Upgrade to 18" rims???

yslim26

Hi guys,

Just bought a 520. Thinking of upgrading the stock 16" rims to original 18" rims (124 type). However, my bro told me not to as it's going to be noisy. Is he right? Kindly advise. :)

He is right to a certain extent because upgrading to 18" rims usually means upgrading to lower profile performance tyres. Performance tyres will be noisier and less comfortable than the 16" tyres you are on now. There are an alternatives, you can try Yokohama C-drive or Pirelli Dragon since these are 'soft tune' tyres which are more comfort oriented or if you have the dosh, spill it on Michelin PS2. You'll get high performance with decent levels of noise.

Hi yslim26,

I'm using 124 rims on my E60. I'll say the noise is not too bad, and for my ride anyway, it's mostly due to the runflat Dunlops which are crap. When my car was new, it was very quiet, and it's only now after about 10K km, that these runflats start to get real noisy.

The 124s look much better than the stock 16inchers, I think if you go with "soft tune" tyres as Tanzy suggested, you won't be too bothered by noise since the E60's noise insulation is pretty good.

But be prepared for a slightly firmer ride from the 18inchers...and avoid runflats if you can.

Re: Upgrade to 18" rims???

The added bling and improved lateral traction from 18 inch rims and tyres will more than offset the minimal increase in road noise. You may want to scout around and look at aftermarket brands like AC Schnizter, Hamann, and BBS before deciding. Most of the forumers here like their rims >= 18 inch and laced with PS2s, CSC2s, Pirellis or Bridgestone SO3s.

Hi Eggz,

Runflats truly suck. They are the number one reason why the stock Z4 consistently underperforms its competitors like the SLK in the handling department.

Remus325,

Fifth Gear concluded that the Z4 is on par with the the latest Boxster in handling on the track. The Z4 tested was on 17" RFTs. Definitely will outhandle any SLK.

The new generation RFTs coming with the E90 are suppose to be much better but a close to $800 per tyre, it is insane to use them.

yslim26 said:
Hi guys,

Just bought a 520. Thinking of upgrading the stock 16" rims to original 18" rims (124 type). However, my bro told me not to as it's going to be noisy. Is he right? Kindly advise. :)

I changed my stock rims from 18" to 20".. No problem in terms of noise... U might even one to change to 19"... It will look fierce on your 5. Take your time to scout ard than decide.. Do come to the end mth meetup and see some of the bros nicely moded 5..... U shld take a look at BMWorld's fully AC kitted 5... Chio Chio!! AC boy,Gabey, Arsernal62, T6 r all 5 owners..... :thumbsup:

Tanzy said:
Remus325,

Fifth Gear concluded that the Z4 is on par with the the latest Boxster in handling on the track. The Z4 tested was on 17" RFTs. Definitely will outhandle any SLK.

The new generation RFTs coming with the E90 are suppose to be much better but a close to $800 per tyre, it is insane to use them.

Hey Tanzy, are you using runflats on your Z4? your traction out of the corners at Sepang was really good. I was really struggling out of the slower corners.

eggz,

I dumped the RFT a few days after I got them. My car was using Yokohama AD07 for Sepang. Good track tires but not semi-slicks yet. Lots of Evos use it. Performed very well. When I was on PS2, the tires faded after 10 hot laps. With the AD07, I was well into my 12th lap when the brakes faded whilst the tyre was still up to the job. I was consistently braking later with less ABS intervention on the AD07 than PS2.

Hymics said:
Do come to the end mth meetup and see some of the bros nicely moded 5..... U shld take a look at BMWorld's fully AC kitted 5... Chio Chio!! AC boy,Gabey, Arsernal62, T6 r all 5 owners..... :thumbsup:

Dan, except for BMWorld, we all driving e39s lah. I think yslim might be driving the e60. ;)

yslim26,

Most (not all) rims upgrade are for aesthetic reasons - especially in sizes. So, there will be a compromise of ride comfort, loss of low end-torque, and perhaps noises from the tyres. Mod based on your objective.

Incidentally, there is a set of used 18" Hamann PGIIs sitting in BVO right now. Polished lip. Deep dish. Meant for E39 and E60. Not vested. Just happened to see them lying around on Saturday.

kenntona said:
yslim26,
Incidentally, there is a set of used 18" Hamann PGIIs sitting in BVO right now. Polished lip. Deep dish. Meant for E39 and E60. Not vested. Just happened to see them lying around on Saturday.

wah, calling JHLim, mai tu liao. PGIIs hard to come by.

Hi Kenntona,

Thanks for the sound advise. I'm not really a cheongster and can't really bear to splurge on moding purely for asthetical reasons. Would rather go for more practical purposes such as increasing torque or reducing heat. Might opt to use the $ for V-cool instead.

Best regards. ;)

Tanzy said:
Remus325,

Tanzy

That is strange. According to the Autocar mag Feb 2005 issue, "The instant you set off in the Z4 numerous issues become apparent, many of which simply aren't in the porsche. Or the mercedes. For a start there's a nasty shudder through the frame whenever you run over anything more prominent than a fag butt; the others simply don't suffer from as much shake over the same roads. ... the ride (and this is the really surprising bit) is instantly harder and more figety than the porsche's, let along the SLK's, which is in a different league again. Finally, the rear end also feels livelier and less well tied down than you expect from a contemporary BMW, again with the result that you lose confidence in the car if you try to drive it at all rapidly over a road that's not perfectly surfaced or cambered" - comparison between Z4 3L, SLK 350, and 2005 Boxster.

Also in the road and track 2005 comparison tests for sports cars the subjective handling ratings for the Z4 3L, SLK 350 and Boxster S are

Z4 14.7
SLK 14.9
Box 19

The slalom and skid pad scores are

slalom skid pad
Z4 27.4 26.8
SLK 27.8 26.5
Box 30.0 29.1

see http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=1949&page_number=14

The Z4 performs worst in both the subjective handling and slalom depts. I understand that the mid engine design confers significant handling advantages to the box. But the really surprising thing is how the Z4 handles relative to the new SLK. I like to believe that it is all due to the poor performance of the run flats :(

What is your experience with and without the run flats on the Z4?

yslim26 said:
Hi guys,

Congrats on yr new ride!
Know one chap did exactly that. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=334&st=2370&#entry110771

Going from 16" to 18" will give you harsher ride. I have dumped my end of life runflats for Pirelli P-Zero. Less harsh than run flats and of course less crispy steering feel now.

Drove a loaner 520i from PML for a week, the 16" tyre set up actually rode smoother and more comfortable than my 18" set up.

Remus325,

That will depend on whether the traction control was switched off or not. You can download that 1st Episode Season 7 of Fifth Gear from http://www.finalgear.com to watch. Traction control for both the Boxster and Z4 was switched off and they were capable of tailing each other through the entire track. The Z4 is indeed a tail happy car. I translate that as fun and having gotten used to it. I enjoy drifting when ever I get a chance to safely do so. The problem with the SLK is that the traction control can never be totally switched off and that affects lap times and track fun. I guess most SLK will never see the track anyway so no big deal.

The RFT that came with the car were 17" Bridgestone RE050* tyres. Weighed like cement, rides like cement. Ditched it for PS2 and the ride improved tremendously with the car felt so much lighter. There was a decrease in unsprung weight by 16kg when switching to normal tyres!!! I carry tyre foam with me all the time.

Since we're on runflats.

I was quite aggressive at last Friday's track day and in my last few runs, I was getting more understeer.

My Dunlops RFTs are starting to crap out, the thread is there, but I think the heat from the earlier runs is causing the rubber to be less grippy somehow, the steering is starting to feel a bit more "loose" during cornering...

Zag, how much did you pay for your P-Zeros?

eggz said:
Since we're on runflats.

I was quite aggressive at last Friday's track day and in my last few runs, I was getting more understeer.

My Dunlops RFTs are starting to crap out, the thread is there, but I think the heat from the earlier runs is causing the rubber to be less grippy somehow, the steering is starting to feel a bit more "loose" during cornering...

Zag, how much did you pay for your P-Zeros?

$460 a piece, mine is the Rosso. Go for P Zero Nero, let me know how good it is. Pilot Sport S1 is supposed to be better. I kinda missed the sharp steering feel from the crappy runflats though still.

You tracked again last week.. Hm.. addicted oredi hor!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back