Which is the best GPS system around?

mrericlee

There seems to be quite a lot of players offering GPS like TiBO, Garmin, HP, Packard Bell, etc.

Does any bros have any experiences to share?

How does the BMW GPS stack up against the aftermarket ones?

(Just comparing GPS accuracy and guidance... of course, built in looks the best)

Re: Which is the best GPS system around?

the best GPS is the most updated one, with the most local content, with both malaysia and singapore and other country's maps easy to find.

In short, any Garmin.

I recommend Garmin nuvi 300.

see malsingmaps website

see cnet article for local singapore context,

BMW gps is good in user interface, but singapore only? Wotta joke.

Most updated does not mean most accurate.... software also important. I hate those that asks you to turn right after you have already missed the turn.

my usage of malsingmaps have not turned out any stupid issue like what you said.

and, in Malsingmaps, if there's any error, people report it and it's fixed.

this is a community map, and the best one in the world. If you really use GPSes like a blind dog without a sense of direction (like me) you'd know that all other maps in SG are utter bullshit.

And paying a thousand bucks for an upgrade - bullshit.

Hi centurion, the malsingmaps website is really useful, with helpful forum and a comprehensive Wiki section ... learnt a lot there ... cheers :goodup:

but malsingmaps cannot be installed in any head unit save the DNX7100 Kenwood which is actually a garmin ....

Malsingmaps give one reason NOT to have NAV in SG .... actually, I consider all the big hoo haa about gps in dash... quite naff .... coz a built in nav is not transportable. If you travel and drive in foreign country, you'd be glad to have a little garmin or transportable gps with you. Instead of leaving it all behind in your car.

centurion;270737 said:
my usage of malsingmaps have not turned out any stupid issue like what you said.

and, in Malsingmaps, if there's any error, people report it and it's fixed.

this is a community map, and the best one in the world. If you really use GPSes like a blind dog without a sense of direction (like me) you'd know that all other maps in SG are utter bullshit.

And paying a thousand bucks for an upgrade - bullshit.

Bro, which GPS unit do you use to download maps from malsingmaps?

Hmmmm... go buy a Garmin and save on iDrive?

That's a couple thousand dollars!

If not wrong there is a Garmin unit/device that can interface with the screen in the car.

Yes it is a GPS unit, but the interface with Canbus fiber optic is not easy.

Standalone unit is so convenient. If you think too big get the nuvi 300 which is small and nice.

I'm actually wanting to buy a Garmin GPS, seems like the nuvi 300 is good from the posts here. Where is the best place to buy one? Seems like not a lot of shops are selling GPS units. What's the price of the nuvi 300?

Thanks centurion. Any idea what's the price for a nuvi 300?

715;271043 said:
Thanks centurion. Any idea what's the price for a nuvi 300?
I am an insider (not same product, but the industry) so not nice to say price. Price should be thereabouts S$500 ...

Bro Centurion, thanks for all the info! Will go down to sim lim one of these days. So nuvi 300 is a good choice?

ah, I'm getting the Nuvi 300 this weekend as well ... couldnt do it on Sunday as I had to go back to office (and missing the meet-up as a result) ... bro 715, can you pm me the price if you get yours before sunday? cheers

the nuvi 300 is for cars with really small windscreens. If you have a more generous front, you may want to consider the 600 series which has a larger screen. But nevertheless, the circuit and function is the same.

centurion;271135 said:
the nuvi 300 is for cars with really small windscreens. If you have a more generous front, you may want to consider the 600 series which has a larger screen. But nevertheless, the circuit and function is the same.

Thanks Centurion, I will go down and have a look at both models. Indicative price of the 600?

rosnovski;271133 said:
ah, I'm getting the Nuvi 300 this weekend as well ... couldnt do it on Sunday as I had to go back to office (and missing the meet-up as a result) ... bro 715, can you pm me the price if you get yours before sunday? cheers

Hi Rosnovski, will pm you if I do go down and get it these few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w88diy
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back