Urgh... Engine malfunction

pengful

My car threw up an engine malfunction light this morning and left me wondering if I should call PML or our sponsor workshops. Car is not drivable as it had lost all power and can only hog along.

Finally decided to call PML's emergency service since wife felt more comfortable and the last thing I wanted is a fight. Let's see what PML can find out and will update this thread. :(

Re: Urgh... Engine malfunction

sorry to hear that but you made a wise decision on "the last thing i wanted is a fight"
let's see what are pml findings

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry to hear that pal.
Not to worry, it could be minor issues like fan belt needs replacing or a leaking hose.
Think u made the right choice in your given scenario.
As much as we think that the ppl in PML are incompetent fools, as reflected in some of the incidents so sensationalized in our forum, but on the big scheme of things, I would like to think most times they are alright.
Be cool and I'm sure everything will be well.

Hmmm... The ride in the tow truck wasn't so bad. Got to leave the car there.

take care bro! hope the damage is not big!...... time for a change>

wondering the error message you had is persistent upon restart of the engine?
sometime i feel the ECU and AI in the bimmer is too smart for themselves.. and most of the time false alarm..
anyway good luck with your ride. it is always safe to call pml when this thing chimed up especially under warranty. otherwise they say VOID coz you don't pay heed to this message therefore serious damage. Duh!

zag;605198 said:
wondering the error message you had is persistent upon restart of the engine?
sometime i feel the ECU and AI in the bimmer is too smart for themselves.. and most of the time false alarm..
anyway good luck with your ride. it is always safe to call pml when this thing chimed up especially under warranty. otherwise they say VOID coz you don't pay heed to this message therefore serious damage. Duh!

I would like to think that way so I restarted a few times and had hoped that the warning sign will just go away but it didn't.

What happened was:
06:30 - 06:50: Sent daughter to school. Everything was normal.
06:55: Parked car and went upstairs for breakfast.
07:35: Ready to go to work and voila! the engine malfunction sign.

I have never had this before so it was a surprise. My ride is already out of warranty and can only hope that the damage won't be too big for my pocket. Wish me luck.

Good luck pengful. Hope it's just a small matter. Important thing is u and family is fine and healthy; could be a blessing that car did not break down on highway....mobey can be earn back.....

pengful;605133 said:
My car threw up an engine malfunction light this morning and left me wondering if I should call PML or our sponsor workshops. Car is not drivable as it had lost all power and can only hog along.

Finally decided to call PML's emergency service since wife felt more comfortable and the last thing I wanted is a fight. Let's see what PML can find out and will update this thread. :(

Had a similar experience once on ECP.. stop the car. Restart and continue driving for a couple of times..but the engine malfunction light kept appearing..no choice,activated the PML emergency service.. Car was towed back. They found out that it was a faulty camshaft.. got it replaced. :juggle:

Was advised that the valvetronic motor needs to be replaced. Damage abt 1.2k. Is this price reasonable or I robert liao?

pengful;605319 said:
Was advised that the valvetronic motor needs to be replaced. Damage abt 1.2k. Is this price reasonable or I robert liao?

I got 30% disc voucher. Can use? If can, you want?

gr8golf88;605354 said:
I got 30% disc voucher. Can use? If can, you want?

Yes of course. Can try to use and if cannot, return to you ok? Will pm you for contact details. Thanks buddy.

pengful;605319 said:

Hi pengful, sorry to know bout e issue ~~ heart pain sia ~~~

Will PML still do for you if u get the valvetronic motor from stockist (eg: Eng Soon) ?? Can consider as will save a fairbit..

Hope all goes well for u ~~~

tomace;605400 said:
Hi pengful, sorry to know bout e issue ~~ heart pain sia ~~~

Will PML still do for you if u get the valvetronic motor from stockist (eg: Eng Soon) ?? Can consider as will save a fairbit..

Hope all goes well for u ~~~

Did not consider doing this. Very troublesome.

Ok, guys, update time.

Got my car back today in spick and span condition. Total damage $1,076.75 incl GST.
Breakdown:
1) Replace actuator for eccentric (I like the description) shaft, WT servomotor, profile gasket, seal flange, hose clip and some testing and checking - $885.31
2) Programming/ encoding control unit, quick delete, initialise tyre fail indicator and power windows, adjusting steering angle sensor and battery reset - $121.00
3) Car wash and vacuum - FOC
4) Towing - FOC

Warranty of the motor is 2 years, which I think is great.

I must thank gr8golf88 for letting me use his 30% discount accessories voucher. Unfortunately, it cannot be used as it was meant only for accessories. Nonetheless, I am very grateful for his kind gesture.

Whats the mileage of the car when this servomotor fails?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kagarccom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back