23i or 35is?

23i or 35is?

• Total voters

Mohawkian

Hi guys, I am new to this forum so forgive me if there is anything that I am unsure of.
currently thinking of getting a z4 just not sure which of this 2 variant should I get.

Few of my considerations points are :

- Repair cost in the future
- Maintenance cost
- Reliability

A little information about the 2 cars I am currently looking at..
(if anyone of you has any history of these cars?)

z4 23i (Consignment PI unit)

Price : $62,000
Depre : $18,000+ / yr
OMV : $42,264
Duration: 2 years 3 mths left

z35is (Consignment PI unit)

Price: $84,000
Depre : $16,419 / yr
OMV : $61,274
Duration : 3 years 3 mths left

I am very keen to purchase either of these two but I am facing a dilemma between them as i have research and asked around a little bit.
Some say the 35is engine (N54) more prone of failing things like HPFP and the injectors etc..and that their repair cost are way higher than the 23i.

Some say the 23i is more reliable but the depre of the 23i that is available in the market now is higher than a 35is.
Hope to have some advices from you guys here!

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 23i.JPG
    23i.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 583
  • 35is.JPG
    35is.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 298
Hi Moh,

welcome onboard...

S35is....unless you are a fan of NA like myself...driven my S23i since day one back in 2009 bought during the launch till now ( no regrets )

*** Roofless Rocks
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Hi Moh,

welcome onboard...

S35is....unless you are a fan of NA like myself...driven my S23i since day one back in 2009 bought during the launch till now ( no regrets )

*** Roofless Rocks
Hi Moh,

welcome onboard...

*** Roofless Rocks
Thank you so much ac323! Appreciate your reply bro!

Is there any specific reason as to why you would suggest me to go for the 35is is it because the 23i depre is too high?

How’s your 23i maintenance?

Thank you so much ac323! Appreciate your reply bro!

Is there any specific reason as to why you would suggest me to go for the 35is is it because the 23i depre is too high?

How’s your 23i maintenance?

Hi Moh,

S35is more power although power is never enough...

S23i maintenance so far so good....this N52B25 engine very realiable ( wear and tear: like brake pads, ignition coil is common issue so long you take good care of the engine it will take care of you.... )

Hope you can join us sooooooooon - Roooooooofless Rocks
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Did a workshop inspection check.
Shall not name the shop but I’ve been reading saying that it’s quite reputable.

This is the list of issues.
Which honestly I have no idea are thy major issues or just minor wear and tear ?

It is on the 35is

Anyone can help me out here? :)

Attachments

• BD95A3B0-AE71-46ED-9B1E-396DDEC8988A.jpeg
    BD95A3B0-AE71-46ED-9B1E-396DDEC8988A.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 401
Did a workshop inspection check.
Shall not name the shop but I’ve been reading saying that it’s quite reputable.

This is the list of issues.
Which honestly I have no idea are thy major issues or just minor wear and tear ?

It is on the 35is

Anyone can help me out here? :)

Positive for a used unit ( 7to8 years of age )

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Hi Moh, I did view this car last week, it is a PI car. Was not able to share w me the service history. Overall condition so so. Driver seat needs some repair . Too much mod for my liking..

Hi Moh, I did view this car last week, it is a PI car. Was not able to share w me the service history. Overall condition so so. Driver seat needs some repair . Too much mod for my liking..

Btw if you’re referring to the 35is, i pulled out of the deal today, the dealer’s sales services damn bad. The follow ups and all is just...argh. Overall experience is just bad.

Thanks for the information bro.

Yes I was referring to the 35is.... Haha I know how it feels... I got screwed last 3 weeks ago on a deal for a 335i white cab.. The dealer sei pei unethical.. BTW I recently ended up buying another Z4 35iS ...

Yes I was referring to the 35is.... Haha I know how it feels... I got screwed last 3 weeks ago on a deal for a 335i white cab.. The dealer sei pei unethical.. BTW I recently ended up buying another Z4 35iS ...

Hope you got your deposit back, cos sometimes they die die don’t wanna return one!

CONGRATULATIONS BRO!
Where did you buy it from? Ive been looking around but really really not much people selling it in the market currently eh.

How’s the power? Worth it? Hahahhaa

I bought the yellow unit from Sgcarmart. Collected this afternoon. The power & standard exhaust are intoxicating

I just noticed at the same website there is a blue? 335 cab w low mileage... Why not consider it..

I bought the yellow unit from Sgcarmart. Collected this afternoon. The power & standard exhaust are intoxicating

I just noticed at the same website there is a blue? 335 cab w low mileage... Why not consider it..

Z better...

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Yellow unit? The z28i uh?
Congratulations Brother on your ride!

Hahahahha im only looking for Z leh

Hi Mohawkian,

I used to own a sdrive23i running the N52B25 engine, and currently drive a 1M Coupe (which shares the same engine as the 35is). If the numbers work for you, please get the 35is.

With the N52, there's the pesky ticking noise from the hydraulic valve adjusters, which the only way to solve it is to replace the lifters for the exhaust camshaft (which is a PITA)

Contrary to what most feedback about the N54 is, this engine is actually pretty reliable and great! BMW updated the HPFP 7 times, and the 35is engine comes with the latest and most reliable version. I've ran more than 100,000km on my original hpfp since day 1 7 years ago, and HPFP still going strong. With regards to injectors, BMW had quite a number of revisions too. so as long as you run the index 12 version, it should be pretty reliable too.

Last edited:
Hi Chester!
Firstly, thank you for taking time to give your feedbacks! Much appreciated.

With regards to what you said about the version 12 of the injectors and the HPFP. I’ve kinda heard it from my friends too. True!

Version 12 ones are quite solid from what I heard.

But how about the turbo issues?

Hi Mohawkian,

yes the index 12s are great. Turbos are ok too. depends on how you drive it. but i guess many people here put a lot of abuse on the N54s and turbos are pretty reliable.

If it fails, just get hybrids. You won't regret.

Hi Chester!
Firstly, thank you for taking time to give your feedbacks! Much appreciated.

With regards to what you said about the version 12 of the injectors and the HPFP. I’ve kinda heard it from my friends too. True!

Version 12 ones are quite solid from what I heard.

But how about the turbo issues?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okebet168net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back