Tires Review

Samurai

Fellow M ride owners, care to share your experiences with any particular brand and model of tyres for the benefit of other members?

I start off with:

1) Continental CSC 3 265/35/19

Quiet, soft, comfy, bulky, rounded edge. Treadwear is poor. Lasted only 18k km on the road without tracking. Dry grip not so fantastic too. Wet is fine, anyway dun dare to run too fast in the rain.

2) Falken FK452 275/30/19

Harder than Continental. Feels more on the ground. Relatively quiet. Bgt it at a fraction of the cost versus the continental tyres, this is value for money. Can't comment on treadwear yet as still using them. Even though it is 275 width, it looks the same width as the CSC3! However, sidewall looks much nicer, less bulky or thick. Looks more compatible with front 245/35/19 too in terms of sidewall thickness. Dry and wet grip not bad.

Would love to hear from others on Michelin PS2, PS3, PSS, Continental ExtremeContact DW, CSC5P, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Toyo, Dunlop tires review even though I hv tried some on previous rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tires Review

Was on CSC3 and I kinda agree the dry grip isn't as good and in the wet, forget about going past 5000rpm.

Currently on PSS, so far its been rather amazing and I still can't believe the amount of grip it offers! I'm no ace driver but it is most noticed during long sweeping corners that you can still carry the speed through it and still have room for more but of course the threshold of my ding dangs are lower than that of the tires!

Off the lights in S5 mode and 8k shifts, there is a definite difference between the PSS and CSCs. Well at least thats what my butt feels!

Have just been told that my rear tyres are running thin after less than a year. SE at Munich mentioned that I can change just the rears. Am a little skeptical, as that could change the balance of the car.

Anyone here has changed only the rears? If so, how does it feel with the unbalanced grip levels?

Stock car was on PS2s, and am thinking of PSSs. Anyone with lobang for the best deal out there?

Thanks, chaps.

nizam;711771 said:
Have just been told that my rear tyres are running thin after less than a year. SE at Munich mentioned that I can change just the rears. Am a little skeptical, as that could change the balance of the car.

Anyone here has changed only the rears? If so, how does it feel with the unbalanced grip levels?

Stock car was on PS2s, and am thinking of PSSs. Anyone with lobang for the best deal out there?

Thanks, chaps.

leong seng PSS around $600 / tire
dave jr around the same.... maybe $20 / tire cheaper
heard of a tire shop called soh tires at amk.... trying googling for address.... also around these prices.

best to call around and ask / cross compare.

In short, CSC3 good, but not good enuff. Was on RE11, good stuff too (as with AD08) but wear rate was terrible. PS2 good grip, but sidewalls soft, rectified by PSS - best so far. Yet to try CEC D/W - need to import.

Am currently on PSS from Dave jr. Have tried many different tires on different cars, mainly all the high performance street and semislicks. I have to say I'm pretty impressed by the PSS. It is overall the best street performance tire I've come across to date. I still feel that the sidewalls are soft compared to JDM counterparts but if u run 'em at the correct psi rating on or off track, they dun feel squishy. There is alot of dry grip on them and they dun snap, which Michelins usually dun anyway.

nizam;711771 said:

Thanks, chaps.

My rears oso wear out faster than the front and I just changed the rears to 275/30/19. Stock tires come in staggered sizes anyway, so no change to balance.

I would think 285/30/19 is better. Stock size 265/35/19 is too thick imho.

Samurai;712212 said:
My rears oso wear out faster than the front and I just changed the rears to 275/30/19. Stock tires come in staggered sizes anyway, so no change to balance.

Thanks.

I meant to ask that even if one fits in new rear tyres using the factory sizing, because the rear are new and front are probably 50% worn, there would be a change in grip balance.

But good to know from your experience that changing rears only does not change balance (and you've upsized it too).

Am likely to go with PSS.

Always been a big fan of the PS2s - probably had 5 sets in different rides. Good balance of grip, steering feel and wear.

Tried the PS3 and did not like it - dry grip is so-so, and steering feel is not quite as good as PS2s (this is subjective). The PS3s were initially marketed as the successor to the PS2s, but then it appears that Michelin is now saying that the PSS are the true successors to the PS2s.

Had 2 sets of P Zeros (including a set of reds). While grip was very good, the wear rate was too quick.

nizam;713484 said:
Am likely to go with PSS.

Always been a big fan of the PS2s - probably had 5 sets in different rides. Good balance of grip, steering feel and wear.

Tried the PS3 and did not like it - dry grip is so-so, and steering feel is not quite as good as PS2s (this is subjective). The PS3s were initially marketed as the successor to the PS2s, but then it appears that Michelin is now saying that the PSS are the true successors to the PS2s.

Had 2 sets of P Zeros (including a set of reds). While grip was very good, the wear rate was too quick.

May i know how many km did u get out of your set of PS2?

clar;713657 said:
May i know how many km did u get out of your set of PS2?

On the M3, i think I can get more than 30K plus km on the tyres. Staggered set up so can't rotate tyres.

In previous rides, I've gone up to 40K km.

The P zeros would get me 2/3rds of the tyrewear from the PS2s

Samurai;712212 said:

I changed mine to 265/30/19. I know that throws off the odo and speedo by a bit. However I did feel that it was a lil bit more lively! Either that or subconsciously its a hallucination lol!

nizam;713694 said:
On the M3, i think I can get more than 30K plus km on the tyres. Staggered set up so can't rotate tyres.

In previous rides, I've gone up to 40K km.

The P zeros would get me 2/3rds of the tyrewear from the PS2s

Wow, 30 to 40K?!! I din know PS2s could last that long. Mine's at 12k and i am already itching to change them to PSS :p

clar;713827 said:
Wow, 30 to 40K?!! I din know PS2s could last that long. Mine's at 12k and i am already itching to change them to PSS :p

I got just shy of 40K on PS2s too on the sedan. they were pricey but lasted, so cost wise they were decent.

I ran PS2s on my weekend car but those got changed out before 4K cos they were reaching 2 years of use. Am now on CSC3s which are a lot cheaper, but I don't think the grip is as good.

Sucks that PSS only run 18" up.

Anyone tried the Hankook S1 evo? I read the review and seems good for the price.

rex7_vtec;713810 said:
I changed mine to 265/30/19. I know that throws off the odo and speedo by a bit. However I did feel that it was a lil bit more lively! Either that or subconsciously its a hallucination lol!

Did you change your front to same profile too? Otherwise your rear is going to look thinner than the stock front at 265/35.

And what abt the gap between the tyres and the wheel arch? Unless you have coilovers or lowering springs.

Samurai;715130 said:
Did you change your front to same profile too? Otherwise your rear is going to look thinner than the stock front at 265/35.

And what abt the gap between the tyres and the wheel arch? Unless you have coilovers or lowering springs.

Yes the rear looks slightly thinner than the front but its not a huge difference. Currently on the competition coil overs. No big gap as well. Will take a pic of it during the day!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
good88compink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back