2005 E90 Battery

viperjet

Anyone can advise the battery specifications of the 2005 e90 battery?

Can we buy a normal battery with the a slightly lower or higher AH and replace?

I am now at KL with a flat battery. Most work shop is closed and only place to get a battery is Jusco or Gaint.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2005 E90 Battery

You can replace with a 90ah battery if possible. When you are back in SG - do the registration and resets.

If your original battery is less than 90ah - then coding is needed as well.

E90 318i, 320i battery is Ah 46, 325i, 335i is 70Ah.
It is highly recommended to install similar or slight higher than the advised Ah.
Varta Brand seems to be very suitable for BMW, it is good to link the (+) and ground(-) inside
the bonnet with a working battery before pulling out the dead battery some electronic and computer
board will not be totally out of current to prevent a re-setting and may affect the engine management.
All the best.

which brings me to the question - often being told that other than the orginal BMW battery which lasts 3 to 4 years, the OEM ones normally last 1.5 to 2 years only. Which is it so freaking short life?

Thanks guys.. manage to locate Autobac that open on 2nd day of CNY and got a Bosch S5 75Ah replacement (current 70ah). Since my ride will be going to scrapped in a few months time... Is it a must to do the coding? Please advise... Thanks!

Don't think need coding but registration and reset - yes its needed.

viperjet;1113019 said:
Thanks guys.. manage to locate Autobac that open on 2nd day of CNY and got a Bosch S5 75Ah replacement (current 70ah). Since my ride will be going to scrapped in a few months time... Is it a must to do the coding? Please advise... Thanks!

Reset or recode means to program the duty cycle of the charging pulse from the alternator via DME.

A new battery will probably need shorter duty cycle than a old battery which need more longer charging period.

If left unchanged after a new battery is replaced, the newer battery will get charge more than required (I believed BMW uses BMW original battery as reference) and will shorten the life span of the battery....overcharging.

Since you are getting slightly higher AH than the original, which in theory need higher duty cycle to effectively charged the battery to desired level as compared to original one, and in addition that you are planning to scrap the car in a few months time, I think you don't need any resetting or coding to save $$ :)

Hope this help.

The life span of the battery will be significantly reduced when it is not operating at the desired operating level. Over or under charged is always the cause of premature failure.

BMW original battery is designed to operate at conditions designed by the car designer as a whole, taking into account of charging current profile, duty cycles, overshoot currents etc where these parameters changes over time. These predictable parameters by the designers have already stored these numbers in the DME memory so that it is always be the optimum parameters for the entire battery life span. Therefore BMW original battery could last much longer than after-market battery.

Aftermarket battery only specific the maximum Ampere-hour and nominal Ampere-hour to match the original BMW battery BUT other parameters likes charging profile, currents etc etc could be different. This means that the battery will not be operating at its optimum condition (both in charge and discharge states) which resulted in shorten of battery life.

For me, I will always buy original BMW battery because I know it can easily last 4+ years. After market one will the most 2 years or less.

Hope this help.

While trying not to be seen pedantic .....

IMHO - Reset, registration and recode are 3 different functions. 2 of them has an element of time whilst the other has not.

The other thing is that the parameters to determine duty cycle is actually not stored in the DME.

Lastly, longetivity of the battery is only but one of the factors that should be considered.

In any case, coding is not needed because there isn't a 75ah option for configuration. Which leaves the registration and a reset, which if considered from the point of battery longetivity is not necessary (agreed) but from a maintenance standpoint it should be done because of the influence the IBS has on the alternator, DME etc.

stevenwu;1113076 said:
Reset or recode means to program the duty cycle of the charging pulse from the alternator via DME.

A new battery will probably need shorter duty cycle than a old battery which need more longer charging period.

If left unchanged after a new battery is replaced, the newer battery will get charge more than required (I believed BMW uses BMW original battery as reference) and will shorten the life span of the battery....overcharging.

Since you are getting slightly higher AH than the original, which in theory need higher duty cycle to effectively charged the battery to desired level as compared to original one, and in addition that you are planning to scrap the car in a few months time, I think you don't need any resetting or coding to save $$ :)

Hope this help.

The life span of the battery will be significantly reduced when it is not operating at the desired operating level. Over or under charged is always the cause of premature failure.

BMW original battery is designed to operate at conditions designed by the car designer as a whole, taking into account of charging current profile, duty cycles, overshoot currents etc where these parameters changes over time. These predictable parameters by the designers have already stored these numbers in the DME memory so that it is always be the optimum parameters for the entire battery life span. Therefore BMW original battery could last much longer than after-market battery.

Aftermarket battery only specific the maximum Ampere-hour and nominal Ampere-hour to match the original BMW battery BUT other parameters likes charging profile, currents etc etc could be different. This means that the battery will not be operating at its optimum condition (both in charge and discharge states) which resulted in shorten of battery life.

For me, I will always buy original BMW battery because I know it can easily last 4+ years. After market one will the most 2 years or less.

Hope this help.

In any case, either reset, re-registration or recode etc, once you ask the workshop to do this, the charges is about $35.
If plan to do either, (the workshop will go through all these settings anyway by procedures), must well do all the 3 functions since they still charge the same.

Either don't do anything (save $$) or do the 3 functions (~$35 from BVO).

My definition of DME means car control system as a whole...
Sorry to misled anyone here....wrong Definition...... Didn't explore or doing experiments on my car anymore ....hehe..

btw, no one will give 3yr warranty (if I don't remember wrongly or 2 yrs maybe) on original bmw battery. That was sometime back when I bought my battery from pml.
After market battery will give the most 1yr.

Happy CNY and Huat ah.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79snet

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back