Valvetronic engine not so conducive for S'pore climate

Re: Valvetronic engine not so conducive for S'pore climate

Credentials of that "CERTAIN workshop"?

One of the listed workshop featured & is a site sponsor.

That narrows it down to 3 or so...

foochoon said:
One of the listed workshop featured & is a site sponsor.

I hate to guess.. tell us who leh.

Well, wotever it is.....we havent seen a major issue with regard to Valvetronic engine since the launch.

Sophisticated manufacturers usually do take into consideration the suitability of their export models for different climate. Probably not so much on the hardwares themselves but definitely on the E.C.U of the cars.
Eg, The cars sold in the Middle East are not the same as the cars sold in North America.

I think Valvetronic engine is a great technology,...very fuel efficient...just that it's hard to mod (at least up until now)..... I guess that's why the workshop anyhow made an allegation bout the engine coz the person who said it doesn't know how to make the most of it hahaha....

hmmm, isn't janson having a huge problem with his e90 valvetronic?

Who is Janson? and wot problem is his ride having?

saifywaify said:
hmmm, isn't janson having a huge problem with his e90 valvetronic?

Whether janson huge problem is becuase of valvetronic or not ..1 thing for sure, PML cnt solve his problem.. so the huge problem is PML.

TripleM said:
Who is Janson? and wot problem is his ride having?

Pak, he is the poor guy that started the thread "1 day e90".. in and out of PML for kopi and still, useless PML cnt solve his problem.

Ok thanks info bro....
Hope it's all sorted now..

TripleM said:
Ok thanks info bro....
Hope it's all sorted now..

i'm coming down with janson to the sunday meet.. you can ask him questions then :p riot against PML if you like.

we're both first timers. treat us nicely ok? haha..

foochoon said:
Heard from certain workshop that the face lifted 318i with valvetrnoic is not so reliable. Anybody can advice?
Valvetronic not reliable in what area? You mean all inline 6 are problem free? :ehhh:

The Valvetronic problems encountered in Singapore are mainly associated with the electric stepper motors (that drive the infinitely variable cam / valve lift and timing) and/or ECU. This is from a person I know in PML's workshop.

Imagine ... individual small stepper motors, each driving the set of inlet valves for each cylinder. Whether 4 or 6 in a row ... anyone of these can and will malfunction in time ... tropical climate, humidity, condensation, rust etc. do not help at all.

Consider this analogy: stepper motors also used in dot-matrix printers. Put any one of these in a hot and humid engine bay environment ... how long can the printers last? May work well initiallly, perhaps for the first x years ...

Sorry to sound a little corny but stepper motors drive all sorts of things in the manufacturing world. The BM engine uses 1x large motor to drive a shaft which turns the fulcrum point of the intake valve lifters. There are no small stepper motors involved. With regards to the hot and humid enviroments, the motor works inside the engine and is lubricated by the engine oil. The heat would have definitely been considered when they specced the motors. As with all new and emerging technologies, there will be some teething problems to solve and of course the agent is liable to uphold the warranty. The size of the motor is about a tennis ball.

So putting the consideration of PML's competance aside, i think the problems seen are just freaks of manufacturing. I can understand when you buy a lemon of a car but overall i think the car is very well made. The local issue is with the agent, the way they spec their cars and the Quality of service.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Who say valvatronic not reliable, if that's the case which idiot will put this technology in all of the engines and then to bring upon themselves plenty of complaints? USe your brain use ur brain.... sigh....

if every valve has a motor then wouldnt it totally negate the need for a camshaft.

so far my 318 ok for 3.5 yrs except for 1 time cam shaft sensor kaput. some bros had problems with their ignition coils burn out.

actually mythos, many times, car manufacturers do make mistakes. thats why you have recalls.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7clubcomde

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back