320i or 323i

Re: 320i or 323i

If you don't like to get "chiet" by a Mazda 6 2.3, IS250, Mark X or even a Honda Accord JDM, bro, get the 325!!!!!

BELLISSIMO;166986 said:
If you don't like to get "chiet" by a Mazda 6 2.3, IS250, Mark X or even a Honda Accord JDM, bro, get the 325!!!!!

yeah... i drive a 320 n after some mods like coil booster n sprint booster plus a sebring xhaust.. i still lose to a jdm 2l accord. sad...

i tried a is250 before the 320 n i liked the drive of the 320 better. the is250 feels a bit soft to me also n the steering is too light. price is good though. handling wise bmw wins hands down..

opvaulet;165925 said:
Agree with DRV. Yes, the IS does not feel as fast as it is, though stock cars in sg have g-teched sub 8 secs to 100, and pwr mode makes a huge diff to throttle response (bit like sprint booster).

Stick with at least the 325. In comparison to the IS the 323 is just slow. 330i means you really buy the essense of the brand (engine) and what it stands for. My brother has one. Fantastic.

Being a first time bimmer owner, I also regretted getting a 320i(due to some screw up I didnt get the 323i). I agree with E90 chassis is optimised for the 330i engine(now the 335i engine in Europe), others are just scaled down for marketing. If Lexus build their next generation IS closer to BMW 3 series, I might switch camps:nehnehhh:

come on brothers...........

bottom line is, we are the BMW owners, is the quality of ride we are enjoying

is not that bad after all yea

racingaprilia;166999 said:
yeah... i drive a 320 n after some mods like coil booster n sprint booster plus a sebring xhaust.. i still lose to a jdm 2l accord. sad...

i tried a is250 before the 320 n i liked the drive of the 320 better. the is250 feels a bit soft to me also n the steering is too light. price is good though. handling wise bmw wins hands down..

very easy, lure them to some bends, then u will show them what is UDM! :nehnehhh:

Hi,

Not a BMW owner yet, but tested the 325i, 323i, 320i and IS250 quite enthusiastically. I prefer BMW's precision in handling and the firm (not hard) ride. Interestingly, I found that IS250 runs out of puff towards higher RPM. A problem unique to the demo car?

Anyway, I am taking my time to decide between a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon and a E91 Touring. Does anyone here aware of any handling difference between 325i Sedan and Touring? Thanks in advance.

I hope my post is not :offtopic:

originalsin;167083 said:
Hi,

Not a BMW owner yet, but tested the 325i, 323i, 320i and IS250 quite enthusiastically. I prefer BMW's precision in handling and the firm (not hard) ride. Interestingly, I found that IS250 runs out of puff towards higher RPM. A problem unique to the demo car?

Anyway, I am taking my time to decide between a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon and a E91 Touring. Does anyone here aware of any handling difference between 325i Sedan and Touring? Thanks in advance.

I hope my post is not :offtopic:

That's odd, usually 6-cyl engines are quite keen to rev to the redline.
Plus the Lexus 4GR-FSE engine's max output of 205bhp comes at 6400rpm.
Possibly due to the new car that's not run in yet.

Legacy GT is a nice car but not quite the same comparison as the 325i Touring.
Price is about $50k difference. :(
Power is 250 vs 218hp, 4WD vs RWD.
Legacy can store a lot more stuff, the 325i Touring's storage capacity is honestly not all too great.
Haven't tried the 325i Touring but heard that the handling for the BMW Touring cars are still excellent, unless you load the trunk will lots of stuff.
If you want the extra space but cannot forgo BMW characteristics, then 325i Touring is great - but be prepared to pay $$$ for less space and specs than Legacy.

originalsin;167083 said:
Interestingly, I found that IS250 runs out of puff towards higher RPM. A problem unique to the demo car?

I suggest you test the IS250 again, but with the "ECT Power" switch in ON position.
That will deliver the rated engine spec.

In 'normal' mode, the ECU will not drag the RPMs, nor allow any gear to reach anywhere near red line. It just 'flattens' off ... designed more for day-to-day driving, for fuel economy.

The real aficionados (bros that indulge in Z4, M3, M5, 645 and up) aside, a number of bros in the previous replies claimed that in deciding between the IS250 and the 320/323, the decision was made on the very fact that the 3-series handles and takes corners better and that it has better legroom.

I dare say that the decision was made because we are all die-hards. This is despite the availability of a more superior alternative at about the same price. I for one am guilty of that too!

If the brands/models were switched, one would say that the 3-series won over because of its drop-dead gorgeous looks and its relatively powerful 205hp engine. The smaller legroom and slightly sluggish low-end torque wouldn't matter anymore!

Look, we are BMW die-hards!

Having tested the following before biting on the UDM :yummie: .

Audi A6 2.0T FSI - Nothing against Audi, impecable build quality... but can't stomach the CVT. Feels like a rubber band effect when accelerating and steering lacks feedback.

Note - Hardcore Bros, do check out the TQM models, those are some sweet and serious handling heaven.

Lexus IS250 - Er, have to admit... everything (power, insulation, finish, etc) is better than everyone else... apart from the cramp rear. But... but dunno how to put it.. just feels like lacking something... steering not as sharp as UDM (my preference for heavier feedback).

Alfa 159 - Have to admit, very nearly seduced by this Italian beauty. Behaves like a Frauline below 3000rpm, becomes an Italian Vixen above 3000rpm. Selespeed is fast and nearly jerk free... gear change, i purposely dump 2 gears down and no jerk at all. Just the JTS engine roaring all the way... she begs to be flogged, this alfa :woowooo: .
BUT... rear space is cramped. Cannot squeeze family in... :juggle:

Sorry if am :offtopic: .

I think as an all round package, its hard to beat. Others may be quieter, have more toys, be better built etc but the 3 is a total all in one package

BELLISSIMO;167210 said:
The real aficionados (bros that indulge in Z4, M3, M5, 645 and up) aside, a number of bros in the previous replies claimed that in deciding between the IS250 and the 320/323, the decision was made on the very fact that the 3-series handles and takes corners better and that it has better legroom.

I dare say that the decision was made because we are all die-hards. This is despite the availability of a more superior alternative at about the same price. I for one am guilty of that too!

If the brands/models were switched, one would say that the 3-series won over because of its drop-dead gorgeous looks and its relatively powerful 205hp engine. The smaller legroom and slightly sluggish low-end torque wouldn't matter anymore!

I HAVE TO AGREE :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: , can't be better said. Clap Clap Clap

I don't care what BMW produces, it's a BMW with that roundel in the front of the car.
No L sign is going to take that away. The only ones that I would give up the BMW roundel for are probably the Horse, Bull, Trident, and Wings (Bentley or Aston are both just as fine).

And once you're used to switching on the lights from the dash, and signalling with your left hand... cannot go back to signally with right hand and twisting the knob for the lights :juggle:

Hubba;167229 said:
Having tested the following before biting on the UDM :yummie: .

Audi A6 2.0T FSI - Nothing against Audi, impecable build quality... but can't stomach the CVT. Feels like a rubber band effect when accelerating and steering lacks feedback. .

2.0T FSI is actually quicker than 523i 'cos
1) More torque from turbo
2) CVT is quicker than torque-converter automatic

But agree with Hubba, CVT feels odd 'cos the revs built up quickly and hold there. Esp when 2.0T FSI is quite a noisy engine, does not befit luxury cruiser like the A6.
Brakes and steering on audi is nowhere near E60.

Hubba;167229 said:
Lexus IS250 - Er, have to admit... everything (power, insulation, finish, etc) is better than everyone else... apart from the cramp rear. But... but dunno how to put it.. just feels like lacking something... steering not as sharp as UDM (my preference for heavier feedback).
BUT... rear space is cramped. Cannot squeeze family in... :juggle: .

It's lacking the BMW roundel lah... cannot compare.
It's like when I buy my Aston V8 Roadster (in my dreams), I'm not going to make excuses and say that some other car is cheaper, has more options, or more power. The others just don't make the grade.

Kudos to all those who bought their E90... whether the 320i or 323i. It's your budget, it's your choice, but enjoy the car all the same. :cloud9:

BELLISSIMO;167210 said:

Interesting and logical perspective.

My perspective is not dissimilar; about 15 years ago BMW shocked the world, and checkmated MB with the e34 5 series. Since then, many of us may have grown up and entered our careers with aspirations of owning a BMW. For many, the fulfilling of that dream is the acquiring of a bimmer; the mark of success. And its still Europe's leading premium manufacturer. During my parents era, it was a MB.

I read somewhere that BMW and Apple are the two brands where owners defend the brand if they bought a defective product. That's a true mark of success.

A car salesman once told me not to consider the best seller in any segment, but the third best selling one. Its likely that you get the most out of them as they are trying the hardest to please. BMW was the third back then, behind MB and Jag. It maybe that the same thing is playing out again. Of course Jag seems out of this race, for now anyway.

BMW then offered an alternative to MB's. A sporty car that embued german engineering qualities and a youthful image that still equated prestiege. Of course MB pooh poohed it. How wrong they were! Now Lexus is saying their experience is one of refinement, attention to detail, ownership experience, enginnering excellence and consistancy. Its beginning to pay off. For them and its good news to us bimmer fans. Any pressure to bring up quality and value will ultimately benefit us. In fact, they maybe doing what MB should have done a long time ago.

From what i understand, here in sg anyway, 50% of Lexus owners are converts from MB, a rather smaller percentage from BMW. So BMW's lead is here to stay. As for BMW vs Lexus; its like tic tac toe; this debate will go on forever. One always loses when measured on other's terms. I am fortunate to have both. And loving every moment.

i've used to own e36 and e46 before moving on to e90

if there's one thing which could possibly put me off and make me switch to other makes is reliability of the car -- whilst i did not suffer any major problems with my bimmers -- there were minor issues with the cars which require trouble shooting -- e.g. e46; the plastic gutter that runs along the side of the door (above the windows) would pop out and cause leakage during rain (yes, rain water running into the car like a mini water fall), and this problem would present itself at another door after every few months :furious:

the lexus styling has improved significantly since its launch and is now a close competitor -- if the is250 offered more rear passenger space -- i would have considered the is250 seriously

remember the current is250 is only the 2nd generation compact executive from lexus, bmw cannot afford to stand still -- i'm sure folks at bmw know it too...

Hi E83_X3,
Thanks for the info on that special button on IS250. Will give it a try again if I decide to stick to sedan shape. At the moment, I still prefer the practicality of a wagon :)

Hi DRV,
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, 50k is a significant difference. How much that will matter will depend on whether I use my heart or brain to decide :laughlik:

DRV;167245 said:
Kudos to all those who bought their E90... whether the 320i or 323i. It's your budget, it's your choice, but enjoy the car all the same. :cloud9:
i second this statement:)

opvaulet;167248 said:
From what i understand, here in sg anyway, 50% of Lexus owners are converts from MB, a rather smaller percentage from BMW.
i know quite a few guys did just that, mostly a E200 to a GS300...look at our PM, understand that his personal car used to be a Merc but now is a Lexus...not heard of any swicthing from a bimmer though...

BELLISSIMO;166986 said:

It not that bad lah.... Mz6 2.3L, Accord JDM (not R) should not be a problem for the 320. The IS250 and the Mark X, close call.

racingaprilia;166999 said:

Care to share your experience (maybe you can PM me). ;)

majestic;158948 said:
Well, we went with the 320i today (TiAg/Black). Very excited as it should be delivered on Dec 5 and it's my birthday on the 6th! We chose the 320 over the C180K because the E90 is so new, but the C-class is on its way out (plus minor advantages like the built-in iPod connection).

Our PML rep was very attentive and helpful - just PM me if you'd like her details.

And THANK YOU funcar and gadgets for helping me get an additional discount!

I'm also considering getting a 320i. Have not had any luck negotiating for discounts. Could you pls PM me your SE's name and also PM me to let me know how to get discounts? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88events
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back