Ways to get started on motorsport?

Xavina

So...how do young petrolheads get involved in Singapore's motorsport world? Or if there is any :p

Are there any events to fuel the passion? :p

Re: Ways to get started on motorsport?

just in case you're still in the mood for motorsports, i heard that mobil1's latest contest is sending people on an all expenses paid trip to learn how to drive an F1 car. you might want to have a look at this website -->WILL YOU BE THE ONE?

no harm registering and trying your luck :)

there are outfits that i know of, who will organise a road circuit for anyone keen enough, but subject to SMSA regulations (which means helmets and fire suits i think.. correct me, the more seasoned motorheads around?).. i worked with one of these guys over the recent SGP F1, and got round to talking/lamenting about tragic state of motor sports in sg..etc.. his outfit's also organising the mettle Games i think...

if there is interest, i can make a few enquiries...

but seriously, LTA clamps down on mods, SMSA has strict "regulations" (firesuits..???) and COE prices are skyhigh..where the hell does that leave motorsports in SG?..probably up north in Plentong...MIMC malacca...:)... sigh... all these seem to put motorsports out of the reach of the average car owner....

but seriously, LTA clamps down on mods, SMSA has strict "regulations" (firesuits..???) and COE prices are skyhigh..where the hell does that leave motorsports in SG?..probably up north in Plentong...MIMC malacca...:)... sigh... all these seem to put motorsports out of the reach of the average car owner....
There are many motorsport options in Malaysia and Singapore, that are within reach of the average car owner and even non owners. The problem is that almost everyone wants to get into only the good looking, good sounding forms of motorsport which almost always are the very expensive ones. Ironically, because of the high costs and limited field, the level of competition is lower than many other cheaper forms of motorsport. It's also no good sitting around waiting for a perfect track and perfect support and situation to start. If the few small inconveniences are enough to dissuade one from participating, then even if later on things are perfect, he's not going to do well at it at all because the passion for it was never there to start with.

There are cheap touring car options in Malaysia (look around online, talk to the track operators at PG, SIC), and karting is everywhere, including Singapore which has its own challenging track . In terms of physical and mental challenge, racecraft, level and big enough field, and quality of competition, even internationally, nothing beats karts except the very top 8 - 10 Formula and Prototype based forms of racing, all beyond F3. The other 30-40 lower forms are not as taxing, and not as cheap (4 to 50 times more expensive) or convenient to do.

In terms of true passion for driving and racing, attitude of self sufficiency, open learning and teaching, hands on, practical, logical, helping out for absolutely nothing and with no hope of anything in return, minimal ego, and always having a good time, I haven't met better people outside of karting. This is across 10 years in 5 countries. It's what makes karting truly great.

In the local context alone, there are 55 year old uncles and 11 year old girls who don't know/care about all the typical poser type stuff. They don't care what latest models coming from the exotic car companies are, don't know what top gear is, don't care about this and that exhaust system or V10, V12 engine note blah blah, etc. but who will outdrive literally 99+ percent of all sport drivers here.

Think of 5-10 biggest names in racing in Singapore, car wise. There are at least 5 relatively unknown names and faces in the karting scene who will beat all of them. Indeed some already have (same session, same equipment). There are another 8 who have/will match(ed) the big names. And a solid 10 right on their heels. And you can drive with (or against) all these guys, learn from them, trade tips, have great fun doing it all, for 1/4 to 1/50 the cost of other forms of local motorsport.

super info. i think Shaun here is actively involved in motorsports.

sounds interesting, Shaun. Perhaps you could show some direction to get involved in such events (karting, cheap touring car). Finding resources on motorsport events in singapore is really like finding a needle in a haystack.

First step is to go to where motorsport takes place - tracks.

Kartright Speedway in Singapore (kart)
Plentong in JB (kart)
Pasir Gudang in JB (car)
Sepang Circuit (car and kart)
etc.

Go with your friends and talk to the track operators about race series' to get into and costs. Specify cheap if you're looking for cheap series' to get into. Don't just take anyone's word (including mine) for it.

===

Clubman Cup at PG in converted Protons has been running for over 10 years I believe.. 5K SGD to get into in a freshly converted car, cage, and all. A complete season probably no more than 10K SGD. Close wheel to wheel racing, and a challenge to handle. There are also some good drivers in this. Friends and I almost got into this about 9 years ago before discovering karts. Karts are more expensive than this, but more convenient, and much more of a physical and mental challenge.

There's also the Malaysian Super Series at SIC you can do in higher spec Protons and Hondas that are pretty quick in the low 2:20s. Some good drivers too. A full season roughly 60K SGD. Not that cheap.. still prefer karting.

The S1K and MME endurance races.. range 10 - 40K for a seat (shared with 2 other drivers) in a single 9 - 12 hour race. Not cheap considering it's a single race. Race outcome highly dependent on quality of pitwork, reliability of car, range of spares at the ready. With only 1 or 2 races a year, luck has the potential to take a win away, or hand you a win. For the money, would prefer to let good and bad luck cancel out somewhat and do a full 5 rounds of Super Series listed above. Less established endurance racing races or classes are good for the experience and camaraderie, smooth driving for conservation, but IMO not a place to develop outright speed or consistency at outright speed as is the case with sprint forms of racing including karts.

Karting ranges from 15 - 35K a year depending if you do it just for fun and unofficial races in cheaper equipment, or top level equipment and all 5 rounds of the Singapore championship. If you include regional championships like RMC and AKOC, good crew, all that training and travel, up in the 6 digits a year. But that would be a total of a combined 15 race weekend, so if you're a really good driver, luck largely cancels out and your standing is direct proof of quality. The other difference is you get to drive against some wicked quick and consistent drivers, and a uniquely large proportion of them vs other cheaper car series'. Also, you're dealing with forces 2 - 3 times greater and at a frequency 3 - 5 times higher, than in any of the forms of racing listed above - and in less comfort. Everything is more raw - the driver is the brake bias, ABS, and DSC.

Time attacks, very cheap to enter the races, but most of them are not wheel to wheel. Very small fields, rules which are too free, not ensuring hardware parity. Generally low quality drivers that have just stepped up from open trackdays using roadcars. But racing registered road cars doesn't make much sense IMO.. esp SG road regd ones.

At separate times, I have heard around 5 arguments against the views listed above, from people who have never karted before, or never been close to ballpark quick in karts. None of them make any sense and as a result they're never mentioned publicly. This thread is as good as any for them to be posted so maybe a conclusion can be drawn after discussion. So other views are welcome.

I've brought a number of GT and touring car, endurance racers to try out racekarts and all of them suffer just like any other decent driver. Even formula car drivers out of practice and our of shape still suffer.

===

Can't think of any cheaper forms of motorsport involving typical 4 wheels on tarmac. Junior formula and GT car are all into the 6 figures.

This is all very rough. Plan to write a proper article soon and attach data to prove points listed earlier.

Shaun;584153 said:
the driver is the brake bias, ABS, and DSC.

+1000000 !!

most advanced brake bias system in the world - THE DRIVER.

This is wat sports driving is all about, leave the electronics for daily commuting to deal with bad road conditions AND other cock-a-poos on the street.
Electronics will only help to mask our bad driving habits .. never help us to drive better.

Last edited by a moderator:

powersteer;584214 said:
+1000000 !!

most advanced brake bias system in the world - THE DRIVER.

This is wat sports driving is all about, leave the electronics for daily commuting to deal with bad road conditions AND other cock-a-poos on the street.
Electronics will only help to mask our bad driving habits .. never help us to drive better.

Kart driver is... ABS, traction control, stability control, infinitely adjustable brake bias-er, 50% total mass dynamic ballast... and in the case of some in shifter karts - rev matcher.

====

So Raiden... when are you starting? :D

Oh Raiden, where have you disappeared to? lol
====

Sorry the video doesn't include Jeremy Clarkson. His obese poser smartass wouldn't fit in a kart and he couldn't drive within 30 minutes of either of the two drivers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKujUWAHM4]YouTube - Go Karts Fifth Gear[/ame]

Aye i'm still here! haha. I've been meaning to check out the karting scene in singapore. But there's not really much hard advertising or organization i can look to. And apparently the singapore karting forum is like a ghost town. basically now i might need someone to show me wheres all da happening stuff goin on ah hahaha

So technically speaking, if i want to get my fix for karting in singapore, kartright is the only way to go in singapore? Shaun, are you a regular there?

karting where got ghost town? kartright at jurong is always open...:D

Raiden,

The kart track is far from a ghost town on trackdays. join us mate!

powersteer;593302 said:
Raiden,

The kart track is far from a ghost town on trackdays. join us mate!
sounds exciting! when does the trackday occur?

i would gladly join you guys hahaha

Great! You all are welcome to join ryan, kelvin, jason, desmond, myself, and a few other friends whenever we're there, which is often. I've PMed both of you our contact.

Just realize that you can't really get good flow or speed if you don't kart regularly cos of the fitness element and it's even if you're gym fit or running-fit, it still doesn't translate entirely to karting cos of the different muscles used. But of course being gym fit or running fit helps a great deal still.. estimate a good 80% easier vs zero state fitness.
And if you kart regularly say at least once a month it works out to about as expensive as attending 12 car-trackdays at Sepang per year in your car
Even if you half the karting frequency to once every two weeks, it's still like 6 trackdays at Sepang.
This excludes the cost of the kart and safety equipment itself to get started ( 8 - 25K in total)
The positive is that the driving is much more intense (3 - 5 times more).. excellent training for the mind and body, you meet some really passionate drivers (instead of the dime a dozen car / car part fetishists) and you save tons of time on the damned 6 hour round trip to Sepang and the fatigue from it, mileage and wear and tear on your precious road car. You're also not risking much money on track if somehow the thing gets totalled (vs road car, esp expensive road car at Sepang not covered by insurance)

Lester, Mark, Arthur,

Tomorrow (Sunday) Ryan, Kelvin, Desmond, and I, along with a few other friends not on the forum, will be running the morning and afternoon racekart sessions tomorrow (Sunday).

There are 2 rental kart sessions right next to the racekart sessions and if you guys want to run those, we might be able to join you guys in those.. maybe have our own grid hahah. The rental kart window is from 12 noon - 2pm, and from 5pm - 7pm so pick one and come along ok? See ya

Lester.. it's waiting for you.... KF1... KF2...

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777vinname

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups