To be or not to be a bimmer owner; that is really the question...

Sam Yan

Gd evening to Bimmer Community :whatthe:
My name is Sam. Presently driving a 5 yr + CRV.
Thot of changing to a 320i.
Chanced upon a 2008 model with a 35k km but handsomely tagged at 92k.
Need help from some kind folk on how to validate the odometer reading.
Kum Siah.:roll:

Re: To be or not to be a bimmer owner; that is really the question...

Sam Yan;929816 said:

highly doubt the mileage is accurate...but then again who knows. You can try asking for past records of servicing (mileage included inside) as a form of validation. however there is actually no actual way to 100% prove that it has been tweaked.:boring:

to be or not to be ... but first must read the repair cost for 320i thread
i doubt 35k milleage for 2008 car too unless can be verified

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine was 57k for an 07 car , there was a physical copy of full pml records till 52k so that seems trustable ,

But before anything sent for checks before committing :)

Later u need to replace this and that you more headache

Sam Yan;929816 said:

I went through the thread regarding 2nd hand BMW. I think you need to be cautious when u want to change to a pre owned one with high mileage. Because there seems to be quite a bit of repair cost involved as well. However, I hope u can get a BMW and fulfill your wish.

Cheers

get a cheap one and set aside $7k-$10K for repair cost to make the car swee swee again

ie engine top overhaul, gearbox overhaul, change all seals, gaskets, hoses, suspensions, mounts, etc depending on the car conditions

noobmiyavi;929839 said:
I went through the thread regarding 2nd hand BMW. I think you need to be cautious when u want to change to a pre owned one with high mileage. Because there seems to be quite a bit of repair cost involved as well. However, I hope u can get a BMW and fulfill your wish.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

That's very logical .....

wt_know;929842 said:
get a cheap one and set aside $7k-$10K for repair cost to make the car swee swee again

ie engine top overhaul, gearbox overhaul, change all seals, gaskets, hoses, suspensions, mounts, etc depending on the car conditions

Sam Yan;929816 said:

Hi Sam,

welcome onboard.......

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Sprawler;929821 said:
highly doubt the mileage is accurate...but then again who knows. You can try asking for past records of servicing (mileage included inside) as a form of validation. however there is actually no actual way to 100% prove that it has been tweaked.:boring:

Hi Sprawler & Frens :dance:
Thanks for responding. It's a warm inception :lol: Think checking the maintenance records is a brilliant idea. For 92k & supposedly 35k km, does it sound like a reasonably gd buy? Juz wonderin' whether tis Jul 08 car can give me a run for the money? :huhhuh:

Sam Yan;930067 said:
Thanks for responding. It's a warm inception :lol: Think checking the maintenance records is a brilliant idea. For 92k & supposedly 35k km, does it sound like a reasonably gd buy? Juz wonderin' whether tis Jul 08 car can give me a run for the money? :huhhuh:

Or you can actually search for used 320i at this forums , usually direct owner sale+ so much lower priced than agent sales

Sam Yan;930067 said:

im selling my 520i for about 95k.. may 08 vehicle. mileage 100k+ . do you think ur 320i sounds like a good deal now ;)

i think from the key the authorised service center can tell what's the mileage.

Its a totally different setup and ride from your CRV. CRV provides more storage, your choice bro

Sam Yan;929816 said:

For me, if the car come with very low mileage, I will check the interior wear and tear. Likely if mileage is low = low usage then condition must be better than others in term of leather and dash board. Next will be the engine and under carriage. Lot of wear and tear might need to change after major servicing. And check will PML for last servicing done and the date. With this, likely you will know the history.

Just my five cents worth.

Ok, fair is fair - some owners (me, for example) only do city driving to and fro work - my old E65 clocked less than 15k in 2 years of ownership. My present F02 is doing slightly better in terms of usage - we just had our 10k service done at PML after 1.5 years of owning the car.

My F13 gets driven on Sunday mornings on long Eco-mode trips from Tuas to Changi just to drop the fuel consumption (I know, I'm a fcuktard sometimes) to a more respectable figure (it's now a pretty decent 12.7L/100km, or almost 8km/L) and I've clocked a touch above 5k after nearly a year of ownership.

Doing the math would mean, should I wanna sell my F02 @ the 5 year mark, it would have an expected 37k to 40k, max 45k on the clock. Similarly, for my F13, I'm looking at (with current driving methods intact), 35k - 40k on the odometer.

My point is, not every low mileage car is a fake. There are some (perhaps many) of us that don't take our car's out to Malaysia (well, apart from JB for seafood and petrol, I guess haha) much.

As what some of the bros here have said:

1. Check service records and receipts
2. Engage a good independent mechanic for an assessment (this is money well spent that may save you from spending more upon signing the papers!) - just message any of our site sponsors to check if they provide such a service
3. Check for "other" evidence - interior wear and tear, are there a lot of high speed paint chips on the bodywork, how does the cushion support feel etc - that may support or refute the seller's low mileage claim.
4. Take test drive if permitted. Nothing beats hands on experience.

GOOD LUCK! And welcome to the forum!

jaskin;930458 said:
i think from the key the authorised service center can tell what's the mileage.

Hi Jaskin. You r right. Confirmed that when you plugged in the car key in the car agent's system, you can track the last servicing & mileage. Come to think of it - what if the last owner did an adjustment before bringing the car in to register its lastest low mileage ;-) ?

then dun buy lor.....
buy car ..see u heng or sway!
if u heng...u buy 1 with 150k on it ode also nothing happened!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgripe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back