transmission problem with my e36

peckhs

some problems with the manual transmission with my recently acquired e36 325..
normally for manual gearboxes there is sort of a guide to select the gears... eg, when we want to select 1st, we are able to feel where the 'slot' is, and likewise for reverse and the other gears..
however, my gearbox does not have this 'slots'. i am unable to differentiate between the gears... i do not even know which is reverse and which is 1st until i move...
was told that the 'gator' (or 'gater') is not working???

hope my explanation not too blurr... as i can't really put it into words..

anyone has had some problems, or may know what is wrong??

i was told i had to dismantle the gearbox and send to ZF for repair... :verysad:

Re: transmission problem with my e36

peckhs;502266 said:
some problems with the manual transmission with my recently acquired e36 325..
normally for manual gearboxes there is sort of a guide to select the gears... eg, when we want to select 1st, we are able to feel where the 'slot' is, and likewise for reverse and the other gears..
however, my gearbox does not have this 'slots'. i am unable to differentiate between the gears... i do not even know which is reverse and which is 1st until i move...
was told that the 'gator' (or 'gater') is not working???

hope my explanation not too blurr... as i can't really put it into words..

anyone has had some problems, or may know what is wrong??

i was told i had to dismantle the gearbox and send to ZF for repair... :verysad:

Hi peckhs,

why not bring it down to either BVO, J4C or BOSS Motorsports for a check?

cheers

The selector fork has opened up.......

I've another problem with my gearbox. Quite recent. Mine is an Auto.

If i select to D, the gears change up to gear 2. When it's time for gear 3 to be engaged, the gear becomes free. Like in N. And the engine check light comes on.

Some workshop asked me to overhaul. Some say it can be ECU problem.

What do u guys think i should do?

:oooops::helpp!:

This problem happened after i "button" the accelerator to clear from amber light. Then i realized the gear is not shifting up after that.. Same thing "Engine Check" light came on.

B33M3R;513053 said:

If i select to D, the gears change up to gear 2. When it's time for gear 3 to be engaged, the gear becomes free. Like in N. And the engine check light comes on.

This problem happened after i "button" the accelerator to clear from amber light. Then i realized the gear is not shifting up after that.. Same thing "Engine Check" light came on.

maybe the gearbox is 'slipping'??? happened to one of my old merc W124, the auto box keep slipping to neutral when i'm going uphill... in the end scrapped the car as it was not worth repairing...

but that's just my experience. maybe someone else will be able to advise you better..

B33M3R;513053 said:

hi, had quite similar problem on my e36 (auto) last year. the gear doesnt seem to change. it started and stopped at 3rd or 4th gear and i still drag on for approx 6 mnths b4 it slipped and 'died'.

had the gear box changed in a workshop at pandan road (reconditioned - 1 to 1 change) at sgd 1500 / and able to collect the car in 2 to 3 hrs. (most w/shop quote few k and must leave the car for a week.)

btw, i also had my ecu, timing belt, and alternator repaired. end up paid less than 2500/-.
hope the above help.

wta711;513275 said:
hi, had quite similar problem on my e36 (auto) last year. the gear doesnt seem to change. it started and stopped at 3rd or 4th gear and i still drag on for approx 6 mnths b4 it slipped and 'died'.

had the gear box changed in a workshop at pandan road (reconditioned - 1 to 1 change) at sgd 1500 / and able to collect the car in 2 to 3 hrs. (most w/shop quote few k and must leave the car for a week.)

btw, i also had my ecu, timing belt, and alternator repaired. end up paid less than 2500/-.
hope the above help.

Thx for the information. Does the reconditioned one comes with warranty? Can't it be repaired? Perhaps it might be cheaper? Cos my parents dunno about it. $ comes from my pocket. :thinking::shhhh:

B33M3R;513362 said:
Thx for the information. Does the reconditioned one comes with warranty? Can't it be repaired? Perhaps it might be cheaper? Cos my parents dunno about it. $ comes from my pocket. :thinking::shhhh:

it's a reconditional ie they remove other ride, 'repair' and fit onto your ride while urs will be recon and fit onto other ride. it comes with 6 months warranty.

call the workshop (Topspeed) to check ur gear box avail. & cost. good luck

Top Speed Motors
20 Pandan Loop
Tel: 67798562
HP: 96819011 Gurbak Singh (Nick)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members