320i Engine Dies Out While Driving

Hey guys - have an issue where my 2005 320i's engine died out quietly and abruptly while driving.
This has happened twice so far recently and I'm getting rather concerned. Wondering if anyone else have faced a similar issue before?

Both incidents happened in the mornings after the car had been off for the night for at least 10 hours. Both incidents also happened when starting the engine wasn't smooth (after depressing brake and pedal, engine takes slightly longer than usual to start up) - which also resulted in a transmission error (exclamation mark inside gear cog) showing up in the BC (which disappeared quickly).

These are the following factors that should be taken into consideration:

1) I have a weak battery which have so far resulted in the need to use jumper cables twice in the past year because I had left the aircon and lights on without engine running.

2) I also have the habit of shifting the transmission to "N" whenever possible to coast, and the both incidents happened while the car was coasting on "N".

The first time the engine died - I had already been driving for 10 minutes and I suppose the engine would've been sufficiently warmed up. I was driving at around 70kmh and had shifted from D to N to allow the car to coast. The aircon was off, so the cabin was rather quiet (when the engine died out - my sensitive ears did not notice any difference). After coasting for around 300m, I shifted back to D and stepped on the accelerator but there was no response, and only then did I realise that the engine had died out. Soon thereafter, loss of power steering ensued, and it took quite a lot of heaving of the steering wheel to get the car to turn into a side road. First thought that came to mind was to try the engine start/stop button. I pressed it without depressing the brake pedal and the engine started again normally without a hitch.

The second incident within two minutes of starting the engine in the morning. Engine was cold and similar to incident #1, starting up the car wasn't smooth. I was driving down a steep 100m slope when I shifted to N, engine cut off quietly followed by immediate loss of power steering, pressed start/stop button and engine came back to life normally.

Random possible cause guess -> alternator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 320i Engine Dies Out While Driving

Hi imperial dragon,

Just to share.
I've had a similar situation as your. Sent to PML and was told that the exhaust temp. sensor is faulty. Got it replace at PML's cost (car still under warranty). And happy till today.

Regards.

Q.

Just a comment - I thought its never a good idea to shift gear to N and coast?

People do it i think to save fuel? But if the car is still moving and we re-engaged the gear wouldnt that cause grinding?

Sorry just a layman guess...

I dont understand ur theory of shifting from D to N???

suggest u get a manual car .....

tis habit is endangering other drivers..... i believe ur sensors cut off the engine power..

if u put ur gear in N, u cnt take out ur key fob... wat do tink when u r driving n u put to N???

Probably your car understands that you have a dire need to save fuel thus its adapted to your driving style.
If you want a random guess of what's the fault then I'll say engine fault.

Hey guys - thanks for the response, do really appreciate the advice you all have given. Haha I guess for now I'd stop that bad habit and hopefully the issue won't surface again. Would anyone think it might be attributed to the weak battery issue?

I've created this post mainly because I don't really understand the logic of how the engine can die out when the transmission is shifted to "N" *puzzled* >.

Wah... from N to D while car is moving, thats bad for your car. From N to total stop its still not bad but may i know y u pratice this?

i have similar experiences while at stopping at traffic junction. On the contrary, it was on D mode and the RPM just went down from 800 to zero and just engine just died off. It was pretty nerve-racking indeed. Went straight to AA authorised workshop at old tuck road, computer diagnostic was done but couldn't detect the problem. What the manager (Prakash) did was to tune up t idle RPM from 800 to 900. It helped somewhat but not for long. Next it happened few days after I change the radiator system at the workshop at kaki bukit. It stalled 4 times on the road at traffic junctions. Again diagnostic was done but detected no fault. The mechanic did a flash of the ECU (updates software) and change up the valve. Apparently it worked and no issue till to-date. I went to the mechanic at Synergy KB (worked at BMW for the past 22 years), he told me there were many possibilities related to this problem - software update, oxide sensor, valve cloaked up etc). I would suggest you visit this mechanic to have it run diagnostic for free. He gave good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edwardgoh;1106966 said:
i have similar experiences while at stopping at traffic junction. On the contrary, it was on D mode and the RPM just went down from 800 to zero and just engine just died off. ....
Same experience here, engine died at traffic but start again once I release footbrake. Try that, it works all the time. :sleepy:

Better to get it check. It is really a safety hazard. Don't leave it to luck!

2005 320i gt start stop function???

Tot F series got such function?

I nid to visit to PML bang table liao..

OT 1. - BMW designed some of the F10s to switch into neutral while on the highway ..... its called sailing. It needs an additional motor to keep the ATF flowing. You can configure it to do so even without the motor but your GB would likely blow up after that.

OT 2. - I ever did a D - R at 60 km/h before ...... it had a clicking noise for the entire length of time to stopping followed by a gear box fault code .......

pls use DS to experience the Ultimate Driving Machine

Hi all seniors,

While we are at this topic, just to check if we are in DS mode, do we need to release the accelerator when shifting up or down?

Thanks.

Accent;1107029 said:
Hi all seniors,

While we are at this topic, just to check if we are in DS mode, do we need to release the accelerator when shifting up or down?

Thanks.

If shifting up - step pedal harder
If shifting down - step pedal softer

Maybe that's why it's called steptronic.

Try not to do the other way round though ...... Haha !

theimperialdragon;1106946 said:
Hey guys - have an issue where my 2005 320i's engine died out quietly and abruptly while driving.
This has happened twice so far recently and I'm getting rather concerned. Wondering if anyone else have faced a similar issue before?

Had a similar experience 2 years ago when I ran out of petrol.

theimperialdragon;1106963 said:
I've created this post mainly because I don't really understand the logic of how the engine can die out when the transmission is shifted to "N" *puzzled* >.

Red_Bean_Bun;1107036 said:
If shifting up - step pedal harder
If shifting down - step pedal softer

Maybe that's why it's called steptronic.

Try not to do the other way round though ...... Haha !

Sometimes my car behaved the other way round. Whenever I slam on the gas pedal, it downshifts. After that when I step softer, the transmission upshifts. Maybe I should send my car into your workshop for a health check?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mileooo
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back