320i under-perform recently.

Re: 320i under-perform recently.

teriyaki;657966 said:
mine in deep trouble...

loss power totally, and whole car vibrates...

not sure if is it due to that day drive until 0 petrol left....

time for servicing.............what's your mileage done? when was last serviced?

cheers

dun run the E90 empty. u might damage the fuel pump...

detach8;658099 said:
dun run the E90 empty. u might damage the fuel pump...
That applies to all BMW. Not even lower than 3/4 as fuel pump uses petrol for cooling.

roylow;658347 said:
Only for e90?

think he meant for all cars...........

cheers

Generally for cars, but for BMW cos of the way our fuel tank is like two balls dangling beside the drive shaft, the likelyhood of running the pump dry is higher.

Thanks... in short for all cars it is best to pump when the fuel warning light up. Right?

Hi,

am new in this. Got an 06 320i and was driving fine. A couple of weeks on, i realised that at times (maybe once per drive), my usual moderate light footing on the accelerator will cause the car to shudder during gear change (maybe from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th). Would like to qualify that I am on auto mode. The shudder would go away when I step harder on the accelerator. The shuddering feel is similar to how a manual car is about to stall when the accelerator wasn't stepped firmed enough.

I would thought that a moderate light but constant footing would accelerate the car smoothly as it progresses up the gears.

Has anyone faced such a problem before? Could it be due to the need for servicing, need for ATF change, some problem in fuel pressure or some problem with the gear box, or spark plugs? I can't seem to find out more from the internet and hence, would like to ask bros around in this forum. If I am not wrong, the last servicing was done about 16K kms ago.

Many thanks!

roylow;659079 said:
Thanks... in short for all cars it is best to pump when the fuel warning light up. Right?

I would think so. At times, I pump when there's 1/4 left if there's a petrol station nearby. :)

pjlee25;660181 said:
Hi,

am new in this. Got an 06 320i and was driving fine. A couple of weeks on, i realised that at times (maybe once per drive), my usual moderate light footing on the accelerator will cause the car to shudder during gear change (maybe from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th). Would like to qualify that I am on auto mode. The shudder would go away when I step harder on the accelerator. The shuddering feel is similar to how a manual car is about to stall when the accelerator wasn't stepped firmed enough.

I would thought that a moderate light but constant footing would accelerate the car smoothly as it progresses up the gears.

Has anyone faced such a problem before? Could it be due to the need for servicing, need for ATF change, some problem in fuel pressure or some problem with the gear box, or spark plugs? I can't seem to find out more from the internet and hence, would like to ask bros around in this forum. If I am not wrong, the last servicing was done about 16K kms ago.

Many thanks!

Sounds like your car is in the wrong gear and struggling to make torque?

My old 2006 Feb E90 didn't have this problem. My new 2011 E90 LCI had this problem and I figured it was the gearbox being more "eco" loves to shift up too early resulting in engine RPM below 1500. My old 2006 E90 maintained RPM near 2000 range most of the time and gave good torque. I switched to V-power and it went away. I will switch back to Esso 98 and try in the coming weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

detach8;660558 said:

My old 2006 Feb E90 didn't have this problem. My new 2011 E90 LCI had this problem and I figured it was the gearbox being more "eco" loves to shift up too early resulting in engine RPM below 1500. My old 2006 E90 maintained RPM near 2000 range most of the time and gave good torque. I switched to V-power and it went away. I will switch back to Esso 98 and try in the coming weeks.

Yeah... i like your description better. It's seems to be in a higher gear than it should!
The shuddering goes off by either stepping more on the accelerator OR just getting the foot off the pedal for that moment.

Hmm... I am using 95-grade petrol currently. Perhaps I will try the 98-grade and see if I face the same problem. I do hope that it is really the grade of petrol that is causing this problem.

You need to give your engine around 1 tank full to adapt to the new fuel grade. I'd suggest you go for V-power for 1 tank, then go down to 98.

I've yet to use up the full tank. The problem goes away when I am not using the automatic drive mode.

I tried the "Sports" mode. I noticed that the rev is higher, and the RPM was never dropped below 2000. The gear change was smooth and there was no jerking.

Back to the problem, as it happens only in the normal "drive" mode, the shuddering happens when the RPM is around 1300-1500. I guess it is a case of low RPM on a higher-than-required gear.

Now that it works well on the Sports mode, but not that well on the Drive mode. I would think that there is no problem with the petrol? plugs, plug cables, engine and gear box? I would like to hear that the problem is caused by dirty throttle body or maybe the reset of the ECU.

Correct me if my deduction is wrong, mates.

Our valvetronic engine does not use the throttle body for air intake, The variable valve lift is our "throttle body". So no need to clean throttle body.

But possibly old sparks - get the sparks checked.

Hi,

Problem of jerking solved. The plugs' gap is too wide!
Not sure what was the reason for a widern plug in the first place.

:)

The grade of petrol will not dictate how your gearbox shifts leh.

Ignition timing yes, but nothing more.

pjlee25;667040 said:
Hi,

Problem of jerking solved. The plugs' gap is too wide!
Not sure what was the reason for a widern plug in the first place.

:)

wear and tear... center electrode gets worn over time.

Wh0cArEs;667045 said:
wear and tear... center electrode gets worn over time.

hmm, are you saying that over time, the gap will be widened?

What my mechanic did was just narrowing the gap. The plugs were not changed though.

detach8;660558 said:

Sorry to dig out an old thread but what you have described is exactly what I have been feeling when driving my 2009 E90 320... The gears always upshift too eagerly. This problem will go away every time the ecu is reset. And the problem will come back after the ecu becomes retarded again. After driving 150KM or so...

Have you found any solutions yet other than changing car...?

drive in sport mode... the rpm will stay higher

is either fuel economy or higher torque.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwinltd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back