Tyre Rotation

Re: Tyre Rotation

T6 said:
Hi Guys,

Some silly questions here. My tyres have clocked 13,000 km. I know I am supposed to have them rotated at every 10,000 km but I juz got lazy and have not gotten down to doing that.

Now asking coz thinking of getting the tyres rotated before I head for Cameron with some of the guys here. Worried abt vibration after rotation.

Anyway, my question is this. Is tyre rotation juz a case of transferring the front tyres to the rear and vice-versa? If no other balancing required, I will juz head to my regular workshop, BVO to get it done.

If there is a chance that the car may, for want of words, "out of balance" and the car may vibrate at high speed, then I may wanna head to Stamford. Not sure if Stamford will do things any fifferent from non-tyre workshop though.

Any views guys? Thanks.

they will balance the back wheels and put them in front for FWD ... i presume for RWD, they will balance the front wheels ...

Bro....there is some debate on this.

Been asking around and even PML mentioned that there is no need to rotate for RWD cars, and on the web, I did find evidence that for BMWs there is no need to rotate...I wonder how true this is :verysad:

I was told for those who attended the recent Advanced Drivers' Training, the trainees were told that tire rotation is not a necessity as well.

KT said:
I was told for those who attended the recent Advanced Drivers' Training, the trainees were told that tire rotation is not a necessity as well.

Great, that will save me some moola and concern over high-speed vibration.

T6 said:
KT said:

In my manual it says that they don't recommend rotating the tyres probably the same in yours. The downside is that the rear may wear faster.
Cheers

Hi

I was advised by some of the bros here to rotate my tyres - I guess there are two schools of thought on this. Anyway, I rotated and balanced my tyres when I clocked 12000kms+ couple of months back. They rotated it crossways, ie front right to back left etc. I had it done in KL and then drove back to S'pore the next day. Had a smooth drive back, no problems with vibration.

cheers

Tanzy said:
g0yogi,

Why KL or all places?
Haha, I was there for track day...and the workshop I went to is pretty good. Also cheaper labour cost in M'sia. 8)

The reason why it's advised against tyre rotation (for BMW context) is that the front and the rear is running on different camber, with the front lesser than the rear...

Therefore having run for say 10k mileage, the tyre would have been rubbed in to the angle, which is why the inner edge wears more than the other edge for the rear tyre...

Imagine if u were to now swap the rear to the front, the car will literally be running tip toe until the tyre has been scrubbed to the angle again... This is definitely not a good thing esp immediately prior to a long journey since the contact area is not much lesser and in the midst of that, vibration might occur since the tyre is not running with the correct cg..

Tyre is the last thing u want to stinge on, especially in the wet and rubber compound would have hardened a considerable amount in 2 years even though there might be still thread left..... I would still suggest changing even when thread is abundant, given our tyre of weather here...

T6 said:
KT said:

Hi there,

Given with piggy advice.. i think one have to spend more instead of saving.....hur..hur.... :laughlik:

Cheers ya...

piggyboyz said:
...Therefore having run for say 10k mileage, the tyre would have been rubbed in to the angle, which is why the inner edge wears more than the other edge for the rear tyre...

Imagine if u were to now swap the rear to the front, the car will literally be running tip toe until the tyre has been scrubbed to the angle again... This is definitely not a good thing esp immediately prior to a long journey since the contact area is not much lesser and in the midst of that, vibration might occur since the tyre is not running with the correct cg.....

Agree, what if we swap @ lower milage say 5000 km ?

yes, if you want, just swap regularly at lower mileage. if you have passed high mileage before you suddenly decide to rotate, then the advice is Dont.

this is due to the negative camber wear reason given by piggy. not safe. should you rotate your fronts to your rears (for those on one-directional tyres, this is the only way without dismounting your tyres from your rims) you will be running on minimal contact patch at your front. Imagine you have a rainy day immediately after your tyre rotation, you will understeer straight into the wall. The problem is further augmented by those on lowered suspension (which applies to a lot of bros here), which makes your camber even more negative when lowered.

if not, for those on ultra high performance ZR rated tyres, by the time it's due for rotation, you'd have either worn out your tyres, or it's time to have them replaced. Since BMWs come with CSC tyres which are rated to be ultra high performance, there's really no need to rotate them.

On the other hand, I do rotate my tyres, and thats because i cheapskate. I need to swap the left from the right since pasir gudang and sepang are both clockwise tracks, and the left significantly wears more than my right. so lan lan.

If that's the case, we might as well have a staggered set up.... after all since we can't really rotate our tyres...........

If that's the case, we might as well have a staggered set up.... after all since we can't really rotate our tyres...........

That's probably why PML sells their cars with staggered setup.

Doesn't benefit them what. It's not as though we buy tires from them.

jaskin said:
You'll be surprised......There are suckers out there who actually buy tyres from PML.

:whattheh:

lol, they are either uninformed. Or too rich... I need a god-father like that. :)

jaskin said:

I think it's more a case of them making a bold statement that when it comes to BMW, rotation is probably the last thing on their mind. :screwedu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
igo88app
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back