To cut or not to cut

Ghostrider

If you dun cut how is the sound going to come thru the rear leh ?

The kinda installation method is call Free Air Sub. Instead of using the box as an enclousure it uses the whole boot as its enclousure.

You have to cut a small part out from your rear parcel shelf...but dun need to cut too much. Watch out as some kuku I have seen cut almost the whole piece out...this will result in your rear begin very soft. Even you start blasting...your whole rear windscreen will flex as well.

Using a 10' or 12' depend on how big is your boot and what kinda sound you want. If you want those tight bass, go for the 10'X 2 setup...make sure you have anough juice (amp power) to drive it. Else your sub will bottom out due to lack of power on higher volume.

If you want to add ambience to the music only, 12' with min power is ok.

BTW...make sure the shop fabricate a piece of wood panel to support your subs...dun let them bolt directly to the metal...your metal sheet will not support that kinda weight.

Thanks Ghost. There are some owners who didnt cut, cos heart pain.
Also seen some Merc owners who didnt wanna cut also.
The sound certainly doesnt sound as good but there was still an effect. I did wonder also about how the sound is gonna travel thru such good insulation in bmws and benz..but apparently some owners really dont want any cutting.

Will prob go with a 12", and make sure the wood panel is done as mentioned by u.

Re: To cut or not to cut

oneHeadlight said:
Has anyone installed a free-air subwoofer , ie the kind not in the box but hanging jus like your rear speakers. One shop reco cuttin the metal board for a 10" sub, another say don't cut but use a 12". Opinions or share your experience pls...thanks.

i have the same dilemma too...
to cut or not to cut...?!
my ICE shop guy said tt bmw boot's soundproofing too gd....
so must cut away a tissue-box-sized hole..
i still contemplating whether to do so or not..

oneHeadlight said:
Thanks Ghost. There are some owners who didnt cut, cos heart pain.
Also seen some Merc owners who didnt wanna cut also.
The sound certainly doesnt sound as good but there was still an effect. I did wonder also about how the sound is gonna travel thru such good insulation in bmws and benz..but apparently some owners really dont want any cutting.

Will prob go with a 12", and make sure the wood panel is done as mentioned by u.

Dun say Euro models...my friend's new RS200 Altezza also did not want to cut...the sub sounds so funny...I went to ask my installer about it...he told me "dun cut how to have sound coming out...all you can hear is so covered up and feel the sub vibrations only !!"

Like I said...dun need to cut a hugh hole...just small portion enough for the sound to travel thru is good enough.

Tip : Stay away when they cut....usually my install ask me to go drink kopi for 10mins while he cuts...you dun see not heart pain.

HAha.... funny installer.. It seems only logical to have it cut i guess. Btw, anyone got the address of hong guan ?

THanks Ghost...now seventh month ..anyway, spoke to two of the recommended ones. One say cut, one say better not cut. SO there... i guess its now down to individual judgement, as cliche as it may sound.

I would like to know who said dun cut sia...wondering if they got some special installation or tuning technique that allows the sound waves to reach the cabin.

Care to PM me who is the installer who said that ? Just curious only....

Oh ya...all my good buddies coming out soon hor...everyone drive safely !! :laughlik: :laughlik:

Its all system go. Its potong time !! Hong Guan seems to most friendly so far...WHats your system CHarontes ?

I listen in my fren's accord today. 3 amps, front and back components, one 12".... and he tells me its just basic... i can tell u, its beyond words for me already.

oneHeadlight said:
WHats your system CHarontes ?

front speaker: x162s rockford type rf
rear speaker: diamondaudio s600
Subwoofer: 12" kicker solobaric L7