will be reduced from 50% to 30%.

I'm planning to call the insurance company tomorrow to find out more details on cost of claims and etc.

My questions are:

1. Have anyone had such experience before?
2. What if that guy make ridiculous amount claim, how can i deal with it? Can i denied the claim thru my insurance company and fight the case based on the other party trying to fraud on insurance?
3. If the amount is less than S$500, which i'm more willing to pay to resolve the case to save trouble, can it still be done with affecting my NCD?

Look forward to any Bros who has similar encountered or good knowledge in car insurance.

Thanks
LuvMyUDM

Re: Surprise Insurance Claim - Need Advice

in my opinion...u shld make a report to ur insurance immediately that there is no damage to his vehicle and you shld take some pictures of his vehicle and urs at the accident spot as some proof.

from what i see, it is ur words against his and u bang his backside so there may be some complication.

i do hope ur insurance company will be able to help u sort things out.

como;408311 said:
in my opinion...u shld make a report to ur insurance immediately that there is no damage to his vehicle and you shld take some pictures of his vehicle and urs at the accident spot as some proof.

from what i see, it is ur words against his and u bang his backside so there may be some complication.

i do hope ur insurance company will be able to help u sort things out.
Agree with Como. make a report immediately. You priorty now is to let your insurance know this incident. I believe you have driven away without taking any pics. Anyway, Whether they are claiming ridiculous amount or fraud, your insurance will deal with them. Please also speak to your insurance company about this case so that your NCD will not be affected, Hope this helps.:)

For starters, you should contact your insurer and put them on notice that there was never a collision, had there been one, you would have already reported the incident pursuant to the terms of your insurance policy. JUST DENY THE WHOLE THING, onus is upon the claimant to proof his claim.

I just successfully fend off an absolutely ridiculous claim filed on my vehicle by a motorist who backed into my car when it was driven by my wife, probably purposely so that he could get a fresh coat of paint. What helped was pictures of the incident and like what some Bros have said, being the vehicle at the back does put you in somewhat a disadvantage to begin with. But think through the process and exploit the circumstances to your advantage.

Same thing happened to me with a comfort taxi. no damage, took photos, driver agreed no damage, exchanged particulars(bc driver was relief). later taxi hirer claimed that damage significant need repairs. told him to bring to IDAC. after few months got a claim thru my ins co, $1700. 'repair' done at comfort, claimed that bracket broken, changed whole bumper. claim was made after repair, ins co wanted to settle even as there was no damage and independent survey. but ultimately we settled at 1100, i paid direct, bc of ncd and loading. also if you drag, legal fees etc will add to the cost. Ins co helped me settle the matter. i actually bumped into his taxi (old comfort) while rolling forward ie not pressing on accelarator.

Its your word against his. From my experience, doesn't matter who's in the right/wrong in reality, it's who sues first who's in superior position to win the case.

I used to think people who rear end others are always at fault in the eye of the law, till a sleazy mutherfXXXXX biker who rear ended my friends car whilst trying to weave in and out of traffic, injured rider eventually made a false police report, got his insurance company to sue my friend first and in the end got away with 50-50 compensation. My friend, needless to say, lost his NCD. Life sux.

And my friend drives a 911 C4S. Double sux.

The insurance industry is super poorly regulated. machiam like cowboy town out there. Something needs to be done.

Forgot to give advice.

In your case, check if the other driver has an independent witness. If not witness, he can say anything he wants. You will need to find yourself an alibi. Someone whom you can claim was driving behind you to go to a same destination for a meeting or somewhat and that s/he can vouch that you were not involved in any accident. Then let the insurance companies work it out. Chances are if both parties do not admit and do not have credible witnesses, the case will end up 50-50. Both insurance companies benefit coz both parties lose their NCDs.

It's our Legal System's way of demonstrating half-assed justice. Which is why all lawyers have arse cracks that run horizontal, rather than vertical like us normal beings....coz they are dig sitting on the fence.

No offence to practicing lawyers here on BMW SG.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back