Who supplies rims to BMW / PML? Run flat technology questions?

nikleica

I would like to ask if anyone knows who supplies the rims to BMW or PML?

I cannot find the weight and full specs of the rims from the BMW brochures and was wondering if the rims are supplied by any of the great German rim manufacturers or some Taiwanese/Chinese manufacturer.

Any thoughts?

Another question would be how Run Flat sensors work and whether the sensor works on loss of pressure in the tyre monitored via some attachment to the rims. If this is the case, would changing to normal tyres affect the technology? Pointers anyone?

Re: Who supplies rims to BMW / PML? Run flat technology questions?

Was surfing the net and saw some partnership between OZ wheels (Italian mfr) and BMW and started to wonder if the rims that come with BMW are from them?

Anyone care to confirm?

nikleica said:
Another question would be how Run Flat sensors work and whether the sensor works on loss of pressure in the tyre monitored via some attachment to the rims. If this is the case, would changing to normal tyres affect the technology? Pointers anyone?

It works by the speed of the tyre rotation. When there is a lost of pressure in one tyre, the speed of rotation of that tyre will be different and it will pick up by the sensor. By changing to normal tyre, it will still work the same.

Thanks Matey! So am I correct to say that the sensors are not on the tyres and rims (wheels)? If that is the case, a person changing his wheels will still be able to get the sensors working?

BTW, checked with a sales person in PML yday and was told that BMW manufactures their own rims for their cars..... I found that hard to believe given that outsourcing seems to be the fashion item of corporates this decade. BMW just doesnt have enuff demand to justify their own manufacturing factory for rims I feel.

BBS is one of them, at least I have seen a few designs.

One thing I would like from their brochures is more info on the quality of their OEM stuff like rims. Understanding the materials (like alloy, forged or cast for wheels etc) helps me appreciate the value of the things that went into the car and whether they need to be changed.

Thanks for the updates from all..its enlightening.

Have a great day ahead!

nikleica said:
Thanks Matey! So am I correct to say that the sensors are not on the tyres and rims (wheels)? If that is the case, a person changing his wheels will still be able to get the sensors working?

BTW, checked with a sales person in PML yday and was told that BMW manufactures their own rims for their cars..... I found that hard to believe given that outsourcing seems to be the fashion item of corporates this decade. BMW just doesnt have enuff demand to justify their own manufacturing factory for rims I feel.

Not trying generalise but in my own experience, a lot of SEs do not know much n can end up giving you the wrong information.

This is a good thread, I myself have been trying to get more info on the OEM rims, like offset, weight, forged or not, etc

TripleM said:
BBS is one of them, at least I have seen a few designs.

BBS supply OEM rims to BMW?

BBS supplies some; a very small number. The rest are from others. I still can't understand why the BMW rims are so expensive given that they chip so ever easily. I would rather place my money in the actual BBS rims and maybe even Rays. BTW, Rays have come up with some specs that fit our cars.

edleee said:
BBS supplies some; a very small number. The rest are from others. I still can't understand why the BMW rims are so expensive given that they chip so ever easily. I would rather place my money in the actual BBS rims and maybe even Rays. BTW, Rays have come up with some specs that fit our cars.

Which is why I think it's not quite worth the money but again when you are faced with exclusivity choices like M5, M3 or M6 rims then there's no other choice.

As for RAYS rims, they are getting there. I m already seeing their new rims for E90 as well. They are darn good and relatively much cheaper vs other brands incl BBS.

Ahbengdriver said:
Not trying generalise but in my own experience, a lot of SEs do not know much n can end up giving you the wrong information.

This is a good thread, I myself have been trying to get more info on the OEM rims, like offset, weight, forged or not, etc

The info is all here ( except u can't find the weight info )

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Cheers

My E90 style 160 RFT BMW original rims is made by Ronal.
I saw it when I clean the inside of the rims.

I also see 3pc AC Schnitzer wheel (the model before the latest current model,I forget what type it is) also made by Ronal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back