3 Series wins 2006 World Car of the Year Award!

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From Paddocktalk,

Rejoice all BMW Enthusiasts...

The new BMW 3 Series has been named ‘2006 World Car of the Year’ at a presentation during the New York International Auto Show. A jury of 46 international automotive journalists reviewed every new car available around the world and, in an exhaustive selection process, narrowed them down to three – the BMW 3 Series, Mazda MX-5 and Porsche Cayman S. At the ceremony, the 3 Series was awarded the prestigious World Car of the Year honour thanks to its balance of ride, handling, performance and interior space.

Graham Johnson, co-Chairman of the World Car of the Year steering committee said: "The new 3 Series delivers a balance of traits that only a few cars on the market offer. BMW’s compact executive doubles up as a family car during the week and a sports car at the weekends. This unique double-act, twinned with the 3 Series’ exceptional levels of refinement, meant the BMW was a clear winner."

The World Car of the Year accolade follows a number of UK awards bestowed upon BMW’s new 3 Series model range.

In January 2006, the BMW 320d ES was awarded the What Car? Car of the Year 2006 accolade as well as the Compact Executive category. At the awards, Steve Fowler, Group Editor of What Car?, commented: "The BMW 3 Series emerged as a clear winner. We’d expected BMW’s Compact Exec contender to be good, but we didn’t expect it to be this good. No other car is as great in so many ways as the 3 Series."

The What Car? Car of the Year award came at the same time as BMW scooped a clutch of top honours at the Fleet Excellence Awards – the voting of which is drawn from the 30,000 plus readers of Fleet Week and Fleet Management. Proving that BMW offers products that appeal to the business user as well as private buyers, the 3 Series won the coveted ‘User Chooser Car of the Year’ overall prize alongside its category win.

Tristan Young, Editor of Fleet Week, said of the winning car: "Available from under £20,000, the 3 Series range provides choice for any business and its drivers, offering seven different engines and four specification levels. A class-leading combination of fuel economy, emissions and performance irrespective of model, cements its appeal to the all important company car driver audience."

The top honours given to BMW by the World Car of the Year jurors, What Car? and Fleet News and Fleet Management come hot on the heels of a host of other awards. Since its launch in March 2005, both Auto Express and Test Drive magazines have awarded the 3 Series their Best Compact Executive car of 2005. Last year culminated in the 3 Series being awarded the coveted Scottish Car of the Year award – the first time BMW had ever won the principal ‘gong’ north of the border.

Re: 3 Series wins 2006 World Car of the Year Award!

Cheers to all E90s owners for owning the "World Car of the Year"! :goodup:

SFW said:
Cheers to all E90s owners for owning the "World Car of the Year"! :goodup:

There were 46 members of jury so probably something to do with E46 :nehnehhh:
Long live the 3-er..

congrats to all the 3-er, WORLD car of the year...
bmw always the best!!

damn it! not the IS250?

Bravo, BMW rocks! IMO, a 'characterful' and beautiful car has finally won the int'l acclaim that it so rightly deserves! Yes congrats to all the E90 owners!:)

Long Live The Bmw 3 Ser!!!

Thought IS250 more popular in US as reported by the Lexus salesman in the other thread?

Maybe if pricing same, then BMW wins all the way lah.....

Long Live BMW!!!!!!!!!!!! :yummie:

Wa liao, this is gonna escalate to another BMW-bashing thread...... muahahahaha...... no one comparing a E46 cab to a IS250 cab (is there even one?).......

Hi all,

This is just a news thread, and not meant to be used for a comparison with other marques and models. I would like to avoid another heated thread which happened recently.

Like one of my principles in the forum, if you got nothing good to say, don't say it.

Cheers

Congrats to BMW .... another feather in the cap ! :cloud9:

Toto: Dun rub it in la ! :lol2:

michaeltan said:
Because in the USA, BMW and Lexus have similar pricing for similar engine cap.

think in UK also quite closely priced....

so come come go go... if Lexus priced at BMW levels... they loose!! n if BMWs priced at lexus prices they also loose.... LPPL for them... hahaha

toto: 2 jugs on u!! :nehnehhh:

pg7170 said:
think in UK also quite closely priced....

so come come go go... if Lexus priced at BMW levels... they loose!! n if BMWs priced at lexus prices they also loose.... LPPL for them... hahaha

toto: 2 jugs on u!! :nehnehhh:

Always maintained that if same price, between the IS250 and BMW 325, BMW has a good chance to win.

Don't serve the jugs yet. The joke is on Singapore BMW buyers under the PML price structure. If Lexus and BMW is selling for almost same price for given engine cap in the UK and the US, and Lexus still sells (and growing in the USA) then ....

What do you call Singaporean BMW buyers who buy for any other reason rather than `I don't care the cost, I just want to have maximum driving enjoyment'?

LOL! Eggz is my guiding force here. Only for those who want maximum driving enjoyment are not misguided - in the Sinapore context.

Rub it in? You're rubbing it in the face of BMW owners in Singapore.

Daresay, if SG prices were used in any evaluation between compact executives, BMW would be thrown out (and so will the C-Class and A4, for that matter!)

Thank god that other countries, pricing of Lexus and BMW same. Otherwise, no more BMW awards liao.

michaeltan said:
Daresay, if SG prices were used in any evaluation between compact executives, BMW would be thrown out (and so will the C-Class and A4, for that matter!)

Thank god that other countries, pricing of Lexus and BMW same. Otherwise, no more BMW awards liao.

FYI, awards are not given based solely on price. Most awards won by the car is for its engineering and performance. i just dont see the relevance in pricing in giving awards for cars though it may well be a factor. if thats the case, the perodua kanchil would have won all the awards instead of BMW. now wouldnt that be a sight?! The way you phrase your sentences is as though everyone have a fixed income all over the world and similar to all. thats not the case is it? if that were true, brands and refinements would be the last things these companies would promote in their cars. then we all would be driving perhaps say, a proton? now wouldnt that be boring. :)

michaeltan said:

Every award is based on a set of preset criteria. The crietria will differ from country to country and since in USA, pricing are similar the price factor was irrelevant. Comparison thus made on other considerations. hence, the 'if SG prices were used' is irrelevant to this survey.

I also wished BMW are priced similar to other marques here. I will be a much happier man. If we think we are paying rediculous prices for our BMWs here, indeed it is bcos elswehere our cars cost only 1/2 ro 1/3 of SG prices. However, by the same arguements, any car in SG is rediculously priced, or shld I say over priced. This is the most expensive place on earth for car ownership. Thats why for me personally when I bot my BMW, the premium I paid over other marques wasnt my deciding factor as long as it was within my budget. I bought it bcos I like it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theforestavn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back