Top Up Engine Oil

Bimmerist

Hi! Folks, I 'm driving an E90 325. I am having this problem on engine oil. The engine oil indicator will come on after about every 7500 km, and when I checked with PML, they just asked me to top it up. The servicw advisors said it's a norm. I am really puzzled by this issue. Do you guys face this problem? Can someone advise?

Re: Top Up Engine Oil

Welcome to the family...im wif you wif the same problem at 8000 2mths back...guess tis the price to pay for our "beauties".....just top it up and rev her on...

Hi Guys, did you check the oil level periodically or just leave it till the indicator light pop-up? :juggle:

Oil level decreasing over the time should be quite normal leh.

If you are driving a Jap car with the exception of Rotary Engines previously, you will find topping up of engine oil to be totally absurd or abnormal but its actually normal for BMWs so just top it up will do. The engines are designed to consume a little engine oil or so I heard. No worries, your car is fine :)

............mine consumes 1L for every 3000km.....
is that normal?

1 litre every 3000km sounds abit excessive... but i guess it depends on what car you are driving.... the bigger engines got more to burn i suppose...

mine is a 320i... my first top up is about 7500km. Top up 1 litre and it lasted me till about 12000km, with no visible burnt off.

Mine consumes 1L for every 1000km. No kidding.

Don't know can go into Guiness Book of Record or not.

C3P0;365320 said:
Mine consumes 1L for every 1000km. No kidding.

Don't know can go into Guiness Book of Record or not.

Wahh !!! :yikess: You sure there's no oil leak in the engine, bro ??

318 NewBoy;365335 said:
Wahh !!! :yikess: You sure there's no oil leak in the engine, bro ??

No leak. Don't know what's wrong. No workshop can figure out why. Topping up oil is like damn normal to me, I close one eyes also can swee swee pour the oil into the hole, like doing tek tarik.

So no worries if anyone has to top up every 2,000km or 3,000km. You are still better off than me.

And no, although I'm robot, I didn't use the engine oil to oil myself, contrary to common belief.

Topping up engine oil is a common thing for ALL engines. During the combustion stroke, the piston goes down the cylinder leaving a thin film of oil on the cylinder liners. This oil film burns off and is replaced on the next cycle of the engine. To make matters worse, most of the BM engines have 6 or more cylinders.

In addition, the high revs that usually accompanies BMWs means a crank shaft that churns the oil sump oil very well. This oil vapour is evacuated out of the crankcase by a connection to the intake manifold for subsequent burning. This burns off the engine oil vapours and leaves no indication of oil leaks.

Lastly, european engines typically run hotter than japanese blocks. This is design feature to extract more thermal efficiency from fuel. As a result, there is less water vapour trapped within the engine oil. The water vapour comes from normal combustion processes. If you take a japanese engine, change/top up the engine oil to correct level, then run the car in town for 5000km, you will find the oils at the same level. Next, take the car to the NS H'way for a hard drive, you will find the oil level dropping after you reach the destination. This "missing" oil is actually the water condensate evaporating from the oil.

cheers, your engine is fine.

Thanx R2D for the tech explanation. Most helpful. Happened also to my 520i after 7000km. Checked no oil leak, then dip stick check which showed level just above half way mark but car computer said below minimum. So, wen to top up and 2litres disapeared into the big gaping black hole.....

Now wondering if any synthetic engine oil would do, or need to watch out certain brands.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slotgacor88507

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back