320i vs C180/C200

Scooby75

Bros.... any comments on the 320i compared to the newly launched C180/C200?
Looks n price n performance :juggle:

Re: 320i vs C180/C200

Scooby75;265678 said:
Bros.... any comments on the 320i compared to the newly launched C180/C200?
Looks n price n performance :juggle:

There is a 3series-C class shootout article in Autocar Asean September issue. The author believed the 3 is still the car to beat.

you want to go to track, the 320 will probably beat the C180 and neck to neck with the C200. It'll be an exciting exciting match.

On the roads, you'd probably appreciate the better ride and higher comfort levels on the C-class.

THe C is more street optimized, the 320 is more `track' optimized, just a REALLY small difference between the 2. I feel the C's optimization/compromise is better. But then, it's you who's driving.
Quality wise, they're both germans, both crappy in the things you can't see.

320 - better drive
c180/c200 - better comfort

bmw - higher insurance, 2 litre roadtax, na engine (regardless of the amt of $ spent, your performance gain will be peanuts), facelift coming in 2008/2009.

merc - cheaper insurance, 1.8 litre cheaper roadtax, kompressor engine cheaper to remap for more performance gain, swanky new model

personally i'll take the drive... take both cars for a test drive through jervois road, you'll see the real difference.... the is250 performed badly in those bends... don't have to drive fast, take your time through the bends, you'll see how much roll...

My 2 cents worth... dun flame me.

Exterior looks: 3 Series more muscular.
Interior looks: C Class wins hands down.

Engine: C200 1.8L Supercharged.
Engine: 320i 2L NA. Easier to maintain.

Other points:

C Class more expensive at the same engine capacity.
C Class is a newer model release. Will last longer before model change.

mrericlee, some good points you have mentioned..

also just to add a friend of mine mentioned no need to buy the c200 just pay lots less,get the c180 and remap and tune outside or even swap a better supercharger...all in, much less than the diff in price and you still get the power and cheap road tax etc.

but only solely from a power and potential perspective...not taking into account stuff like handling and the advanced agility package which costs $4K+ more. THAT, changes everything man.

if you can afford both, and you're an aesthetic person. go with the one that turns you on everyday, every morning, every lunch and every evening you dying to drive. cost to maintain should be close, comparatively similar. I heard for C you can bargain for more Service Dollars, you might safe some huge cost in servicing.

I like better handling car, I choose BMW cos out of the box its still better than the new C. :thumbsup:

good luck on your new cars search.

Choose the car that gives you the oompph every morning! Between the 2, I choose the BMW3, though I drive the LegacyGT.

kurqa where can the mapping / tunning be done? what are the power gains like?

Think you should compare the 320i with the C180. Reason being price. While the C200 is priced in the 323i category. There would also most likely be different add-ons that come with either model C180/C200.

hi ferd, i think you should ask caySman about the C, PM him...i remember he tested it and had some great review and comments...the adv agility package comes with the "sport" button an it improves throttle response, firms up the suspension and stuff like that and also comes with steering paddle shifters.

hi venomX2, personally i have no idea where the tuning can be done although i suspect the juzz4cars/BVO equivalent for mercs might be MBM or some other places. this one have to ask the others...as for the supercharger upgrade this was told to me by a friend who works for C&C. I can try to ask him in greater detail or they might have lobangs..

i recall some time back CarBuyer did a review for our local context between the 323 and the c200 because they are similar in price and basic performance context. so you are right...the main diff is although the c200 produces an already good 184bhp while the 323 has slightly less with 177, the bmw has the inline6 which is totally different from the 4cyl in the merc. if smoothness and engine appreciation are for you then clearly no fight take the 323. of course c200 got lower road tax etc. but both cars should be very good by any standards already so i think ultimately still boils down to personal preference and aesthetics.

kurqa, do update me once you check with your friend. Thanks. I remember asking a local workshop but was told the connector is different else they could have a look as well.

The agility add-on is an electronically regulated damping system that constantly adjusts to the driving conditions.

This is great, guys! :lol2:
So much more insight into the 2 rides.

Personally went for the drives on the 2 models: C180 & 320i

Felt more confident in the Bimmer, but steering kind of tight at low speed (not for my CO liking). Like the engine purr at high revs and the simple interior.
No C180 for drives, so only the C200 was all I could lay my hands on: overwhelmed by the interior, too much buttons here n there, kind of distracted, and not impressed with engine purr at high revs.

Looks like the choice is clear, but somehow choice is affected by "facelift" that is due in 2008/2009.

Keep the comments coming dudes..... :singsing:

While you're at this class of car, check out the Audi A4.

IMHO driving wise nothing beats the white C200 with the advanced agility package. But you'd want a 6 cylinder, so screw all the 320, C200, etc and start looking at the C230 and 323 already!

Haiz.... i have so much to share, but it is might as well forget it, because nobody will listen to it, coz people have to got make mistakes first.

In case you're gonna take me on blind faith:
1) Damn just go for the 6 cylinder cars, not the 4.
2) German cars suck big on electronics and sensors
3) You will lose so much money on a `higher CC than lowest' car that unless you're prepared you will be quite depressed. But once you're prepared that's fine.
4) The best car for the city is a Honda Jazz/Fit.
5) A luxury car or sports sedan is for showing off only, but once you get it you'd realise what they hell, people got even bigger cars! What's there to show off?
6) If you want a great drive and 4 seats please, just go for the Evo, or get a 2nd hand E46 3 litre.
7) else go for a miata or porsche or ferrari or something really nice to drive.
8) Buying 2nd hand or 1st hand for a german cars, will still have big issues, so WTF just go for a 2nd hand
9) You can get the new car smell by buying mink oil, search these forums for `new car smell' or `mink oil' you'll find it.
10) I'm supposed to be in the middle of a mid life crisis so my posts sound a little bit like a bitch.

Agree with you. If one wants just the drive and handling, need only to look at these cars in the $100K to $250K range:

- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Toyota MR-S (recently discontinued)
- Lotus Elise-S, or Exige (the most-balanced handling sports car, IMHO)

E83_X3;266109 said:
Agree with you. If one wants just the drive and handling, need only to look at these cars in the $100K to $250K range:

- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Toyota MR-S (recently discontinued)
- Lotus Elise-S, or Exige (the most-balanced handling sports car, IMHO)
agree but when you say `balanced' for the elise I wince. I would think that a better balance had been achieved by the Cayman and the NSX if it were still existent. I really find the elise a little too extreme for the street.

Unless you're talking about `handling balance' where I got nothing to argue about, no data to support (save the article by Motor trend here) America's Best Handling Car - Motor Trend where the spiderman graph was most round for the Cayman.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back