Wheel alignment issues

yendor

VMS,

IMO, when you lower your car, the camber changes quite drastically and this is obvious from the front or rear view where you see the tires tilted inwards at the top. Thus when you travel, the inner portion wear considerably faster than the sides. To correct this, you can look for a camber kit that tries to neutralise the camber angle till somewhere close to stock. The down side is that if your rims and tires are wide, the fenders may need to be rolled to accomadate the moving tires.

cheers dude..

just go for a normal alignment and use stock specs. many of us are already on 18s and if properly aligned there's no uneven wear problem, even with tracking. it's not as bad as you think. my prev set of pilot sports lasted me more than 50000km with 2 PG track days, 1 sepang track day, and 1 day of autokhana.

RB, that is quite a record. 50k km on 1 set of tires. Most of the time my Bridgestone SO-3 only lasts about 30k km even with rotation every 8000km. This was on by VW Passat. It was the inner shoulder that wore down much faster. By the time the inner shoulder wore down to botak, the outer side still had 40-50% of "flower" still left...

Sounds like i gotta try PS2 for my next tire change... :) :)

Eh look this car tire got no flower..... :laughlik:

yendor said:
RB, that is quite a record. 50k km on 1 set of tires. Most of the time my Bridgestone SO-3 only lasts about 30k km even with rotation every 8000km. This was on by VW Passat. It was the inner shoulder that wore down much faster. By the time the inner shoulder wore down to botak, the outer side still had 40-50% of "flower" still left...

Sounds like i gotta try PS2 for my next tire change... :) :)

Eh look this car tire got no flower..... :laughlik:

Yendor,

According to my understanding when I was sourcing for tyres, was told that tyre life of SO3s pretty short compared to PS1s and 2s.

so3 last much shorter. 30-40k is about right. PS1 easily hits 50k without need for tyre rotation. so PS1, although more expensive to purchase, actually comes out to be cheaper $/km. i have no experience with PS2, and i dunno if anyone has racked up 50k worth of mileage as of now.

Incidentally, does anyone know the alignment specs fr a pre-FL 320Ci on 18X8J's? Twice I rotated my tyres at 2 diff workshops and each claimed they use a standard setup but quoted slightly diff camber, castor & toe settings. Same fr tyre pressures.
Also, do i need to realign & balance each time I rotate?

I dunno about Michellins but the grip the SO-3s gave me was damn shiok. Could really pull through the corners though. I think the compound is softer and that is the why the buggers grip and wear so fast.

Well this is food for thought......hmmm... :thinking:

Racebred said:
just go for a normal alignment and use stock specs. many of us are already on 18s and if properly aligned there's no uneven wear problem, even with tracking. it's not as bad as you think. my prev set of pilot sports lasted me more than 50000km with 2 PG track days, 1 sepang track day, and 1 day of autokhana.

tracking and autokhana in fact help with inner shoulder wear on a lowered car because the type of wear experienced at those events is in the outer areas. it balances things out

wear is worse if the car is purely street driven

Well that make sense too as a heavily cambered car will have its outer shoulders in contact when faced with huge lateral loads..... hmmm .... :drool: speed...... :drool: .....

CompleteVMS said:
Hi Racebred,

Can you recommend me a tyre workshop that can do a good job? Thanks in advance.

Try Kenny at Riverview Auto, Tel: 64812025 / Hp: 90921015.
Gotta make an appointment & don't show up late coz his schedule seems pretty tight.. almost had to resched coz I was 10 mins late!

yendor said:
Well that make sense too as a heavily cambered car will have its outer shoulders in contact when faced with huge lateral loads..... hmmm .... :drool: speed...... :drool: .....

what's up sir rodney :)
the heavier the negative camber in a car, the less the outer shoulders wear in all situations - static and cornering. a car set up to have neutral camber at rest will usually develop positive camber under cornering - where roll angle exceeds amount that camber drop (goes negative).

there is a general correlation between camber loss/gain and lateral loads, but a more direct relation is with roll angle since there are about 5 factors that influence degree of body roll that accompanies lateral loads.

[homer] MmmMMm... SPEEeeEEeeD.........[/homer]

Shaun, you coming back to SGP anytime? Gotta grab a coffee with you to catch up.. damn long time neber meet leh... :thumbsup:

really wish I could man.. But then at the moment I don't have any money or time. Maybe in 2 or 3 years. For now have to spend resources chasing dreams. It's not that I don't want to come back but that I first want to develop myself and situations in ways such that I get to spend more time doing better quality things with family and friends. - a temporary sacrifice.

just stick around and don't go anywhere.. even if you change cars meanwhile. if anything, we can keep in touch through email. If you are changing yours let me know. I'll do likewise. When I come back I'll buy you a meal and you can show me all the neat new stuff that you have been / are doing. Also look out in the members section for my new year proposal regarding powertrain development.

Cheers bro :wavey:

admin, sorry about the OT. no more

Kian Teong autos at Sin Ming 1st floor also gives pretty good alignment for cheap price. i go to there.

Actually if the figures dont differ by much, just leave it to them to decide. They should simply pull out the specifications from their alignment database and stick to it.

even if you have a lowered ride or big rims, just stick to stock settings and you'll be alright. Slight adjustments are simply not needed at this level of driving.

At the track, i would say PS and S03 have comparable levels of grip, with SO3's stiffness giving advantage to nose-heavy cars with not-so-hard front suspension in the first place. For E46, not much diff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slotmpo99id

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back