2006 325i E90 Steptronics Behaviour

cannon

Hi there

Need some advices on steptronic:

1) normal behaviour of steptronics when simulating down shifting and car is stationery. Should it be M6 5 4 3 2 1 or M6 1? Tried several times and yielded either of the sequence. Not too sure which should be the expected result.

2) also tried upshifting several times and yielded different results. I was expecting M1 2 3 4 5 6 to be the expected result but now and then, it doesn't shift up in sequence. Gotten all sort of other sequences like 1 3 5 6, 1 2 4 5 6, 1 4 6, etc.

3) there are times whereby the gears could not be up or down shifted when moving. Just earlier, the gear was at m4 and rpm was at 4.5k but couldnt be up or down shifted. Anyone encountered the same problem and what could be the issue/s?

Thanks.

Re: 2006 325i E90 Steptronics Behaviour

With regard to Steptronic behaviour...

1) Stationary after coming to a stop or after starting up the engine and have not moved?

- For the former, the gear should be at 2 upon stationary. So if stationary now, we change to sports mode or use the steptronic to down shift, it just shows '1'.... try shift down again it will remain as '1', down again and it will still be '1'.

- For the latter, it is in gear 2 (auto) and if use the steptronic to down shift, it should show '1'... try shift down again it will remain as '1', down again and it will still be '1'.

- In stationary mode, if we manually shift up, it shows 2,3,4,5,6. From here, if we down shift, it will show 6,5,4,3,2,1.

2) Never happened to mine. Did u change any loading on the accelerator in the entire process?

3) Never happened to mine. Could be an issue of electronics.

Note:
There is approximately a 0.5sec (max) lag before there is an actual gear change after we hit the down or up once so hitting it twice in succession can sometimes result in the gearbox double shifting or jump straight to the latest input - Applies to driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

mine shift quite fast. but if you are at 6k rpm at 4 ...... should not be able to shift lower ......

Good to see the last few 325 here... I do not have these issues either. In fact I could smoothly shift up and shift down or drag on my preferred gears or hold it as long as I want... I drive 85% of my time on steptronics whenever I could...

Baby1M;979336 said:
With regard to Steptronic behaviour...

1) Stationary after coming to a stop or after starting up the engine and have not moved?

- For the former, the gear should be at 2 upon stationary. So if stationary now, we change to sports mode or use the steptronic to down shift, it just shows '1'.... try shift down again it will remain as '1', down again and it will still be '1'.

- For the latter, it is in gear 2 (auto) and if use the steptronic to down shift, it should show '1'... try shift down again it will remain as '1', down again and it will still be '1'.

- In stationary mode, if we manually shift up, it shows 2,3,4,5,6. From here, if we down shift, it will show 6,5,4,3,2,1.

2) Never happened to mine. Did u change any loading on the accelerator in the entire process?

3) Never happened to mine. Could be an issue of electronics.

Note:
There is approximately a 0.5sec (max) lag before there is an actual gear change after we hit the down or up once so hitting it twice in succession can sometimes result in the gearbox double shifting or jump straight to the latest input - Applies to driving.

Any reason why E90 move off at 2nd gear instead of 1st..?

We're not driving lorry leh, where 1st is for up slope.. Dun tell me that's the reason.....

Thanks.

vexxus;992043 said:
Any reason why E90 move off at 2nd gear instead of 1st..?

We're not driving lorry leh, where 1st is for up slope.. Dun tell me that's the reason.....

Thanks.
Merc also move off from 2nd gear le. So?

1st gear is jerky & unsuitable for luxury car. :)

davidtch;992045 said:
Merc also move off from 2nd gear le. So?

1st gear is jerky & unsuitable for luxury car. :)

Paiseh, didn't know benz also work the same way.. And i thought something wrong with my gear when i played with the steptronic today..

Sounds good when u mentioned 'luxury car'..... :cloud9:

vexxus;992046 said:
Paiseh, didn't know benz also work the same way.. And i thought something wrong with my gear when i played with the steptronic today..

Sounds good when u mentioned 'luxury car'..... :cloud9:
When you switch to 1, u will noticed that the car is very jerky.

davidtch;992054 said:
When you switch to 1, u will noticed that the car is very jerky.

I did, it does a bit when moving off..... :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peso63org
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back