• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Would you guys have a pre-inspection b4 buying?

JT

Just curious as to how many of you guys who are buying 2nd cars see it as necessary or not to do a pre-sale inspection?
Thanks

Re: Would you guys have a pre-inspection b4 buying?

For me, I wld only check on the previous service records and test drive the bugger...

other than that, pointless to do the STA inspection as cant really reveal much... :)

I agree.....I did a pre inspection before I bought my 728, because I felt that the undercarriage/suspection was not smooth during test drive. AA inspection revealed nothing. But in less than 6 months, I had to replace all four control arms...one of the wheels could be shaken loose even with bare hands. So test drive, and go with your instincts and experience. Inspection does give you information like whether it has previous accidents, body re-work etc.

IMHO, pre inspection is good only if they allow you to take off some parts to peek within..

However, inspection by an experienced and trusted mechanic could quickly identify small issues like suspension due for change, brake pad/disc gone, engine mounting loose, wheel bearings rust etc

For bigger potential bombs like aircon compressor and engine gear box, you need to do a test drive etc to get a "feel".

I think inspection can help u detect any major accidents but not wear n tear items...imho spending that extra couple of hundred $$ vs the 6 figure price we pay for our cars is worthy lor...

If buying 2nd hand, I always check up on the history of the past owner, and pre-requisite is always bring to at least two different workshops for mechanic to conduct under carriage check, and test drive. Only if both say 'ok', I will purchase.

STA/AA/VICOM ratings? Hahahah looks damn comprehensive but I see it as more of a super sales tool for used car dealers rather than helping the consumer man.

For me, i wld rather use the hundred for sparks or air filter..... or a Takuma Sato race cap :) with change for a Sato key chain :) :) then to pay VICOM or STA because there is no way they are going to be telling if its an accident car..

For most minor accidents, sometimes the workmanships can even fool the most experienced of mechanics... (erhmm.. can trust me on this..kekekek)

Very interesting responses from you guys... great input.

For me... I would rate myself as quite well versed/experienced with evaluating cars on the surface... of course, if I could look at the undercarriage with the car hoisted up... I could tell more.... so I don't trust just looking and test driving.
In most cases, seeing where the car is parked... if parked at the same spot can reveal a lot about the kind of oil leaks (engine, power steering, tranny etc)... that's why when people readily offer to drive the car for me to see... makes me cautious (major oil leaks on the carpark...cold start problems...noisy engine when cold start etc)

So, what I do is.. I usually negotiate till a strike price is agreed upon and pay a deposit... final endorsement is for the seller to put his money where his mouth is.. go for an independent assessment by KNOWLEDGEABLE people (not STA, AA etc.. these people know crap... even I know more than them)...
If the assesement proves OK, I pay for the assessment and go ahead with the sale.
If the assessment proves that the seller is trying to push a lemon (make an agreement before hand), the seller should pay for the assessment.... and I can walk away with my deposit... no need to get angry
If the assessment shows up unseen wear and tear items... nego again... if deal goes thru..I pay the assessment... and vise versa
All nicely and professionally agreed before hand... so we don't plonk down good money for bad car... and don't get mad at each other

And I always go with a friend who can be OBJECTIVE to tell me to walk away... some cars are can evoke so much emotion that we kid ourselves into making a boo boo....

Yo, agree with u, thats what i did !! slowly but surely ..cheers.

Having inspection of some form is certainly better than no inspection unless u are a self-proclaimed mechanic or buying from a trusted source like a good friend. Inspection can take all forms such as the one from PML, STA or your own trusted mechanic. At the very least, u can be alerted to existing or potential problems. When buying a high maintenance Bimmer, all the more not to stinge on inspection. Inspections of service records can at least show whether the car is a lemon. Inspection can also help u see if there is chassis damage, wear and tear parts that require replacement soon and whether certain parts of the car has thicker paintwork etc.

I guess for me i bought my 2nd hand E46 ride base on trust btw myself, the car dealer & the boss of the shop whom i've bought a ride from him years b4.

3weeks already & i'm lovin my ride everyday.

Cheers!
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back