Vote for your pesident on 27th of aug

blackknight88

SINGAPORE: Singaporeans will go to the polls on August 27 if there's a contest for the Presidential Election.

The Writ of Election, naming August 17 as Nomination Day for the Presidential Election, was issued by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday.

The Nomination Centre will be at People's Association at King George's Avenue.

President SR Nathan, has said he won't be contesting the election after serving two six-year terms.

But five potential candidates have indicated their interest.

Four of them - former Deputy Prime Minister Dr Tony Tan, former Ayer Rajah MP Dr Tan Cheng Bock, former NTUC Income chief, Tan Kin Lian and former opposition member Tan Jee Say - have submitted their applications for a Certificate of Eligibility to contest the election.

One other - Andrew Kuan - has collected the forms.

But more candidates could still come forward, as those interested have another three days till August 6 to submit their application forms.

The Presidential Elections Committee will assess their applications and issue certificates to those it judges to be of integrity, good character and reputation, with the necessary experience for the post of Elected President.

This includes executive and financial experience in government or a statutory board or a company worth at least S$100 million, for at least three years.

Nomination papers for the Presidential Election are now available for collection at the Elections Department during normal office hours, until Nomination Day on August 17.

Aside from the Certificate of Eligibility, which says candidates qualified to contest the polls have to submit a deposit of S$48,000 either at the Accountant-General's Department in High Street, or at the Nomination Centre on Nomination Day.

A Political Donation Certificate issued by the Registrar of Political Donations is also needed.

This is required under the Political Donation Act which seeks to prevent foreigners from interfering in Singapore's domestic politics through funding of candidates and political associations.

Under the Act, political associations and election candidates are not allowed to accept donations except from permissible donors, and the receipt of anonymous donations is restricted to less than S$5,000 in total per reporting period.

Application for the Political Donation Certificate has to be made by submitting, in person or through an authorised representative, a pre-election donation report and a pre-election declaration to the Registrar of Political Donations at the Elections Department.

The deadline for this is 1pm on August 13.

The Returning Officer for the Presidential Election is Mr Yam Ah Mee, the Chief Executive Director of the People's Association.

Mr Yam was also the Returning Officer for the May 2011 General Election.

- CNA /ls

Re: Vote for your pesident on 27th of aug

Woohoo... hope there will be a contest... so i can see Yam Ah Mee deliver the results again :lol:

Based on statistics, Mr Tan has 80% of winning chances, Mr Kuan 20%. This statistical study has not factored in popularity factors.

Nicole Seah asks Singaporeans to vote for Tan J S, I'll vote for Nicole.

What if not in town?

Serve some jail time and u can vote 5 yrs later

Still can vote meh?

Carcinogenic;669874 said:
Still can vote meh?

You have to declare yourself as an overseas elector. Go to Singapore Elections Department to apply.

I've applied to be an overseas elector but I'm travelling out of that resident country to another country to work on that day. Gonna miss this election again!! :furious:

wt_know;669877 said:
got aljunied & hougang type of rally or not ? :D
U miss Glenda Han right? Naughty boy.

Got dif mei? Waste time!

My hdb block, only 1 singapore flag seen. Maybe the rest all FTs?

Singapore today is very dif fr the one i grew up 30 plus yrs ago.

Actually, post election synopsis, I am not sure if FTs are all that bad.......

I mean, when I was young, I was told to study hard so that I will not need to clear waste and sweep the streets......

When I grew up, I realised no one will take up those jobs. It will be a dilemma between seeing a local uncle or auntie cleaning up tables and doing jobs that WE don't wanna do, versus seeing FTs assuming those roles. Which is a more pathetic state of affairs?

Without the banglas, I am not sure how are buildings constructed here.

Moving up the curves, we wanna eat xiao long bao but we don't want dumpling masters from China.....

On the high-skilled talent front, I am not sure if we could even provide the huge pool of IT talents from India working in Citibank, for instance.....

And of course, Sar Lau.... but that's another topic altogether.....

kenntona;669930 said:
I mean, when I was young, I was told to study hard so that I will not need to clear waste and sweep the streets......

When I grew up, I realised no one will take up those jobs. It will be a dilemma between seeing a local uncle or auntie cleaning up tables and doing jobs that WE don't wanna do, versus seeing FTs assuming those roles. Which is a more pathetic state of affairs?

Moving up the curves, we wanna eat xiao long bao but we don't want dumpling masters from China.....

On the high-skilled talent front, I am not sure if we could even provide the huge pool of IT talents from India working in Citibank, for instance.....

I think the resentment towards the blue collared foreigners stems not from their jobs but from the general xenophobia of having too many foreigners and the cultural antics they bring to sg. This is made worse due to the higher crime rates we have observed as of recent.

For the white collar workers, FTs are willing to undercut locals anytime. Business owners naturally have to examine things from cost overheads perspective. Therefore I also feel singaporean employers have a part in this too. Whether FT perform better or worse on the job than singaporeans is of course another story.

kenntona;669930 said:

And of course, Sar Lau.... but that's another topic altogether.....

I think most S'poreans aren't xenophobic by nature. I reckon it's more of a case of the following:

1. The huge influx of foreigners have caused a strain on local infrastructure like housing/transport. The ministries are apparently not talking to each other and making provisions to cater to the big boom in population.

2. Foreigners are competing with S'poreans for jobs which S'poreans have the skill sets and willingness to perform. Salary-wise, many foreigners are willing to take less pay for the same job partly bcoz they can afford to (referring to semi-skilled jobs here, for executive posts, foreigners tend to get a better package). They rough it out for a few yrs and bring the $ back to their home country and lead a comfy life. S'poreans on the other hand, will have a tougher time making ends meet on the same salary as they don't have a home country to go back to, S'pore is their home country. This point, of course, is debatable.

Regarding your point on 'seeing a local uncle or auntie cleaning up tables and doing jobs that WE don't wanna do, versus seeing FTs assuming those roles. Which is a more pathetic state of affairs?" it's actually a catch 22 situation.

These uncles/aunties in their 70s are usually uneducated and have minimal savings so they need to work. However, competition from foreigners push the pay-scale for such jobs very low, so these uncles/aunties have to work on those terms, if not lower. They still need the job, bcoz the State isn't going to take care of them and most of them don't want charity and just wanna live and work with dignity.

Personally, i wouldnt mind paying a few percentage points more in taxes if the State can help take care of our old better but that's just me :) This being said, the population is getting heavier at the "aged" end due to the population policy of the 1970s so the problem will get worse but I'm not sure if importing immigrants is the best way to go.

Sorry for the OT since all the above has nothing to do with the PE :offtopic: :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back