What Car Alarm You Use?

Mark_Twain

Hi Pals,

I'm new to the forum as I have just collected my 523i.

Just wish to find out from all of the experienced bimmers what car alarm systems are installed in your BMWs and any recommendations where and what models to install into my new car?

I heard that there are some models which can use the existing central locking function so no need to carry another unlocking "key".

Any advice for the newbee?

Thanks advance for any helpful pals here!

Re: What Car Alarm You Use?

welcome to the forum. congrats on the 523i.
i dun think many bmws fit third party alarms.

I would say that the original anti theft and security features in built would negate the need for an aftermarket alarm, especially in a place like sg...

Thanks a lot for all your advice!

Have asked around some popular workshops and most of them are not 100% familiar with the installation, including PML (PML need to place order and installation takes a few days, while PL said will take half a day and "should be able" to install).

Guess will keep it simple and be contented with the current state.

Thanks again! BTW, really enjoyed reading the views and info posted by all the experienced guys like yourselves!

Mark_Twain;67624 said:
Thanks a lot for all your advice!

Have asked around some popular workshops and most of them are not 100% familiar with the installation, including PML (PML need to place order and installation takes a few days, while PL said will take half a day and "should be able" to install).

Guess will keep it simple and be contented with the current state.

Thanks again! BTW, really enjoyed reading the views and info posted by all the experienced guys like yourselves!

Rather than start a new thread on this same topic, I'll just "revive" this one with a similar question to the OP - which alarm do you use? Just need a basic one for my old 318is - to deter the casual thief. If they want to tow the thing away, c'est la vie.

So I'd appreciate a recommendation on 1) type of aftermarket alarm to fit, and 2) where to fit it. Many thanks guys.

PS: Being an ang moh, I don't wanna just cruise around the workshops asking questions - its like wearing a sign saying "fleece me" :)

hi Nick, have you already got your lead? already installed? if not, here it goes:
E36 can be fitted with almost any aftermarket products like Crimestopper, Viper etc. Look for an experienced one who won't screw you up. pm me if u need any reco. Cheers!

richlee7;164142 said:
hi Nick, have you already got your lead? already installed? if not, here it goes:
E36 can be fitted with almost any aftermarket products like Crimestopper, Viper etc. Look for an experienced one who won't screw you up. pm me if u need any reco. Cheers!

Thanks man. Have cruised a few workshops, shortlisted a few - but yet to put my money on the table. Have encountered just those you recommend - Viper, Crimestopper. Also found Clifford, very good model from UK - but also very expensive.

I shall PM you... Thanks for the reply & offer of help - appreciated :)

Well, if you are driving in Singapore, I think you don't really need a alarm system. Singapore is generally a safe place. The coded car keys and central locking system that comes in the later models should pose more than enough problem for would-be thief to break in. A CSE told me that once there was a E46 owner came to the PML wksp. The owner then accidentally left his key locked in it. With all available tools & "experts" around, still they had a hard time to figuring out a process in opening the door to retrieve the keys for the owner. So, you can imagine the complexities in the BMW anti-theft system …
My opinion is that car alarm system is mostly useless. Alarm is more of a deterrence. It does not quite protect your car as most car thief comes to tow it away anyway..

Singapore Brummie;164248 said:
Save your money Nick.

Even if the alarm goes off, nobody cares.

Worst still...you might find your car vandalised next day because of the nuisance caused by your alarm. ( be it false alarm or true).

Don't forget that singapore is a densely populated place and hundreds of people, if not thousands, will be affected if your alarm goes of in the night.

But if a car is being towed and at the same time its lights are flashing, this will definitely attract a lot of interest..... and if the police see this....... it might actually stop a potential theft...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reality18
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back