What is this sign - Gear with !

AdrianNg

Was driving and this sign came out and car lost power .car was tow back to performance . Any idea what was the issue?

Re: What is this sign - Gear with ! in the centre

ITs a very generic sign. in the manual it simply means something is wrong with the engine, car will be run in reduced power mode.

Re: What is this sign - Gear with !

Yup got that sign once, get ready the cheque book

I think should be still under warranty.... so can save one chit on the cheque book lol..

any mods = warranty void. pml can cook up the strangest and weirdest excuses to worm their way out of paying.

engine check light on, switch off, wait a while, turn on, if nothing, continue driving lor. :)

is the fuel in reserve? it could happen if u go less than 20km range left..?

happened when my alternator broke down..batt light came on first then all other lights then engine loss power..

AdrianNg;476700 said:
Was driving and this sign came out and car lost power .car was tow back to performance . Any idea what was the issue?

You must have either:
(1) Floored your accelerator (pedal-to-metal) launching from stationary
(2) Floored your accelerator (pedal-to-metal) while on the move, racing with another car and negotiated a bend

Either way, its the auto transmission hiccup - at high RPM and will force you immediately on 'Safe Mode', and orange gear sign with '!' appears. If yours has x-Drive, the 4x4 with circular arrow will also appear. Your car will lose power and start to crawl.

Remedy: Don't push the car any more. You have just lost the race with the other car. Just slow down to a safe area and switch off engine. Wait a couple of minutes, restart and all alarms would have disappeared. Continue driving.

And if you bring your car to PML, they will say nothing is wrong. To continue to monitor on your own. So LL you drive your car out.

Moral of the story: Unless your autotrans is of the ZF make, most of the entry-level BMW models now (be it E90, E60 up to 325/525 etc.) use the lower-cost, lower-spec, OEM gear box made by General Motors (GM). These are the ones that cannot 'handle' full-blast' max RPM manuevers consistently - yes, so it becomes an intermittent problem, difficult to diagnose.

GM ? geezzz .. i thought i just bought a german technology car (even though it's made in SA)

E83_X3;491177 said:
Moral of the story: Unless your autotrans is of the ZF make, most of the entry-level BMW models now (be it E90, E60 up to 325/525 etc.) use the lower-cost, lower-spec, OEM gear box made by General Motors (GM). These are the ones that cannot 'handle' full-blast' max RPM manuevers consistently - yes, so it becomes an intermittent problem, difficult to diagnose.

wt_know;491179 said:
GM ? geezzz .. i thought i just bought a german technology car (even though it's made in SA)

Not everything in the engine bay, especially the peripheral equipment and electronics are made in Germany.

For example, the Valvetronic motor is made in the UK, not Germany.

Very valuable lesson here....thks...

E83_X3;491177 said:
You must have either:
(2) Floored your accelerator (pedal-to-metal) while on the move, racing with another car and negotiated a bend

Either way, its the auto transmission hiccup - at high RPM and will force you immediately on 'Safe Mode', and orange gear sign with '!' appears. If yours has x-Drive, the 4x4 with circular arrow will also appear. Your car will lose power and start to crawl.

Remedy: Don't push the car any more. You have just lost the race with the other car. Just slow down to a safe area and switch off engine. Wait a couple of minutes, restart and all alarms would have disappeared. Continue driving.

And if you bring your car to PML, they will say nothing is wrong. To continue to monitor on your own. So LL you drive your car out.

how to tell if its zf?

If yours is not a 335i, then most likely it's a GM Auto Trans. But look below...........

The 6L45 which is the one(I think) in all our non-335i can take up to 450NM of torque....If you do not SC or TC your car, BOH DAI JI lah.........BIAN KIA lah.....

How to even reach 300NM if you are NA?????

AHN Lah......
=======================================================================================================================

The 6L50 (and similar 6L45) is a 6-speed longitudinally-mounted automatic transmission produced by General Motors. It is very similar in design to the larger 6L80/6L90, and is produced at the GM Powertrain plant in Strasbourg, France. It features clutch to clutch shifting, eliminating the bands used on older transmission designs. The 6L50 will debut for the 2007 model year on the V8-powered versions of the Cadillac STS sedan and Cadillac SRX crossover, and will eventually replace the 5L40-E and 5L50 in GM's lineup. The 6L45 version is totally dedicated to BMW applications, either RWD or AWD.
The 6L50 is adaptable to rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive applications. It can accommodate engines with up to 332 ft·lbf (450 N·m) of torque, and vehicles with a GVWR of 5,000 lb (2,268 kg).

Gear ratios:
1 2 3 4 5 6 R
4.06 2.37 1.55 1.16 0.85 0.67 3.20

Applications:
6L45
  • 2007– BMW X3 - 3.0si / 2.5si / 3.0i
  • 2007– BMW 3 series - 330(x)i / 328(x)i / 325(x)i / 323i / 320i / 318i
  • 2007– BMW 1 series - 130i / 128i / 125i / 120i / 118i / 116i
6L50

To sum it up.. It means ur car is saying

' Uh oh.. U r screwed '

E83_X3;491177 said:
You must have either:

Gosh! Thanks for the insight! i hope my 318I E46 is not using a crappy gearbox, i have been pushing the car up to desaru with many dual carriage way overtaking at max RPM along the way.
So far i have not encountered the "!" sign. only once when the mechanic after changing my airfilter to K&N, forgot to replace the plug to the MAF sensor i got the light. Another time was when the connector the spark plugs was not connected properly which caused the car to jerk at low revs, like missing gear...

I hope i dont get into this problem as this kind of failure is DANGEROUS! as I have only a few seconds to make the decisive decision to over take and complete the overtake or slowdown and get back in lane, to avoid careening into the car coming opposite also at full blast, at least 250 km/h combined speed.

If the engine slows down because you Rev to max is normal for a lowend spec car, then BMW Germany should be castrated and put in jail for not highlighting this, and then sued for causing endangerment to people's lives!!!!

TobyNik;491495 said:
If yours is not a 335i, then most likely it's a GM Auto Trans. But look below...........

The 6L45 which is the one(I think) in all our non-335i can take up to 450NM of torque....If you do not SC or TC your car, BOH DAI JI lah.........BIAN KIA lah.....

How to even reach 300NM if you are NA?????

AHN Lah......
{/QUOTE]

phew... thanks for clearing that up... No damn way is my puny 2.0 l engine gonna give me that amount of torque. even with TC!!! i dont think i can get that close.
but then again if you TC your car when it is not designed to then of course you expect something else to give way as it is not meant to withstand that kind of load.

even F1 cars pushed to limits will blow! and they spend like millions designing and testing the car.

jerr87;491472 said:
how to tell if its zf?

Go to Realoem.com

Key in the last 7 values (combination of letters and digits) of your VIN code.

And wah lah! You will see everything about YOUR own car. And I really mean your own car.

Go to Transmission and you will see which gearbox you have. The GM ones are usually denoted as "GA6L45R"

The ZF ones in 335i are usually denoted as "GA6HP19Z" for 2008 production onwards......

jerr87;491472 said:
how to tell if its zf?

If yours is an E46 / E90 or E39 / E60, then its probably a GM autotrans gearbox A5S390R.

General Motors OEM Steptronic was used as early as the following models (note: USA does not have 323/320/318 models - such cars are considered too puny for such a big country ... haha):

E39 528I from 9/99
E39 525I and 530I thru 02/01
E46 323 I/Ci thru 02/00
E46 99-00 328 I/Ci
E46 01-05 325Xi
E46 03/03 325 Ci
E46 from 03/02 325I
E46 01-05 330Xi
E46 03/03 330 I/Ci
Z3 01-02 2.5i and 3.0i

Only the much older BMW models are equipped with German ZF autotrans.
For later/current models, only the top-end models (e.g. M3, M5 etc.) are given the ZFs.

Just google it to confirm.

One BMW spare parts website:

BMW Automatic Transmission Filter Kit A5S360R / A5S390R (GM 5L40-E) E46 thru 02/00 323 I/CI, E46 99-00 328 I/Ci, E46 01-05 325Xi, E46 03/02-05 325I, E46 03/03-05 325 Ci, E46 01-05 330Xi, E46 03/03-05 330 I/Ci 24-11-7-557-070 / 24117557070 - Bimmer Pa

TobyNik;491731 said:
Go to Realoem.com

Key in the last 7 values (combination of letters and digits) of your VIN code.

And wah lah! You will see everything about YOUR own car. And I really mean your own car.

Go to Transmission and you will see which gearbox you have. The GM ones are usually denoted as "GA6L45R"

The ZF ones in 335i are usually denoted as "GA6HP19Z" for 2008 production onwards......

Hi TobyNik,

Would u be able to advise how to check country of manufacture based on the VIN code? (realoem does not reflect country of manufacture)

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back