which suspension set-up would you recommend and why?

racingaprilia

dear all,

i am currently on eibach pro-kit springs only and im keen on changing to another set-up.

im currently considering changing my shocks or maybe getting coilovers once and for all.

but its a jungle out there and some earnest recommendations or reviews from bros out there would do wonders for the decision making.

regards
racingaprilia

Re: which suspension set-up would you recommend and why?

racingaprilia;290483 said:
dear all,

i am currently on eibach pro-kit springs only and im keen on changing to another set-up.

im currently considering changing my shocks or maybe getting coilovers once and for all.

but its a jungle out there and some earnest recommendations or reviews from bros out there would do wonders for the decision making.

regards
racingaprilia

Guess you are referring to E90 320i. IMO, just change the shocks will do although I am using PSS9 coilovers set up. With Eibach springs, may I know your car lowered by how many mm? Please note PSS9 or KW would lower your car by at least 35mm which may be too low for some peoples. But if you like it low, coilovers will be best choice.

Once u go coilovers, u never wanna go back! Serious!

Yeah, I agree with Sam. Coilovers all the way.

Jadis;290494 said:
Please note PSS9 or KW would lower your car by at least 35mm which may be too low for some peoples.

this is a valid concern that's seldom highlighted but is the main reason i've resisted going the coilover route for so long.....

don't know of any coilovers that allow you to retain stock height, most will lower your car a little bit.

louis;290506 said:
this is a valid concern that's seldom highlighted but is the main reason i've resisted going the coilover route for so long.....

don't know of any coilovers that allow you to retain stock height, most will lower your car a little bit.

Wotcha worried about ?
If u recall how my previous Z looked like in terms of ride height....I never scraped anything. Short whl base, short over hang, ...bo tai zi la

TripleM;290577 said:
Wotcha worried about ?
If u recall how my previous Z looked like in terms of ride height....I never scraped anything. Short whl base, short over hang, ...bo tai zi la

your prev Z looked good with that ride height but my neighbourhood and places i frequent have big big humps on top of slopes that i just barely clear right now....

cheers
OT: can i chope taxi ride in your new ride? TQ!

Lowered suspension really have problems for some peoples especially at the basement carpark. When I enter my basement carpark, I have to keep right to avoid scraping the undercarriage and front lip.

yes, the places you frequent must be taken into consideration too before switching to coilovers or lowering springs. how often do you need the cornering abilities of the coilovers VS how often you need to clear the humps and slopes

case in point: i do grocery shopping at turf city and some of the humps there.... wah, need horse to jump over one.

I like coilovers but the ground clearance only about 11cm at the front (with lip), a bit risky at some places. Normal road hump not a problem,only at basement carpark.

another point to note is cost, height adjustable + damping adjustment coilover is range from low 2K to high 3K. lowering spring + aftermarket shock would be within 1.5K to 2K+. you get for what you pay for no more no less.

Since you're eibach spring, don't waste it. Just get Koni FSD or Bilstein B8 for shock replacement.

Try look into options like KW V1, is a coilover with only height adjustment. damping is fix by manufacturer. Or similar product from Bilstein, BILSTEIN B14® PSS

I'm on BILSTEIN B16® PSS9, I liked the height, handling & ride comfort. My man intention to change to coliover system, is I want that adjustability on the heights in order to achieve the ride profile I want. Personally, the ride is so much better after I put in the coilover system. Out of the box, BMW stock handling & ride comfort is very good. but till I ride on coilover setup I can't belive there is another level to that firmness, yet comfort wise is not compromise (of course comfort level is vary from drivers) . First, I set to 9' all round (softest, 1 is the hardest) at the installation and the height right, as how I want to the profile of the car. I keep a 10mm difference between height for front and rear, measure from wheel arch to low base of your wheel (not tire). I got this height different when I measure my stock height before putting in the coilover. After some 2 1/2 months running-in with more than 10,000KM clock on the system, I've request J4C to set to 5' all round. the ride is still not harder but dam very de firm. is not just good on corners, on high speed (say 90-100KMH) shift lane it very stable, zero body roll. all and all, I'm glad I choose coilovers.

good luck on your choice of upgrades.

coilover FTW.

I'm on KW2, just installed.

Ride is firm, a little hard sometimes, but you can feel all of the bumpers on the road.

Corner and handling is absolutely fantastic though. Confidence inspiring through corners without any signs of flexing.

louis;290614 said:
case in point: i do grocery shopping at turf city and some of the humps there.... wah, need horse to jump over one.

I do grocery shopping there too but its fine for my car... (3.5-4inch from the ground). No scraping, just lots of zig-zagging!

thanks for all the contributions bros... but i have not heard from any bros on a koni fsd and eibach prokit review their setup.

any bros out there can kindly enlighten me about the ride comfyness, height, cornering etc...

thanks

i just changed to eibach + bilstein B8... improved handling straight away... can corner at higher speeds and wont rock like a boat anymore...

if budget is not your concern, then go for the pss9... think it is all agree after this, nothing else matters...

racingaprilia;290993 said:
thanks for all the contributions bros... but i have not heard from any bros on a koni fsd and eibach prokit review their setup.

any bros out there can kindly enlighten me about the ride comfyness, height, cornering etc...

thanks

I have eibach + Koni on my 320i. If u see a mad beng driver in a silver one on NSH speeding at 6am, that could very well be me :lol2: . The reason why I so hiong is bcos the handling is superb. The lowering = lower CG = stable on straights n bends. Confidence inspiring. Glued to the road like sticky rice.

looks wise also very cool, u can see my car on the tyres sub forum under "E90 + BBS CK 19"

Downside is a bit hard over bumpy roads, so u need to not pump yr tyres so hard...thats all.

Mai Tu Liao

I read that the KW V2's are "infinitely height adjustable" and read somewhere else that they are adjustable for 40-60mm drop. The question is, if I just wanna lower by 25mm from stock (KL roads are rather sucky) is this possible with the KW V2's?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debetninja
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back